Zombie King is a premium super-rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Hearty class. It costs 4 to play, and has 5. Its ability transforms a random zombie into a Knight of the Living Dead with 5/5 and Armored 2 whenever it is on the field at the start of every turn. However, it cannot transform Knights of the Living Dead themselves.
- Class: Hearty
- Tribe: Mustache History Zombie
- Ability: End of Turn: Transform another random Zombie into a Knight of the Living Dead.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
Contrary to popular opinion, it's just OK to be king.
Zombie King is a brute force to reckon with. It can easily turn the tide of the battle almost instantly. While it may not attack, its ability certainly makes up for it. Using this as early as possible is the optimal use, as getting Knights of the Living Dead early is a good advantage, as they are very tanky and damaging. Another good thing is that Zombie King has 5 , which means it can sustain most attacks early in the battle. Using this with cheap fighters is also recommended, as it will turn a weak zombie into a very powerful force.
However, if this is still in play while playing an expensive card like Octo Zombie or Zombot Plank Walker, beware, as the Zombie King can turn those into Knights as well, essentially downgrading them.
Allowing this zombie to upgrade Amphibious zombies is an extremely good idea, as there are not many Amphibious plants strong enough to take Knights of the Living Dead out.
Having two of these out on the field at once may not help, as they can potentially transform each other into Knights of the Living Dead as well.
Considering using Coffee Zombie after this has transformed many zombies into Knights of the Living Dead, as the Coffee Zombie will give each of the Knights, the King and itself +1/+1 as well as Frenzy, creating an unstoppable force that will tank extreme amounts of damage, destroy all plants in their path and strike through to the hero.
This is a very difficult zombie to confront, despite not having any strength. Because of this, using any plant with damage is safe to use in its lane. However, the zombie hero can pull out tricks, so take note. Bouncing Zombie King is overall an okay idea, as it will not transform a zombie on field into a Knight of the Living Dead. Most likely though, it will appear again the next turn. Another strategy is to destroy all the other zombies (if you can't destroy the king), as it won't be able to transform anyone. Plants that do damage to all zombies like Sour Grapes or Kernel Corn are great, as they can whittle down its health. However, the Knights of the Living Dead will be untouched. To deal with them, using Doom-Shroom will easily take all of them out, at the cost of plants as well. Mirror-Nut can also help, as it can provide easy fodder to Knights to attack the zombie hero directly. Since this zombie has no strength, Whack-a-Zombie and Chomper can instantly take this out.
While the player can leave Zombie Kings on the field to allow stronger zombies to be transformed into weaker Knights of the Living Dead, it could be costly to the player to do so as the Knights of the Living Dead will steamroll through most early-game plants.
- Its special ability is a reference to its ability in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- In Plants vs. Zombies 2, it can only transform Peasant Zombies, Conehead Peasants and Buckethead Peasants into knights by giving them knight helms. In this game however, he can transform nearly anything into Knights of the Living Dead, up to and including Imps, Gargantuars, machinery, animals and even other Zombie Kings.
- As Neptuna, if you get a Super Block and use Octo-pult immediately after getting it with a Zombie King on the lawn, the Octo-Pet will instantly become a Knight of the Living Dead when it spawns.
- Zombie King can transform an amphibious zombie in the pool lane into a Knight of the Living Dead. This is possibly an oversight.
- Its description is a reference to the quotation "It's Good To Be (The) King" from the 1981 movie History of the World, Part 1.
- This, Jester and Knight of the Living Dead are the only zombies from Dark Ages to be featured in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
- It is the only one of these zombies to not have its name changed.