Witch Hazel is an event plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Smarty class. She costs 4 to play and has 3. She does not have any traits, and her ability makes a Puff-Shroom on a random lane, then instantly destroys the zombie on that lane at the end of every turn, starting from the turn she is played. This ability activates even if the lane is occupied by two plants or on an aquatic lane, and the Puff-Shroom will either be made on another random lane or not be made at all.
Her description is a reference to the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where a group of villagers are trying to figure out if a woman is a witch. During the conversation, a villager suggests to build a bridge out of the woman, to see if she is made of wood and is, therefore, a witch.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribe: Flower Plant
- Traits: None
- Ability: End of turn: Destroy a random Zombie and make a 1/1 with Team-Up there.
- Set: Event
Zombies are always trying to build a bridge out of her.
- Added to the game.
- ▼ Health change: 2 → 1
- ▲ Health change: 1 → 3
Despite her stats being weak for her cost, she can destroy a random zombie regardless of health and make a Puff-Shroom played in the same lane that zombie is destroyed. Keep in mind that this plant is clearly luck-based as she can devastatingly get rid of either a stronger zombie or a weaker one on the field. You will also want to take note that if she manages to destroy a zombie in the water, a Puff-Shroom will not be made there as Puff-Shroom does not have the Amphibious trait. If Go-Nuts are on the field, all Team-Up plants will get +1 every turn as long as Witch Hazel has zombies to destroy.
If you want Witch Hazel to target the zombie that you want it to destroy, simply try to destroy all other zombies to improve her chances. Overall, she can be a useful plant if used correctly.
Each hero has their own uses with Witch Hazel:
- Nightcap can use this plant to his advantage as he can use Astro-Shrooms to do damage to the zombie hero every time a Puff-Shroom is made from Witch Hazel's ability. The Puff-Shrooms made from Witch Hazel can also be useful in a mushroom deck with Buff-Shroom and Punish-Shroom. Nightcap can also use any extra Puff-Shrooms made to make extra Pineclones but also remove this plant. Finally, Nightcap can give Witch Hazel strength so that she can defend herself.
- Citron and Beta-Carrotina can protect this plant with Wall-Nut and other high-health plants. They can also use Pecanolith, Spineapple, Loco Coco, or Three-Nut to allow Witch Hazel to attack back, although her Puff-Shrooms do not fit well with any. They can also use Force Field to prevent Witch Hazel from taking damage, although Citron also has superpowers that can protect her such as Peel Shield. They can also boost her health with Photosynthesizer.
- Green Shadow can boost her with boosting cards such as Grow-Shroom, Lily of the Valley, or Fertilize to prevent her from being destroyed easily. She can also play Onion Rings to make Witch Hazel a 4/4. However, she should watch out for Rocket Science. She can also play Umbrella Leaf to give it Untrickable to block it from zombie tricks.
- Rose can use her in her flower decks where Power Flower can heal her health while any zombie that hurts Witch Hazel will be destroyed by Briar Rose.
While her stats are weak for 4, her ability can destroy your stronger zombies while making a 1/1 Puff-Shroom with Team-Up there. But luckily, her ability is completely luck-based, so filling the field with weak zombies can increase the chances of Witch Hazel not targeting strong zombies you have on the board.
- She is currently the second Smarty card that can instantly destroy zombies, the first being Winter Squash.
- She is the only one of the two that does not require extra cards to do so.