|Whack a Zombie|
|Variation||Whack a Zombie|
|Difficulty||Medium-Hard (Extremely Easy if in iOS and Nintendo DS versions) (Very Hard if in Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions)|
- It's just like huntin' squirbos.
- — Crazy Dave
Whack a Zombie is a mini-game based on Adventure Mode level 2-5, a Bonus Level. The player uses a mallet to whack zombies that rise from graves all over the right half of the lawn. As the level continues, the zombies get faster. Different zombies take different amount of hits before they die. The player also earns sun to buy helpful plants.
- Cherry Bomb (Level 2-5 and iOS only)
- Potato Mine
- Grave Buster
- Ice-shroom (replaces Cherry Bomb in other game modes)
StrategiesThe player uses their mallet to whack zombies to get coins and sun with which you can plant Ice-shrooms (Cherry Bombs in the Adventure Mode and iOS version), Potato Mines, and Grave Busters. As in Wall-nut Bowling, Zombies take one hit, Conehead Zombies two, and Buckethead Zombies three.
Initially, Grave Busters should be used to destroy the graves closest to the player's house, working backwards towards the edge of the lawn. As the level progresses, it is a good idea to systematically use Grave Busters so that eventually the only graves remaining are in one horizontal row (or at most two adjacent ones); this will group all the zombies together and thus make it easier to whack them. Also, since destroying too many graves causes multiple new ones to spawn at a time, it is ideal to leave exactly four graves, and then only destroy new ones as soon as they spawn.
Ice-shrooms or Cherry Bombs should be used wisely, as their recharge time stops them from being used more than twice. Potato Mines can also be planted in front of the Lawn Mowers to stop single zombies. Since the zombies walk faster and faster as the level progresses, the player will probably need an Ice-shroom right before the final wave.
When the level is complete, the player can, until they run out of sun, keep planting Grave Busters on the remaining graves. If they are lucky they can quickly remove all the graves. On the iPad version, the player should turn off the mutitasking gestures to use as many fingers as possible without interrupting the game by mistake.
This strategy is simple: the player would use Grave Busters to remove as many graves as they can. If the player has enough sun at the end of the level, they wouldn't grab the money bag. The player would use Grave Busters to eat as many graves as they can, then collect the Money Bag.
- There are Cherry Bombs in the Adventure Mode version because Ice-shroom hasn't been unlocked yet.
- It is impossible to remove all of the graves before the final wave of the level, because some time or another a new grave will rise up (and if there are less than four graves when one spawns, multiple will spawn to make five). However, if you have enough sun at the end of the level, you can remove the rest of the graves before collecting the Trophy or Money Bag.
- If you type the code "dance" it will make the zombies go slower than usual in this Mini-game.
- However, new zombies will dance fast.
- This is the only night-time mini-game that plays the "Loonboon" track. However, editing saved data can make a Whack a Zombie on day, pool, fog, roof and roof night. Your cursor, however, will be invisible.
- You cannot collect the achievement, "Photosensitive," in the DS and DSi versions of Whack a Zombie.
- You can use multiple mallets in the iPad version, but not in iPod Touch/iPhone and DS versions because of non-multitouch software.
- The achievement No Fungus Among Us can't be unlocked after you beat this level.
- This is the first Mini-game where you only have three seed packets on your seed tray, along with Beghouled and Beghouled Twist.
- This and Homerun Derby are the only mini-games in which a single zombie type can have multiple speeds. The Zombies can walk with speeds ranging from their normal speed to speeds faster than a Football Zombie or an Imp (I, Zombie version).
- The difficulty of this game in the Xbox and PS3 versions is harder, due to the fact that the player needs to drag the frame to the zombie, then click on a button to kill a zombie (since there is effectively a maximum speed at which you can drag the frame from one lane to the opposite lane on the lawn).
- If you're not playing the Xbox or PS3 versions, you can spend your remaining sun on Grave Busters, just to get the coins. You can keep spending until you have no sun left, or not enough to buy another Grave Buster.
- This refers the game Whack a Mole.
- If you modify the saved data from Dr. Zomboss's Revenge to Whack a Zombie, the Zombot will be attackable, and will disappear only in one hit.
- Dr. Zomboss will also disappear.
- On the iOS and Android versions, the Ice-shroom is replaced by the Cherry Bomb. This is most likely so the player cannot easily earn the achievement 20 Below Zero on the final wave.
- The Zombies have varying speeds, from normal to as fast as or significantly faster than Zombie Nimble Zombie Quick whenever they appear.
- †: Strategy page