Valkyrie is a premium legendary zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Crazy class. She costs 3 to play, and has 6. She does not have any traits, and her ability gives her +2 every time a zombie is destroyed when the zombie hero is holding her in their hand.
She is based on a valkyrie, one of a host of female figures in Norse mythology who chooses those who may die in battle and those who may live.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Dancing History Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: While in your hand: This gets +2 when a Zombie is destroyed.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Legendary
It's not easy hitting those high notes when all you can sing is, "Braaaaains."
- Rarity change: Super-Rare → Legendary
- Animation change: Legendary shine added.
- ▲ Tribe added: Dancing
Valkyrie is a unique card, starting with no strength. However, while she is in the player's hand, she gains 2 strength for every zombie that was destroyed. This allows the player to keep her until late-game when she becomes capable of destroying anything or play her early to mid-game where she has a decent amount of strength and can become a threat.
It is best to play this zombie later in the game, due to many zombies having most likely been destroyed at that point, therefore, making this zombie even more powerful. If the player does not want to go offensive at the moment or needs to block a hit from a strong plant, they can use Valkyrie, which, due to her high base health, can be tough to destroy. However, due to her strong late-game potential, this is generally not a good idea.
A rush deck that consists of many low-health zombies are the best, as it lets Valkyrie gain strength faster. Fortunately, the Crazy class itself is suited for this, as it includes lots of frail zombies like Mystery Egg, Tennis Champ, and Barrel of Deadbeards, as well as zombies that make other zombies like Disco Zombie and Zombie's Best Friend.
Every Crazy hero has their own synergies with Valkyrie:
- Professor Brainstorm's Brainy cards have the best synergy with Valkyrie once she gains enough strength. The most infamous synergy is the Valkyrie + Mustache Monument/Lurch for Lunch combo, allowing Valkyrie to instantly finish his opponent (or a plant fronting her, but that lane will still be open nonetheless unless there are two plants there) with a bonus attack before they get to do anything, and since Valkyrie is best played later in the game, he will have enough brains to execute it in one turn. Teleport is also an option if he wishes to protect Valkyrie from tricks and bonus attacks, although he is better off playing her on the Zombies Play phase if he uses Mustache Monument. For minor synergies, he can use Parasol Zombie to protect her from tricks if Valkyrie stays on the field for long, or draw cards easily if he hasn't obtained her during the mulligan phase.
- Electric Boogaloo can use a pet deck, since many of them tend to rush with Zookeeper and Cat Lady. To clear the way, instant-kill tricks like Locust Swarm and B-flat work, but Area 22 is a cheaper card to use since Valkyrie will be able to clear the way herself with her Frenzy trait. If Valkyrie ends up on the field for longer, he can play stat-boosting cards like Vitamin Z or Maniacal Laugh.
- Impfinity's Sneaky cards help Impfinity rush even faster, examples being Imposter, Imp-Throwing Imp, and Toxic Waste Imp. Once Valkyrie gains enough strength, he can Bounce plants in Valkyrie's way, or have her in Laser Base Alpha to guarantee a hit. Unfortunately, gravestone decks are out of the question, since gravestones destroyed do not count towards her strength boost.
- Z-Mech's Hearty class generally doesn't go well with rushing, simply because their fundamentals clash with each other. However, he does have access to Flag Zombie, who lets Z-Mech play his zombies earlier. Since the Hearty class focuses on improving the survivability of zombies, Valkyrie is better off being used as a fighter instead of a finisher (although this does not mean that amassing strength is not a viable strategy). Cards like Rock Wall, Healthy Treat, Cone Zone, and Stompadon can boost her already-amazing health, while Escape through Time and Zombot Battlecruiser 5000 can shield her for a turn. If Valkyrie is damaged, she can be healed using Medic. Going Viral, a cheap way to give Valkyrie Frenzy, is also available.
Try to keep Valkyrie in your hand during the mulligan to maximize her ability.
If gained via Interdimensional Zombie, Portal Technician, or Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur, this zombie is a useless wall since her ability cannot activate. Allow your opponent to destroy her to make room for more zombies, use her for Evolution, or play Final Mission to speed up the process and do 4 damage. Alternatively, you can Bounce her with Secret Agent or Firefighter so that she can function normally. However, only Impfinity and Electric Boogaloo can do this normally.
As of the Triassic Triumph update, Valkyrie is now a dancing card. But despite that, she won't go well with Aerobics Instructor due to Valkyrie being a mid to late-game play, where Aerobics Instructor can be destroyed easily before her ability activates. However, she can synergize normally with Flamenco Zombie due to its ability taking effect instantly.
It is best to Bounce Valkyrie if she has high strength since when bounced, she loses all of her strength. Alternatively, the player can use an instant-kill trick such as Squash or Lawnmower, although Professor Brainstorm can give this zombie Untrickable. In this case, you can use Eyespore or Cob Cannon, although they are harder to use. Avoid using all your cards and having nothing to block Valkyrie, because you can lose the game easily. Freezing her is also a good idea. If you are playing against Professor Brainstorm, be careful as he can Teleport her in, or use Lurch for Lunch or Mustache Monument on her to end the game quickly. If you are a Solar hero, Wing-Nut can counter the Valkyrie and bonus attack combo, although Professor Brainstorm can use Exploding Fruitcake to destroy it. If you are playing as a Smarty hero, you can also prevent this with Brainana. You can also use Pecanolith to render the additional strength she got useless, but you should only do this if her strength is over 6, and either way, this isn't the most viable strategy against Valkyrie alone.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Valkyrie.
- In the old title screen, Valkyrie appears without her pink makeup on her cheeks. However, she appears with the makeup in-game.
- Potted Powerhouse, Trickster, Valkyrie, and Reincarnation are the only cards that have an ability that takes place only while in the plant or zombie hero's hand.
- Her description mentions that the only thing she can sing is "Braaaaains." However, she sings another song when she is played.
- She and Tankylosaurus have the most health of all zombies in the Crazy class.