Trickster is a premium legendary zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Brainy class. He costs 10 to play, and has 6/6. He does not have any traits, and his abilities reduce his cost by 1 every time a zombie trick is played, but only when the zombie hero is holding him in their hand, and make it do a bonus attack when he is played.
A "trickster" is someone who cheats on, deceives, or plays tricks and pranks on people.
- Class: Brainy
- Tribe: Party Zombie
- Traits: None
- Abilities: While in your hand: This costs 1 less when you play a Trick. When played: This does a Bonus Attack.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Legendary
Never gets tired of the rubber chicken gag.
- ▼ Strength change: 7 → 6
- ▼ Health change: 7 → 6
Trickster is a really strong zombie, not just because he is capable of fitting in many decks, but also because if you are skilled enough, you can play this zombie much earlier for a quick win. If you want to put him in your deck, you would also want to bring lots of tricks, such as Beam Me Up and Hail-a-Copter to make zombies during the Zombie Tricks phase, and other cheap tricks to lower his cost.
If you happen to get him in your hand on the 1st turn, it is recommended that you keep him as you can spam cheap zombie tricks such as Bungee Plumber, Yeti Lunchbox, or Smoke Bomb to reduce his cost, then play him on the early turn on an empty lane to do 6 free damage to your opponent.
Using him along with Paparazzi Zombie is a good strategy, as both benefit from playing tricks. Every time you play a trick, Paparazzi Zombie becomes more powerful, while Trickster becomes cheaper. However, be aware if your opponent has Black-Eyed Pea on the field, as it gets stronger as well every time you play a trick, or Sportacus, as it will do 2 damage to the zombie hero every time you play a trick.
Playing Teleport, then playing Trickster allows you to play it and Trickster for the same price as only Trickster in the Zombies Play phase, meaning that you could save him for the Zombie Tricks phase to either clear a powerful or pesky plant, or land a clear shot on your opponent. However, this strategy is unusable when Brainana is played, as it prevents you from playing Teleport, unless you have enough Gentleman Zombies to replenish the brains needed to play Trickster.
This zombie is a tough one to handle and counter. Being 6/6 for the price varying between 0-10, he is a tough zombie at any time, with his powerful bonus attack upon being played. Almost everything is destroyed, unless the plant has a lot of health, or is shielded.
However, there are a few ways to pressure or deal with him. Tater Toss can pressure the opponent into playing Trickster due to him being destroyed as soon as he attacks Hothead. Peel Shield and Root Wall can allow plants to block his attacks. Briar Rose is also a good counter to this zombie due to its ability. Filling all ground and heights lanes with flowers can destroy Trickster no matter where it is played. As a last resort, if you want to keep the sacrifice at minimum, you should consider playing instant-kill cards like Squash. You can also Bounce him back into your opponent's hand, as its price will be reset back to 10. However, your opponent can simply play tricks to lower his price and play him again, and even that becomes unnecessary after the 10th turn.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Trickster.
- He is the most expensive zombie fighter, and the second most expensive zombie card in the game, after Gargantuars' Feast.
- He, Valkyrie and Potted Powerhouse are the only cards in the game who have an ability that only activates while in a hero's hand.
- He is the only one of the three that is a legendary card, while the other two are super-rare cards.
- He is the only card that can reduce his own cost without the help of special gimmicks.
- Assuming nothing but 1-brain tricks is played until he is affordable, the earliest turn he can be played is on the 4th turn, which can be achieved by every Brainy hero except Super Brainz, due to the number of cheap tricks that do not require you to play a zombie to use.
- There is a glitch where during the Zombies Play phase, once Trickster does his bonus attack, he may drain the plant hero's Super-Block Meter like Shieldcrusher Viking does.
- On Trickster's card, the player can see a rubber chicken. This rubber chicken is thrown when he attacks.