Trash Can Zombie
|Absorbs||50 normal damage shots|
|Special|| Moves normal; very slow in Versus Mode|
Has a trash can shield to protect itself from peas and spores
|Seen||Versus Mode, Co-op or Survival (console)|
Trash Can Zombie is a zombie exclusive to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo DS versions of Plants vs. Zombies that can only been seen in Survival: Fog, Survival: Roof, hard survival levels, Survival: Endless, Co-op Endless, and as a selectable zombie in Versus Mode.
Trash Can Zombies are zombies holding a trash can for use as armor, negating the freezing effects of any Snow Peas hitting it or the splash effect of torched peas, but since Winter Melons throw their melons over the trash can, they can hit the zombie. Because of the weight of the trash can, these zombies move very slowly, and even after the removal of the trash can, it will retain its slow speed. These zombies are identical in all respects to Screen Door Zombies, except for a difference in shield damage absorbency and speed.
The Trash Can Zombie absorbs 50 normal damage shots and its appearance changes upon absorbing 14, 27, 40 (at this point the trash can is destroyed) and 45 normal damage shots before dying at 50 normal damage shots.
- This is only on console versions.
- Survival Mode: Survival: Fog, Survival: Roof, all Survival (Hard) and Survival (Endless) levels
- Co-op Mode: all Co-op Hard levels, Co-op Endless
- Others: Versus Mode
Magnet-shroom can be used to take away the trash can, turning Trash Can Zombie into a slow normal zombie. Lobbed-shot plants simply throw projectiles over the shield, damaging the zombie directly, making the shield useless. It is a good idea to use Cabbage-pults, Kernel-pults, Melon-pults, Winter Melons, Fume-shrooms, Gloom-shrooms, Spikeweeds, and Spikerocks in hard levels to negate the protection of the trash can. Melon-pults are much more useful. However, since Trash Can Zombies appear a bit later in the rounds when there are large groups of zombies to begin with, the chances of a Cabbage-pult or a Kernel-pult actually killing one is slim. The trash can also negates the splash effect of fire peas. You should not try to hypnotize it though, as the trash can does not protect it against other zombies like other shield zombies, making them very weak allies compared to the Football Zombie or Buckethead Zombie, since they will eat them, thus wasting your sun. However, Gargantuars, Zombonis, or any zombie that never eats plants don't kill it, but you don't need this to hypnotize it. Instant-kills work normally on the Trash Can Zombie.
Many people feel that Trash Can Zombies are worthless for Versus Mode, mainly due to their very slow speed of movement, but they are actually very useful if used in combination with other zombies. Their high health and low cost make them a good choice to clear a row of plants. They also work well with Football Zombies. As Football Zombie charges forward in the lane and eats the plants, it will protect the Trash Can Zombie long enough for it to move down the lane and finish off the last few plants if the Football Zombie is killed. Trash Can Zombie can be also used as a cheap shield to protect the gravestones and Target Zombies in sudden death when you cannot plant any more gravestones, making it kind of similar to a zombie counterpart to Wall-nut.
- It does not appears in Versus Mode, but also in Survival Mode as an added zombie.
- This is the first zombie that has been added in a later release of the game, not counting Dancing Zombie which was only re-styled (though some other changes has been made with its sprite change).
- When hit, the trash can has the same effect noise as a Buckethead Zombie.
- It is one of the zombies that can degrade into a basic zombie.
- In the Nintendo DS version, the trash can has a bigger border.
- In Survival and Co-op Levels, it moves as fast as a normal zombie.
- It is unknown how Fume-shroom's and Gloom-shroom's fumes can penetrate the trash can, as there is no sign of holes in the trash can.
- This may be because the fumes go over the trash can. Also, if the trash can is damaged, there are small holes inside for the first degrade and medium for the second.
- This is one of the few zombies that only appear in certain versions of the game, the others being Giga-Football Zombie, Target Zombie, Baseball Zombie, and Catapult Baseball Zombie.
- The trash does not seem to have the same design as the rest of the game.
- This is probably because it has been made later, the original graphist of the game being absent from the console game development.