|Abilities||When played: This gets +1 for each Plant and Zombie.|
|He grew up on the wrong side of the garden.|
Tough Beets is a premium rare plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Guardian class. He costs 5 to play, and has 6/1. He has the Armored 1 trait, and his ability gives him +1 for each plant and zombie on the field, including him, when he is played.
- Class: Guardian
- Tribe: Root Plant
- Trait: Armored 1
- Ability: When played: This gets +1 for each Plant and Zombie.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
He grew up on the wrong side of the garden.
- Set - Rarity change: Basic - Uncommon → Premium - Rare
Tough Beets has really good base stats (assuming there is a good number of plants or zombies on field) for a moderate cost of 5. Strategies with Super-Phat Beets should apply here as he gains more health for each plant and zombie. His Armored trait makes him immune to zombies that have only 1, forcing the opponent to use stronger zombie fighters in an attempt to slowly whittle down Tough Beets.
Due to his root tribe, he can also be used in conjunction with Starch-Lord to give him a minor boost along with his major health boost when he is played.
Keep in mind that it is heavily not recommended to use this card if there are fewer plants and zombies on the field, as he will be very easy to take out and most likely won't be worth the 5.
Do not play this card on Total Eclipse, as the environment will take place and destroy him before Tough Beets activates his ability, turning him into a waste of 5 sun.
Having the Armored trait will make it very difficult for the player to take down Tough Beets, as attacks and damaging tricks will be reduced by 1. However, using instant-kill tricks that would destroy Tough Beets, such as Rocket Science or Locust Swarm can simply ignore the Armored trait he has. Sneaky heroes can make use of Deadly zombies to destroy Tough Beets regardless of his health. Bouncing this with Backyard Bounce can help. Making this useless using Shrink Ray and Landscaper is a good way to treat this too, as they affect his strength directly.
Also, while it is not required, it is recommended to remove any Starch-Lords from the field before Tough Beets is played, as they can raise his strength to at least 7, which is quite powerful for a 5 plant.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Tough Beets.
- If one looks closely, he seems to be holding a wooden toothpick in his mouth on his card. However, the toothpick is not seen in-game.
- The maximum health this plant can get when played is 15.
- His name is plural even though the plant is only one beet.
- This also applies to Super-Phat Beets.
- He and Super-Phat Beets have similar abilities, gaining boosts that depending on the numbers of plants and zombies on the field when played.
- Both of them also appear to enlarge and then shrink back to their normal sizes when they activate their abilities.
- Other than that, both of them are based on the Beet.