|Tribe||Gargantuar Party Zombie|
|Abilities||When revealed: Move this Zombie.|
|Surprise! It's a brains-eating monster at your party!|
Surprise Gargantuar is a premium rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Sneaky class. He costs 5 to play, and has 5/6. He has the Gravestone trait, and his ability moves him to a selected lane when he is revealed.
- Class: Sneaky
- Tribes: Gargantuar Party Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When revealed: Move this Zombie.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
Surprise! It's a brains-eating monster at your party!
- ▲ Health change: 5 → 6
- ▲ Ability added: When revealed: Move this Zombie.
- ▼ Strength change: 6 → 5
- Tribe order change: Party Gargantuar → Gargantuar Party
- Rarity change: Uncommon → Rare
Surprise Gargantuar is a very powerful zombie, like all Gargantuars. In particular, his ability to switch lanes can be extremely effective at surprising the plant hero and ruining their strategy. When he is revealed, you can choose to move this to a lane with a troublesome plant, or if there are not many threats on the lawn, attack the plant hero directly.
As Brain Freeze or Neptuna, you can use Smashing Gargantuar or Maniacal Laugh (for Brain Freeze) or Coffee Zombie or Possessed (for Neptuna) to give Surprise Gargantuar Frenzy. Move the zombie to a lane with weak plants and watch him plow through the lane with such ease. If you are playing as Super Brainz, combining this with Wizard Gargantuar, and then moving him to an empty lane can deal 5 guaranteed damage without letting your opponent's Super-Block Meter charge up.
Due to his Gravestone trait, you can try to have a Headstone Carver on the field to give Surprise Gargantuar a little stat boost. If you are playing as Neptuna, this will be even better, because she also has access to Gargologist, which she can combine with Headstone Carver, leading to a very powerful Surprise Gargantuar on as early as the third turn if both are kept alive.
As Impfinity or Neptuna, you can use In-Crypted on Surprise Gargantuar to protect him from damage or tricks (apart from Grave Buster), and allow him to move again. It is also useful for refreshing Surprise Gargantuar's health.
The best way to counter this zombie is the same as with all zombies with the Gravestone trait, which is using Grave Buster, as it will destroy this Gargantuar instantly, wasting quite a lot of brains for the zombie hero too.
If the player is playing as a Smarty hero, it is a good idea to Bounce this zombie, as it will force the zombie hero to spend 5 on Surprise Gargantuar if they want to play him again, and it gives the player a better chance to predict this zombie switching lanes when revealed. You can also use Spyris to see if your opponent plays Surprise Gargantuar, and if they do, it may be a good idea to fill the lanes with plants if your opponent tries to target you, or use Team-Up plants to protect any powerful plants that your opponent may target instead.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Surprise Gargantuar.
- He is the only party zombie in the Sneaky class, as well as the only Gargantuar zombie in the Sneaky class.
- His right arm was not animated correctly, making his right arm detached from his right hand. This could be seen multiple times in-game, like when he was about to switch lanes. This was later patched.
- He is the second fighter in the game to have received a major change to his attacking animation, with the first being Seedling.
- Prior to version 1.4.14, his attack animation involved him blowing his party horn and firing confetti at the opposition, which has now been adapted into his ability animation.
- The standard Gargantuar pole smashing animation was not added until version 1.2.11, and was originally used in his ability animation before being used for his current attack animation.
- There is a glitch that occurs when Surprise Gargantuar is made by Gargantuars' Feast, the message asking the player to choose a lane for Surprise Gargantuar to move to will appear even if there are less than 2 open lanes. When this happens with no open lanes, the game will softlock.