- For the projectile fired by Starfruit, see star.
- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, see Star (PvZ: GW2).
Stars are items collected from levels or Brain Busters in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars and Plants vs. Zombies Online. In Plants vs. Zombies Online and previous versions of the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, they can be collected by playing star challenges with specific objectives to differentiate the level. Since the 1.8.0 update of the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, a star is now obtained by beating the level in Normal Mode, and the other two stars are rewarded for beating it in Hard Mode (with the exception of Ancient Egypt). Beating a boss level will reward the player all three stars (or one star in Ancient Egypt).
Stars were formerly in the international version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 as well, but they were removed in the 1.7 update. Because of how Plants vs. Zombies 2 used to work, stars were necessary for traveling to other worlds and obtain certain achievements. Star gates were unlocked after beating the final level of a world, then the player needed 15 stars to continue into Pirate Seas and another 15 (or 30 in earlier versions) stars to Wild West. They were replaced by World Keys and completed levels in the 1.7 update.
In the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, stars are only used for unlocking certain plants in Plant Exchange, as World Keys are also in this version. However, as of the 1.8.0 update, they are now used as the main method for unlocking worlds and plants.
List of star challenge types
- Defeat X zombies in Y seconds
- Don't let the zombies trample the flowers
- Don't lose more than X plant(s)
- Don't plant on Dave's mold colonies
- Don't spend any sun for X seconds
- Never have more than X plants
- Produce at least X sun
- Spend no more than X sun
- Don't lose any lawn mowers
- Survive without using Plant Food.
- Survive a massive attack in the (current time period)*
- Plan your defense and defeat the zombies*
- Survive the attack with the given plants*
- Survive and protect the endangered plants*
- Don't use Plant Food (Chinese version only)
- Plant up to X plant(s) (Chinese version only)
*Special objectives used only in bonus levels
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (international version)
Plants vs. Zombies Online
- Since these no longer exist in version 1.7 or newer versions of Plants vs. Zombies 2, when the player updates to that version and goes to their saved game, they will receive plant costumes or 3500 coins depending on how much stars and costumes in exchange for all their stars.
- As the 1.8.0 update of the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 changes the way of obtaining these completely, when the player updates to that version when they have finished each world with all three stars, the world they have three-starred will be considered as completed for one star each level, and others will be locked.