Squirrel Herder is a premium rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. She costs 2 to play, and has 2/2. She has the Gravestone trait, and her ability instantly destroys a nut or berry plant or environment on the field when she is revealed.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribes: Pet Professional Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When revealed: Destroy one of their Nuts or Berries.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
The only thing more difficult than herding cats.
- Set - Rarity change: Basic - Uncommon → Premium - Rare
- ▲ Tribe added: Professional
- ▲ Ability change: Can now affect environments.
While Squirrel Herder has an average stat ratio of 1/1 per 1, her ability can instantly neutralize nuts like Water Chestnut and Mirror-Nut, or potentially dangerous berries like Sergeant Strongberry or Hibernating Beary, making her very useful against any Kabloom or Guardian hero, especially Spudow, who leads both. She is better against the Guardian class which specialize in nuts than the Kabloom class which specialize in berries, since there are more nuts than berries in the game.
However, her ability decreases in effectiveness against a Solar or Smarty hero since the only nut or berry cards in the Solar and Smarty classes combined are Mixed Nuts, Jolly Holly, Wing-Nut, Elderberry, Sportacus, Go-Nuts, Tricorn, and Planet of the Grapes, and her ability turns basically useless against the Mega-Grow class, since it only has Grape Power, which is a trick and is thus unaffected by her ability. But still, since they are pretty threatening if left alone, it may not be such a bad idea to pack a few in your deck, even if your opponent is Green Shadow, Chompzilla, or Rose.
Like many Gravestone zombies, Grave Buster is a threat to this zombie. And since Grave Buster is a Guardian card, you must be extra careful against Guardian heroes. Spyris may also be played by Citron, Beta-Carrotina or Nightcap in particular, meaning that they can wait another turn for them to play their respective cards, rendering her ability useless.
As Brain Freeze, you can use Mixed-Up Gravedigger to make her hide in a gravestone again and destroy another nut or berry, especially if Rolling Stone, Weed Spray, or instant kill cards are not available. He can also sightly boost her with Headstone Carver or reuse her ability with Firefighter. All Beastly heroes can also do so with Secret Agent.
As of update 1.22.10, she is now a professional zombie, meaning The Smash can use her alongside Jurassic Fossilhead and Zombie Middle Manager. Her ability also accounts for environments, meaning she can be used to remove Planet of the Grapes before the plant hero can use it to draw cards.
Most of the cards can counter her easily, due to her low stats. You can also play Grave Buster on her, as she has the Gravestone trait. You have to be especially careful when you are playing as Spudow or Nightcap, as most of your plants are either nuts or berries. Nightcap, Beta-Carrotina and Citron can also use Rescue Radish to bounce a powerful nut or berry like Pecanolith or Sergeant Strongberry to prevent it from being destroyed.
- Her ability is a reference to how a squirrel's diet consists mainly of nuts and berries.
- Her animation is very similar to Skunk Punk's.
- Coincidentally, both are in the pet tribe and attack using animals with four legs.
- On Brain Freeze's Premium Pack, she has red-orange hair instead of the blond hair she normally has.
- If you look closely, one lens on her binoculars is cracked.
- She is one of the three Beastly zombies with the Gravestone trait, the other two being Pied Piper and Loudmouth.
- She is the only female zombie and the only non-dancing zombie out of the three.
- Her description is likely a reference to the idiom "to herd cats," describing a futile or impossible thing to do.
- It may also possibly be a reference to Cat Lady.
- She is the only card in the game whose ability only activates on certain tribes in the opposing side.
- She is the only fighter in the game that can destroy environments without replacing another environment.