- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, see Spring Bean (PvZH).
- For other usages of beans, see bean.
|Special||Pushes zombies back, or into the water|
|Weakness||Gets sleepy after springing|
|Strengths|| (cannot move or destroy it when it's ready to bounce)|
(immune to his surfboard)
|Weakness|| (flies over it)|
(can shovel it up without stepping on it)
(forces it to come out of the ground when he uses the boombox)
(can easily crush it)
|Unlocked||Beating Pirate Seas - Day 9|
|Unlocked (China)||Beating Pirate Seas - Day 9; collecting 10 Spring Bean Puzzle Pieces|
|He's the strong, silent type and little is known about Spring Bean. What is known though: his fan club is a million followers strong. And the ladies love him.|
Spring Bean is the fourth plant obtained in Pirate Seas in Plants vs. Zombies 2. He bounces the first zombie that steps on him back one tile or, if close enough, into nearby water, instantly killing the zombie in question. After bouncing, he will fall asleep for 10 seconds during which he is vulnerable to attack.
Spring Bean is based on the unripe fruit of the Phaseolus vulgaris, or the common bean. His name is a portmanteau of "string bean," a type of bean and "spring," referencing his spring-like appendage and his ability.
SUN COST: 50
RECOVERY TIME: Normal
Spring Beans bounce back zombies that get too close. Will bounce them into water if nearby.
Special: pushes zombies back, or into the water
Weakness: gets sleepy after springing
He's the strong, silent type and little is known about Spring Bean. What is known though: his fan club is a million followers strong. And the ladies love him.
Plant Food effect
When fed Plant Food, Spring Bean will jump into the air then back onto the ground to unleash a great impact, bouncing every zombie on screen back one tile or in nearby water in Pirate Seas. He will also wake up if he was asleep.
His Plant Food ability can now stun zombies.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Recovery Time|
|1||0||0||50||20 seconds||15 seconds||3 bites||10 seconds||Normal||Single|
|2||10||1,000||50||19 seconds||14 seconds||3.25 bites||10 seconds||+10%|
|3||50||2,000||50||19 seconds||14 seconds||3.5 bites||9 seconds||+25%|
|4||100||4,000||50||18 seconds||13 seconds||3.75 bites||9 seconds||+35%|
|5||125||6,000||50||18 seconds||13 seconds||4 bites||9 seconds||+50%|
|6||175||8,000||50||17 seconds||12 seconds||4.5 bites||9 seconds||+65%|
|7||250||10,000||50||17 seconds||12 seconds||5 bites||8 seconds||+75%|
|8||350||15,000||50||16 seconds||11 seconds||5.5 bites||8 seconds||+90%|
|9||450||20,000||25||16 seconds||11 seconds||6 bites||8 seconds||+100%|
|10||800||60,000||25||15 seconds||10 seconds||6.5 bites||7 seconds||+115%|
|11||1,000||75,000||25||14 seconds||9 seconds||7 bites||7 seconds||+125%|
|12||1,250||100,000||25||13 seconds||8 seconds||7.5 bites||7 seconds||+140%|
|13||1,500||150,000||25||12 seconds||7 seconds||8 bites||6 seconds||+150%|
|14||1,750||200,000||25||11 seconds||6 seconds||8.5 bites||6 seconds||+165%|
|15||2,000||250,000||25||10 seconds||5 seconds||9 bites||5 seconds||+180%|
Spring Bean is not an impressive plant by himself. In his homeworld, Spring Bean will find most of his utility at his ability to bounce enemies onto water, instantly killing them in the process. Because of this, Spring Bean can be used as an early defender against high health zombies, such as Buckethead Pirate and Gargantuar Pirate; or as a measure against Swashbuckler Zombies in lanes without planks. However, his inability to bounce multiple enemies back, as well as his sleeping time makes Spring Bean a poor choice in later levels - Imp Cannon in particular will create great challenges to Spring Bean, due to the amount of Imp Pirate Zombies it can create, making Primal Peashooters, Kiwibeasts, and Chard Guards more optimal choices to stop these zombies.
Spring Bean's Plant Food however can be used to quickly turn the tide of battle. In certain levels in Pirate Seas, it can be used to instantly kill all zombies except Imp Cannons, Seagull Zombies and Pelican Zombies. Another notable strategy is to plant Blover or Hurrikale quickly after boosting Spring Bean. With the right timing (Blover or Hurrikale should ideally be planted right when Spring Bean is at his highest), all zombies will be blown away by Blover (or a column with Hurrikale), therefore this combo can be used to eliminate virtually any high-priority target from the field, especially Gargantuars, or other dangerous zombies.
It is actually possible to get rid of an Gargantuar with only a Spring Bean and a Blover, without the help of Plant Food. This is because the small bounce actually counts as the zombie being in the air, giving you the ability to use a Blover and blow him away. However, the Blover must be planted before the Spring Bean bounces, but not after the zombie has landed again.
Spring Bean can be used to combat land Surfer Zombies, as they somehow destroy the surfboard, as well as staying alive in doing so. Spring Bean alone can also counter the All-Star Zombie. When the All-Star Zombie prepares to tackle the Spring Bean, the latter will push the zombie before the former does a successful tackle. This strategy shouldn't be used in higher levels of Highway to the Danger Room, due to sheer mass of zombies capable of activating the Spring Bean.
Avoid using Spring Bean against the Ankylosaurus, as the flung zombies will push him back first. It is not recommended to use it against Excavator Zombie, as they can shovel him up without stepping on him. The player should also be wary of Troglobites and Arcade Zombies as they can still crush the plant no matter if he's in defensive position or not. His main weaknesses are Gargantuar Prime, Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie, and Hair Metal Gargantuar, as they can easily disable them from a safe distance, especially Gargantuar Prime and Hair Metal Gargantuar as even their laser or shockwaves can instantly destroy him (even if he's ready to bounce).
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Spring Bean.
- He cannot be attacked by Seagull Zombie/Pelican Zombie, pulled by Fisherman Zombie or hit by Turquoise Skull Zombie's laser beam when he is ready to bounce.
- In the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2, he will make the zombies roll over instead of bouncing them back. However, he will only roll the zombies and kill them instantly if he is upgraded to level 2 or higher.
- When he bounces back a zombie on the rightmost column and the adjacent row is a water lane, the zombie will land on the edge of the water lane while still being alive, but then walks into the water and drowns.
- There is a glitch that if he bounces back the last zombie in the level on the rightmost column and bounce out of the screen (only possible with higher level plant), the level will be completed immediately.
- As of the 2.1 update, he can no longer be crushed by Gargantuars when attempting to bounce them.
- If a Surfer Zombie tries to slam him with his surfboard, the surfboard will break but the Spring Bean will somehow survive.
- He, Chard Guard and Kiwibeast can cancel all of Jester Zombie's projectiles when knocking Jester Zombie back.
- In game, Spring Bean is frowning, but when he gets ready to bounce back a zombie, he is smiling.
- A very serious glitch can occur, where if a boosted Spring Bean is planted right next to a Gargantuar and the Gargantuar attemps to smash him and kill him, the Gargantuar will succeed, despite the Spring Bean being immune to attacks.
- In the Chinese version, he is slightly translucent. This can be seen if he is on and endangered tile.
- He can also stun the Zombot Sphinx-inator when he's ready to bounce back and while he bounces the zombie back the Zombot summoned in Modern Day - Day 32.
- Spring Bean cannot throw Gargantuars into the water to instantly kill them in the Chinese Version.