|Tribe||Mushroom Nut Plant|
|Abilities||When a Zombie Trick is played, do 2 damage to the Zombie Hero.|
|"I am Sportacus!"|
Sportacus is an event plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Smarty class. It costs 3 to play, and has 3/3. It does not have any traits, and its ability does 2 damage to the zombie hero every time a zombie trick is played. This ability stacks with every Sportacus on the field, and persists until all Sportacuses are removed from the field.
It was made available in the Weekly Event event and was available from 21 February 2017 to 28 February 2017.
Its name is a portmanteau of "spore," a reproductive cell or group of cells produced by some plants, and "Spartacus," a Thracian gladiator who was one of the escaped slave leaders in the Third Servile War. It also shares its name with a main character from the TV show LazyTown, which was made a meme when this plant was in development.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribes: Mushroom Nut Plant
- Trait: None
- Ability: When a Zombie Trick is played, do 2 damage to the Zombie Hero.
- Set: Event
"I am Sportacus!"
- Added to the game.
- Became craftable.
- Sound change: Previously the same as Fume-Shroom and Punish-Shroom.
- ▼ Ability change: No longer activates if Sportacus is destroyed by a trick.
- Sound change: Now uses the same sounds as Fume-Shroom and Punish-Shroom again.
- ▲ Ability change: Now activates if Sportacus is destroyed by a trick.
- Sound change: Now uses its sound effects from update 1.12.6.
Sportacus has the same stats, cost, and class as Vanilla, but unlike Vanilla, its ability makes it powerful. It functions like Punish-Shroom, but its ability comes into effect every time your opponent plays a trick. Its ability deals 2 damage to your opponent for every trick they play, which is great if your opponent focuses on playing tricks. This is even useful if the opponent gets a Super-Block and plays their superpower for free, due to it being a trick. It is also immune to most instant-kill tricks like Rolling Stone, Rocket Science, and Weed Spray as long as its strength is not lowered or raised, though it is not immune to Locust Swarm. If you combine Sportacus with Black-Eyed Pea, you can rack up a lot of damage to your opponent very quickly due to the abilities of both of those plants, especially against Brainy heroes. However, this combo can only normally be done with Green Shadow.
If you are using this as Citron, Sportacus can synergize with Mirror-Nut and Smackadamia since it is in the nut tribe, and if you use Sportacus as Nightcap, you can use Buff-Shroom to increase its stats and Punish-Shroom to apply pressure with it since it is also in the mushroom tribe. Green Shadow can also boost Sportacus, though it can put it at risk of Rocket Science or Cut Down to Size. Rose may use healing tricks to restore health to Sportacus and allow it to stay longer.
Like Black-Eyed Pea, using tricks while Sportacus is in play is not a very good idea. Its base strength makes it invulnerable to Rolling Stone, Rocket Science, Cut Down to Size, and Weed Spray unless its strength has been altered. Locust Swarm can be used to destroy it, but it is expensive. If you are The Smash, you can use Slammin' Smackdown, but there are better options to use this on, such as Nibble then Rolling Stone, though this is not recommended either. Cakesplosion and Zombot's Wrath can also destroy it instantly. While Sportacus is on the field, it is recommended not to play tricks unless it is necessary, as the more tricks you play, the more damage you take. This can even be more dangerous the more Sportacus' are on board. Instead, aim on using powerful zombies like Drum Major or Tennis Champ to destroy it. Squirrel Herder is very useful, as Sportacus is classified as a nut plant, but watch out for Citron, who may counter her with Grave Buster. Electric Boogaloo is the most efficient at taking Sportacus out due to his wide range of zombies and tricks to use. Those include Stayin' Alive, Electrobolt, Cakesplosion, Locust Swarm, Squirrel Herder, Abracadaver (assuming it hits the plant hero and targets Sportacus) and other usages. However, it is better to use zombies rather than tricks so that Sportacus' ability won't trigger.
In addition, if Sportacus is on board and you get a superpower, you must be careful of playing it for free as it still counts as playing a trick (unless the superpower is either Ice Moon, Teleportation Station, or Iron Boarder), so be wary if you are low in health.
- The Wall-Nut shield it is holding is alive, as well as opening its eyes during its idle animation.
- When Sportacus attacks, the Wall-Nut shield will look angry as well as opening its eyes.
- Strangely, the Wall-Nut held by Sportacus is smaller than its actual plant counterpart.
- It is the only nut plant in the Smarty class.
- Its description "I am Sportacus!" references the famous quote "I am Spartacus" from the film Spartacus.
- It is the third mushroom card to be in the Smarty class, with the others being Smoosh-Shroom and Mush-Boom.
- It is the first event card in the Smarty class that does not have the Amphibious trait, with the second being Sap-Fling.
- He is currently the only plant to be in both mushroom and nut tribes.