- For other uses, see Scaredy-shroom (disambiguation).
|Sun cost||25 sun|
|Special||Stops shooting when enemy is close|
|Unlocked||After beating Level 2-6|
|Planted on||Ground, Lily Pad or Flower Pot|
|Sleeps during the day|
|"Who's there?" whispers Scaredy-shroom, voice barely audible. "Go away. I don't want to see anybody. Unless it's the man from the circus."|
Scaredy-shroom is a mushroom appearing in Plants vs. Zombies. Normally, Scaredy-shroom performs identically to Peashooter in terms of damage and range, while requiring only a fraction of Peashooter's sun cost. However, Scaredy-shroom will hide when a zombie is in a 3x3 area around it, preventing it from shooting until the threat is gone.
Scaredy-shroom's name is a combination of "scaredy cat," a term usually used to refer to an easily frightened person, because it gets hides from when zombies are near, and the suffix "-shroom," meaning that it is a mushroom.
Suburban Almanac entry
Scaredy-shrooms are long-ranged shooters that hide when enemies get near them.
Special: stops shooting when enemy is close
Sleeps during the day
"Who's there?" whispers Scaredy-shroom, voice barely audible. "Go away. I don't want to see anybody. Unless it's the man from the circus."
In levels without sunlight, Scaredy-shroom will find most of its use as an early to mid-game offensive plant. Its low cost of 25 sun means that the player can rapidly amass firepower early on, while its weakness can easily be mitigated by placing it at the back of the player's defense. This is of great importance to the player's success, as sun is much harder to gather in nighttime levels, so low cost offensive plant will be more important than usual.
On the other hand, the situation is completely different in daylight levels: Because of its reliance on Coffee Bean, Scaredy-shroom will actually function worse than a Peashooter, as it can neither shoot at close range nor benefit from Torchwood, plus the cost of both (Coffee Bean is 75 sun and Scaredy-shroom is 25 sun) is the exact amount for a normal Peashooter but takes twice as much slot room (2 slots, unless of course, you are using the Coffee Bean on another mushroom as well.). Because of this, the player should not use Scaredy-shroom in daytime levels. The main exception however, is when the player wishes to get the Good Morning achievement, in which case Scaredy-shroom can be used as the replacement for Peashooter. However, Puff-shroom is usually a better plant due to costing less.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Scaredy-shroom.
- Bungee Zombies can scare it from two spaces away horizontally, because they stretch their arms out to the sides.
- It can be considered as the opposite of Puff-shroom, as it can only attack zombies at a long range, while Puff-shroom can only attack zombies at a short range.
- It is the one of five mushroom encountered in the original Plants vs. Zombies that does not make any appearances in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- It shares the same trait as the Shamrock, Shamrockstar, and Cactus in Plants vs. Zombies 2, as they all hide themselves when zombies gets close.
- Digger Zombies can scare this plant when underground.
- In I, Zombie, its cardboard version moves its cap like a real plant when it gets scared, despite not performing its normal idle animation.