This page lists the references to the Plants vs. Zombies series in other media, arranged alphabetically.
Diary of a Minecraft Zombie
- In the second book "Bullies and Buddies", when Steve lends Zack his favorite video game, Zack asks what the game is about, and Steve answers "It's about plants and Zombies." Later in the book, Zack writes about the "horrible things" that happened in the game. The Zombies:
- Were eaten by plants (referencing Chomper)
- Were blown to pieces (referencing the explosive plants)
- Were ran over by lawnmowers (referencing the Lawn Mower's usage)
- Ate brains (referencing what happens when the player loses)
- Even later in the book, when Zack returns the game to Steve, Steve asks if he got to the part "where the Zombies are on the roof", referencing the Roof area.
- Ladder Zombie is mentioned (albeit called a "zombie with a ladder") in Charlie Higson's novel The Fallen, when one of the characters writing in her diary says how she used to be scared of this zombie when she played Plants vs. Zombies on her father's phone before the disaster happened.
- In the 20th issue of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, one of the segments is called "Power Plants vs. Zombies". The entire segment is an obvious homage to Plants vs. Zombies, from the title to the title's design, to Homer Simpson wearing a saucepan on his head in a similar manner to Crazy Dave on the cover.
You're Skitting Me
- The intro of the skit called "If Life Was Like a Computer Game (Numbers 18 and 84)" feature pixelized zombies slowly walking towards pixelized plants. One of the plants even spits a fireball to destroy one of the zombies, similar to Flaming Pea.
Age of Zombies
- In older versions of the game, one of the messages that appears on the bottom of the results screen after a Story Mode chapter or Survival Mode game reads: "Despite another game's misinformation, plants cannot protect you from zombies."
Bloons Tower Defense 4
- The mobile version has a track titled "Monkeys vs. Bloons", which resembles the Pool.
- Ironically, unlike Pool, which consists of mostly medium levels, this track is extremely hard.
Cookie Collector 2
- One of the structures in the game is a parrot, which has a very reminiscent look to the Zombie Parrot from Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- When starting a game as Zombie Cookie, he might say that he's worried about encountering plants along the way.
Dead Rising 2
- One of the events in the Terror is Reality multiplayer mode was called "Zomboni", which involved driving a vehicle similar to the ice resurfacer Zomboni drives. In a 2011 update, the event's name was changed to "Zombie Tank".
- The lawn mower looks similar to the one in the original Plants vs. Zombies, and likewise can be pushed around to mow over zombies.
- After buying the "Harmless Plants" DLC and feeding it to the zombie sheep, the Shepherd will say "Who would have thought that plants could defeat zombies!" before being killed.
- On the mission "Broadcast", after reaching the top of the tower, the player must slide down the zipline. When the player lands, they should take the next zipline. Then, they must proceed to the right to find a small flower. Once they use it, they will be transported to a secret area clearly based on the lawn from Plants vs. Zombies.
- In Hearthstone's expansion Journey to Un'Goro, Razorpetal Lasher's flavor text says, "The reason why there are no zombies in Un'goro."
League of Legends
- There is a hidden passive where if Zyra and Sion/Karthus kill one another, they earn two extra gold. Sion and Karthus both have zombie-like passives, such as Sion resurrecting himself or Karthus using his abilities before actually dying, and Zyra being a plant. This is a nod to how plants and zombies are enemies to each other.
Left 4 Dead 2
- In the level "The Passing", there is an easter egg that can be found in the Underground level. It contains graffiti that says "Looking for an M60? Come see me. - Crazy Dave".
PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator
- One of the many default names for a video the player can get is named "Plants vs. Vampires", a nod to Plants vs. Zombies.
- One of the news articles on the World News reads: "'Crazy Dave' convicted of garden center robbery."
- In an official Halloween event made by ROBLOX titled as "Bloktoberfest", a Snapdragon could be found on the dropper ride.
- This is because the creator involved in the event was a fan of the Plants vs. Zombies series himself.
- As of supposedly 11/3/2016, the Easter egg has been either unknowingly moved or removed after a map update. This may be because of copyright.
- Mounting a Lawn Mower and riding over a Zombie instantly kills it, a reference to how Lawn Mowers instantly kill zombies.
Team Fortress 2
- The two cosmetic items "Brain Bucket" and "Dead Cone" are references to the Buckethead Zombie and Conehead Zombie respectively. The items were provided to players in the Genuine Quality when they pre-ordered Plants vs. Zombies on Steam before a certain date.
The Sims 4
- A book called "Gardening Vol 1: Water, Light and Dirt" is written by Wacky Daniel, a reference to Crazy Dave. Also, the description of the book says "Learn to plant stuff! Why? BECAUSE IM WAAAAAAACKYY!" which is another reference to Crazy Dave.
World of Warcraft
- In the Hillsbrad Foothills zone, there is a small house similar to the one in the original game. In this area, the player will meet a goblin named Brazie the Botanist. He will provide a quest line that has the player play a mini-game with very similar gameplay to Plants vs. Zombies. Completing the questline will provide them with a battle pet named "Singing Sunflower". The pet is identical to the Sunflower from Plants vs. Zombies, and one of its lines is Sunflower's famous "There's a zombie on your lawn" line.
- Several tropes have Plants vs. Zombies as the image source for the wiki:
- Bucket Helmet uses Crazy Dave's pan helmet.
- Forged Message uses the letter from Level 4-9 in the original Plants vs. Zombies.
- Insane Proprietor uses Crazy Dave once again, this time at Crazy Dave's Twiddydinkies
- Summon Backup Dancers uses the Dancing Zombie summoning Backup Dancers for the page image.
- Notably, Summon Backup Dancers is also named after the Backup Dancer.
- While they are not featured in the list itself, footage of Gloom-shrooms defeating zombies with ease is featured during the introduction of his "Top Ten Most Overpowered Things in Video Games" video, at about 0:54 in.
Glove And Boots
- In the "Zombie University" video, during the montage of the various types of zombies, the Zombie, Conehead Zombie, and Buckethead Zombie serve as the example for "video game zombies" at about 4:22 in.
- Episode 15 is named after the series.
- Footage of Heavy Weapon can be seen at the start of their "Top Ten Most Insulting MicroTransactions in Games" video.
- In the same video, Plants vs. Zombies 2 rated at number 5 with the "Pay to Win Lawnmowers". It was rated this way due to the fact that lost Lawn Mowers originally had to be repurchased with in-game currency. The footage used during this segment was that of Last Stand II in Ancient Egypt before the 1.7 update and Heavy Weapon gameplay.