- For the present day variant, see Sunflower.
- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, see Primal Sunflower.
Primal Sunflower is the fourth plant obtained in Jurassic Marsh. She is the primal version of Sunflower. She produces 75 sun instead of 50. A slight downside to that is she also costs 25 more sun than her modern counterpart.
Like her modern counterpart, Primal Sunflower's design is based on the Helianthus annuus, known as the common sunflower.
SUN COST: 75
SUN PRODUCTION: Large
Primal Sunflowers pop out large suns instead of regular ones.
Sun Production: large suns
Primal Sunflower is new to all this sun-giving business, so be patient with her. She's an early adopter of the all-you-can-stuff-yourself buffet style of sun production.
Plant Food effect
Primal Sunflower now has a chance to generate one big gold coin as well.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Sun Production|
|1||0||0||75||5 seconds||3 bites||75 sun|
|2||10||1,000||4.5 seconds||3.5 bites|
|3||75||5,000||4.5 seconds||4 bites|
|4||200||10,000||4 seconds||4.5 bites|
|5||400||20,000||4 seconds||5.5 bites|
|6||750||30,000||4 seconds||6 bites||100 sun|
|7||1,000||40,000||3.5 seconds||6.5 bites|
|8||1,000||50,000||3.5 seconds||7 bites|
|9||1,500||60,000||3 seconds||8 bites|
|10||2,000||75,000||3 seconds||9 bites||150 sun|
Primal Sunflower serves the middle ground between Sunflower and Twin Sunflower, functioning identically to a fully grown Sun-shroom both in sun production and Plant Food ability. Therefore, the choice between Primal Sunflower and Sun-shroom is entirely up to the player: the former has full production capability from the start but costs more to build, while the latter is more disposable and can be planted in larger amounts early on, but takes a long period of time to grow.
For Endless Zones, the player may bring Primal Sunflower along so that the sun production would be faster and would be more conserving to set their defenses up quicker.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Primal Sunflower.
- She is the second plant that is capable of producing a large sun, the first one is the third-stage Sun-shroom, the third one is Moonflower, and the fourth is Gold Bloom.
- Before the 4.4.1 update, she could be used in almost all Last Stand and Sun Bombs levels, with the exception of the levels in Jurassic Marsh.
- She has significantly less petals than its modern-day counterpart. The modern Sunflower has 17 petals, while her primal counterpart only has 9.
- In the 4.3 update, there was an error in the Almanac showing this plant's recharge as Mediocre; this was fixed in the 4.4 update.
- In her Spanish Almanac entry, Primal Sunflower is referred to as a male.
- She is one of six plants to be fully recharged at the start of a level, the others being Sunflower, Sun-shroom, Moonflower, Gold Bloom and Electric Currant.
- Coincidentally, they are all sun-producing plants, except for Electric Currant.
- Her Plant Food effect is similar to the Sun-shroom's, except that the former releases the suns one at a time, while the latter releases all three at once.
- Her Lizard Hat costume is closely resembles to Early version of Lumpy's head from the hit animated Internet show Happy Tree Friends.
- She is the second plant in Jurassic Marsh to return in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, alongside Primal Potato Mine.