- For the present day variant, see Potato Mine.
|Sun cost||50 (25 in Chinese Veriosn)|
|Unlocked||Beating Jurassic Marsh - Day 23|
|Primal Potato Mine doesn't consider himself to be primal. As far as he's concerned he's state-of-the-art. And who knows? Maybe he is.|
Primal Potato Mine is the fifth and final plant obtained in Jurassic Marsh in Plants vs. Zombies 2. It is the primal version of Potato Mine. It explodes in a 3x3 area, takes 5 seconds to arm itself and deals 120 normal damage shots worth of damage to zombies caught in the explosion, but costs 50 sun instead of 25.
Like its modern counterpart, Primal Potato Mine is based on the real life potato, the starchy, tuberous root portion of the plant Solanum tuberosum. Its name is a combination of "potato" and "land mine", an explosive device concealed under or on the ground designed to destroy or disable enemy targets, ranging from combatants to vehicles and tanks.
Unlike Potato Mine's word on the speech bubble, which is "SPUDOW!" when it explodes, Primal Potato Mine's is "SPUD OOP!!", a portmanteau of "spud" and "oop!". But in Chinese Version, it still is "SPUDOW!"
Sun cost: 50, 25 (Chinese version)
Primal Potato Mines cost more than regular Potato Mines, but they arm more quickly and do damage over a larger area.
Usage: single use, delayed activation
Range: affects area around it
Primal Potato Mine doesn't consider himself to be primal. As far as he's concerned he's state-of-the-art. And who knows? Maybe he is.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Primal Potato Mine will instantly arm itself (even if it is not fully armed) and will create two new and fully armed Primal Potato Mines on two random tiles, similar to its modern counterpart's plant food ability.
Primal Potato Mine will now create three fully armed Primal Potato Mines on three random tiles instead of two when given Plant Food.
Primal Potato Mine is a significantly improved version of its modern counterpart, as its positive attributes can easily outweigh the slightly increased sun cost. Compared to Potato Mine's blast radius, Primal Potato Mine is nine times as large and can cover up to three lanes at once, allowing Primal Potato Mine to control the crowd much more easily as well as destroy obstacles such as tombstones and frozen blocks. In addition, Primal Potato Mine suffers very little from its counterpart's arming time problem, and can be planted one space ahead of the zombies with the help of slowing plants. These factors combined makes Primal Potato Mine a highly useful plant both for offense and defense. Stunion and this plant make a great combo as the Stunion stops the zombies whilst the Primal Potato Mine arms.
In Wild West, Primal Potato Mines can be used to deal with Chicken Wrangler Zombies as their explosion can take out all of the Zombie Chickens when timed perfectly. They can also deal with Pianist Zombies and the crowd of Cowboy Zombies who are switching lanes.
In Far Future, Primal Potato Mines can destroy any mechanized zombies instantly within their damage area. Using this in Terror from Tomorrow levels is recommended for stopping huge waves of mechs. The only zombie to watch out for is Gargantuar Prime as they require 2 hits from the mine to be defeated.
In Neon Mixtape Tour the player can pair it with Thyme Warp to defeat a large horde of zombies if used properly. Plant two Primal Potato Mines on the second and fourth column, then pile up the zombies by using a Thyme Warp. Using this strategy can hugely decrease the amount of zombies present on the lawn, it can even defeat Hair Metal Gargantuars. Using this strategy has no problem in terms of sun cost, as both plants have a cheap cost. The thing to worry about is the recharge time of both plants, as both plants do not have fast recharge. Also, take note not to place the Primal Potato Mines too near or too far from the zombies, as putting them too near may end to them being eaten or prematurely activated and putting them too far may decrease the amount of defeated zombies as some zombies are significantly faster than others.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Primal Potato Mine.
- Defeating seven zombies with a single Primal Potato Mine will give the player the Bash Potato achievement.
- It's flashing spines on top resembles a stegosaurus'. The light they flash runs from the head spine to the fourth back spine, then the cycle repeats.
- Its abilities may have been based on the past (but temporary) buff of Potato Mine where it was able to blow up tombstones and surfboards in a 3x3 area around it.
- In the Chinese version, its arming time is slightly slower and cannot be instant via leveling-up unlike its modern variant (40% for Level 2 and 80% for Level 3).
- It (along with Potato Mine) will not be crushed by frozen blocks and arcade machines, but instead act as if they do not exist. This was coded to prevent said objects from crushing said plants.
- This can also happen when it is destroyed by the Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur's missiles and lasers.
- Regardless of what stage it was in when defeated, Intensive Carrot will always revive it to its on-planting stage. The same applies for Potato Mine, Pea Pod, Sun-shroom, Strawburst, Escape Root, and Kiwibeast.