Portal Technician is a premium super-rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Brainy class. He costs 5 to play, and has 4/4. He does not have any traits, and his ability makes a random zombie from the entire game, including another Portal Technician, in his place when he is destroyed.
In the boss battle for the mission Playing with Fire, the zombie hero starts out with two Portal Technicians on the 2nd and 4th lanes.
- Class: Brainy
- Tribes: Mustache Science Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: When destroyed: Make a random Zombie here.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
Soon everyone will own their own portal. But for now, he enjoys being an early adopter.
- ▲ Brain cost change: 7 → 6
- ▼ Strength change: 5 → 4
- ▼ Health change: 5 → 4
- ▲ Brain cost change: 6 → 5
This zombie is expensive and very luck-based, but a huge reason to use this zombie is the fact you get two zombies for only 5 brains and one card, and his ability cannot be negated by most plant tricks, with the exception of Bouncing and the use of superpower tricks like Transmogrify or Goatify. The player can also use this as a good way to block plants, as if the plant hero destroys him with tricks, another zombie will take his place. A good usage of Portal Technician is placing him in a lane to purposely have him die to activate his ability. This can be used in one of two ways: in an act of desperation, or to boost Valkyrie. Use this zombie at your own risk, since while he can make dangerous ones like Wizard Gargantuar or even legendaries like Zombot 1000, he can also make weak ones like Baseball Zombie, Skunk Punk, or Backup Dancer. Additionally, he can make zombies that don't synergize with your deck, such at Cat Lady in a non-pet deck or Flamenco Zombie in a non-dancing deck. If it is destroyed in the Fight! phase, be aware that he can also make zombies like Brain Vendor or Ra Zombie, rendering their abilities useless.
Another good idea is by boosting his strength with Zombot Drone Engineer and use him in conjunction with other science zombies to make him pose as an even bigger threat. This can also work with Gadget Scientist as well, dealing 4 damage in front of him.
If you have Unlife of the Party, Portal Technician will boost Unlife of the Party not just by himself but also by the zombie he makes when he is destroyed. However, only Professor Brainstorm can do this normally.
This zombie can be a tricky one to deal with since he can turn into something as weak as Skunk Punk to something as threatening as Wannabe Hero or Zombot 1000. In fact, this can also be considered a more powerful zombie-version of the Seedling, as he can turn the tables when you least expect him to. It is recommended to stall for a few turns before destroying him, either by Freezing, Bouncing, or placing weak plants in front of him because when destroyed, he could possibly make a powerful zombie that could mess with your strategy. Generally, you should be ready for anything when facing this zombie.
Allow your own plants to try and destroy Portal Technician or use a damaging or destroying trick. Try not to use an instant-kill card on this zombie as you may need it if a strong zombie is made by Portal Technician. Once he is destroyed, depending on the zombie fighter that is made, use your destroying or damaging trick to destroy that zombie if it poses a threat to you. A plant that can do bonus attacks like Repeater and Bananasaurus Rex can help so that when this zombie gets destroyed, the new zombie made will be damaged heavily, if not destroyed. Guacodile is another alternative, since it will destroy Portal Technician and do 4 damage to the zombie made at the cost of itself.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Portal Technician.
- When he attacks, he shoots one of many random objects out of his portal. These objects can be a roadcone, a boot, a Yeti Lunchbox, Mad Chemist's beaker, Trickster's rubber chicken, Coffee Zombie's cup, and Trash Can Zombie's lid.
- He and Barrel of Deadbeards are the only zombies capable of making another zombie on the same lane.
- When he is destroyed, he gets sucked into his portal, and then the portal spits out the newly made zombie.
- Strangely enough, Portal Technician shares lighting similar to most legendary cards, but it remains in the super-rare rarity.
- Disco-Tron 3000 also shares this trait.
- And to add to that, Trickster doesn't share this legendary lighting, this could suggest Trickster wasn't originally meant to be a legendary card, but instead, Portal Technician.
- Disco-Tron 3000 also shares this trait.