PopCap Games is an American video game development and publishing company, based in Seattle, Washington. It was founded in 2000 by John Vechey, Brian Fiete and Jason Kapalka, and currently employs more than 400 people. PopCap specializes in "casual" games, and often allow people to play their games for free during a brief trial period before the game must be purchased.
PopCap's first game, a gem-swapping game called Bejeweled, has sold more than 50 million units and was awarded the Computer Gaming Hall of Fame in 2002. PopCap games are available for Web, PC, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation 3, Zeebo, Cellphones, PDAs, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, Nintendo DS and other mobile devices. Plants vs. Zombies was started in 2009 with its release to the PC and Steam. Over time, the game was released to other consoles.
PopCap Games and their franchises were purchased by Electronic Arts (EA) on July 12, 2012 for 650 million U.S. Dollars. After being bought by EA, PopCap created Plants vs. Zombies Adventures and Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time, and are currently working on Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
In 2009, PopCap games came out with Plants vs. Zombies, the very subject of this wiki. It is a Tower Defense game where the player defends his/her house with plants against an oncoming horde of zombies. The game received a positive response from critics, and was nominated for multiple Interactive Achievement Awards, alongside receiving praise for its musical score by Laura Shigihara.
List of Plants vs. Zombies games
- Plants vs. Zombies
- Plants vs. Zombies: The Board Game (non-video game)
- Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
- Plants vs. Zombies Adventures
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
- Bejeweled- Switch jewels around to make matches
- Bejeweled Twist- A spin-off to Bejeweled
- Bejeweled 3- Another sequel to the Bejeweled series
- Feeding Frenzy- Eat other fish to become the top of the food chain
- Peggle- Shoot objects to clear pegs
- Peggle Nights- An addition to Peggle
- Bookworm- Move tiles around to build words
- Bookworm Adventures- A sequel to Bookworm
- Insaniquarium- Feed fish with fish food
- Zuma- Eliminate all balls rolling around a screen
- Zuma's Revenge!- A sequel to Zuma
- Heavy Weapon- Shoot high-flying vehicles down with heavy artillery.
See here for a complete list.
- Electronic Аrts (EA) bought PopCap for 750 million dollars.
- In September 24, 2012, PopCap shut down its studio in Dublin.