- Not to be confused with the online version of the original Plants vs. Zombies game, see Plants vs. Zombies Web Version.
The most notable change in Plants vs. Zombies Online is the town feature and a Player vs. Player (PvP) system. The town is a place the player lives, with thousands of other players, and the player can choose to befriend them. PvP allows the player to battle their friends in the classic Plants vs. Zombies's Versus Mode. The player uses the plants they have developed to compete with others.
In terms of art style and gameplay features, it is more or less identical to Plants vs. Zombies 2. However, unlike it, it is a PC game with an online component with special gameplay elements of its own.
The game has three modes: a Town-building Mode where the player can unlock buildings and have a garden to grow and develop plants and make items; Normal Mode where the player defends their house from zombies around the worlds with plants, and a Adventure Mode which is a brand new mode. Its gameplay is a little like the popular mobile TCG "I AM MT". The player forms their own plants troop to battle against AI, as many as seven plant units which includes one from the player's friend can be sent into battle.
In order to play Plants vs. Zombies Online, you must create a QQ account.
After playing a few levels in Normal Mode, the player unlocks the Town feature, which is the main gameplay of the game and also a menu for all of the features, modes and buildings here.
- Normal Mode (Tower Defense) - This is the main gameplay where the player beats various levels and Brain Busters to proceed through the map.
- Adventure Mode - This is where the player fights against the zombies in turn-based combat to beat various levels.
- Mine - The player chooses to set their base on one of the maps and send off six plants for various rewards.
A. Plant Develop
- A1. Magical Exchange - Where the player can use their Plant Coins to exchange into Plant Puzzle Pieces.
- A2. Player's House - Where the player upgrades their plants used in Adventure Mode. Unlocks at level 7.
- A3. Brewery - Where the player gets various rewards such as Puzzle Pieces or Experience Beans. Unlocks at level 7.
- A4. Nutrition Room - Here the player obtains reagents that can be used to upgrade plants' stats. Unlocks at level 22.
- A5. Tree of Wisdom - With Tree Food, the player grows the tree which will upgrade the plants' stats during battle after it is upgraded for a level.
- A6. Laboratory - Using materials that can be found in Adventure Mode, the player can use them to create experiment bottles that can later be upgraded to upgrade the plants' stats.
- A7. Greenhouse - After completing several tasks, plants in Normal Mode can be upgraded here. Unlocks at level 3.
- A8. Zen Garden - Where the player plants and fertilizes plants for rewards. Sunflowers will give yield that when obtained enough, rewards Experience Beans. Other plants will give coins and other rewards. Unlocks at level 12.
- A9. Daily Activities - The player gains access to Daily Benefits > Daily Activities. In this feature, the player can earn materials through battling zombies. Unlocks at level 2.
- A10. Mysterious Card Pack - This wormhole will lead the player to the Brewery, but this time, with only one very expensive book that will give the player legendary rewards.
- B1. Zombie Island - The player selects 16 of their plants to have a match with zombies from different time periods in RPG battles. The progress can be resetted every day. The more level the player beats, the more chests the player can open. There is also a shop where the player can exchange their Adventure Medals for rewards. Unlocks at level 24.
- B2. Road of Trial - There are 150 levels where the player will fight the zombies in RPG style. After beating the levels, the more levels you've beaten, the more Upgrade/Equipment Materials you will get each day. Unlocks at level 15.
C. Social Interaction
- C1. Outpost - Information about ally reinforcements.
- C2. Information Booth - Here gives information about the player's current state in Mine. Unlocks at level 20.
- C3. Treasury - All the coins harvested through the Mine can be obtained here. Unlocks at level 20.
- C4. King of the Hill - The top players can fight each other to earn chests in this mode.
- C5. Backyard - For the player to change their Adventure Mode deck that will be used throughout the whole game.
- C6. Secret Guardian - The player send their plant decks to collect coins, hearts, Puzzle Pieces or Tree Food along with a few gems for either 3, 10 or 23 hours. Coins can be spent to fight other users' decks to get additional rewards.
- C7. Ranking - A leaderboard of the top players and guilds in the whole server. Unlocks at level 6.
- C8. Alliance - Everything related to alliance can be shown here. This includes the player's guild and the Adventure Mode (Alliance Mode) progress. Alliance points and Medals of Honor obtained can be exchanged for rewards, upgrades and others. Unlocks at level 12.
- C9. Arena - There are three types of arena battles, all of them allowing you to participate in PvP battles, all of which give you rewards. Brave Medals earned can be exchanged through the shop. Unlocks at level 11.
- Privilege Activities - Activities and offers from Tencent and QQ.
- Daily Task Rewards - Complete the daily tasks to make the town grow faster with EXP and earn lots of rewards.
- Login Courtesy - For a limited time, each day you log in will earn you some rewards.
- Consumption Rebate - During the event, your consumption on gold gems will be recorded. Consume more to get more rewards.
- Vasebreaker - An event where the player uses the Villain Mallets to smash the vases, which contain the rewards they have chosen.
- Plant Gifts - Spend 50 gold gems to roll the wheel of loots.
- Plant Carnival
- Featured Activities
- Value Packs
- Space War - A mini-game event which the player uses the up and down button to control the Peashooter riding on a spaceship that shoots missiles. The spaceship will be destroyed if made any contact with any spaceship, and will be damaged if hit an explosive enemy spaceship. The more enemy spaceships are destroyed with Peashooter spaceship's missiles, the more points the player gets.
- Wall-nut Pinball - The player is given with 3 balls daily to shoot a random Wall-nut. Each Wall-nut has an amount of point. Collect points to earn rewards.
- Coconut Battle - The player is forced to have the Small Gun item to play the mini-game. Get more points to earn rewards.
- Word Spell - The player collects the words from Seashells in Adventure Mode and use them to transfer into points, which the player can use to exchange into various items.
- Brave Insurance - The player can go to different areas in Adventure Mode with this event. Each one will have its own "large plant adventure". If the player picks the correct following destinations in the "large plant adventure", they will earn the reward. Three random areas will be shown, and it can be refreshed for free three times a day. After that, the player has to use Telescopes to continue refreshing the places.
- Super Card Flip - Three cards are shown in this event. They will flip over and the player can choose one of the three, as each one contains a reward. The player can do this for free 10 times a day, or pay gold gems for more.
- Slot Fun - The player pays Slot Coins for a spin. If the player gets 3 of the same item in the slot, the player will get the reward depends on the list of rewards next to it.
- Big Winds - When a Marigold is used, the Blover will blow once, and the player will get 15 "Wishing Stones", and randomly drop a reward shown which will be added to the player's Backpack. The Wishing Stones can be exchanged in its store before the event ends.
- Opening Service Gift - Where the player can earn daily rewards exclusive for starters or buy special monthly offers.
- Opening Service Gift - Daily rewards exclusive for starters.
- First Gift - Buy the featured plant pack offer with real money here.
- Dave's Bank
- Dave's Bank
- Free Plants
- Online Rewards - The more time you are online, the more rewards you will get with this feature. Will disappear after an amount of times obtaining the rewards in a day.
- Daily Benefits
- Daily Rewards - Daily logins rewards are obtained here.
- Daily Activities - Earn materials through battling zombies in this feature. Unlocks at level 2.
- Thief Catcher - Battling the Buckethead Mummy boss.
- Ordinary Waters - Battling the Shell Soldier Zombie boss.
- Deep Waters - Battling the Seahorse Flag Zombie boss.
- Registration Rewards - Same as the Daily Rewards in Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
- Online Rewards - Earn you a reward after reaching an amount of time being online.
- Level Packs - Earn your rewards for reaching an amount of level here.
- System Notification - See the news about the game's systems here.
- Across-Service Expedition - The players sign up to the server which will be divided into three camps. During the battling time, the players can battle others to get points.
- King of the Hill - The top players can fight eachother to earn chests in this mode.
- Daily Offers - Each day, the player gains access to this feature, which the player can earn rewards. The more times the player earns rewards, the more the player will fill up the "Wishing Pool" below which will level up once it is filled, increasing the offers' value.
- World Boss - Unlocks at level 16. The player can choose one of the three bosses here (Zombot Sphinx-inator, Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum Zombot or Knife-Wielding Swordsman [unlock at Level 55]) to fight in a special RPG level. The player will get big rewards after the battle once they dealt a total of 30 million damage or more to the boss. Even if you don't succeed, you will still obtain rewards from daily missions once the event has finished as long as you dealt a certain amount of damage.
- Treasure Hunt - The player will get three Treasure Maps to send their plants on a quest. Another user must be joining along in order to start. After the time runs out, if both users' sent plants survived after the quest, they will get the rewards depending on the number of stars of the Treasure Maps used. If only one of them survived after the quest, they will both get half the reward, but if both fail, no reward is given.
- Alliance Mode - A navigation to Adventure Mode in Alliance Mode, where the player will start beating the levels in Adventure Mode to add points to their guild and get alliance-related rewards, or more specifically, Medals of Honor.
- Guild Tournament - A mode similar to King of the Hill, but between guilds.
- Plant vs. Plant - Opens from 20:00 - 20:30 (GMT + 7), the player, once signed up, can have a PvP match with an another random opponent. The higher winning streak the player gets, the more points they will have. If they fails, they are forced to withdraw from the match and have to sign in again.
- Brain Talent - From 7:00 - 24:00 (GMT + 7), the player can have a multiple-choice quiz about the game. If they answer correct, their rewards will be increase a lot more than answering incorrectly. The player can also choose to answer the final question to get or lose a lot of rewards.
- Plant Awakening - Where the player upgrades their plants' moon rarity.
- Tower Defense - The player plays tower-defense related modes here.
- Time Travel - This mode is the equivalent of Piñata Party and Endless Zone of Plants vs. Zombies 2. The player plays up to 7 levels everyday to earn Piñatas. The player starts with limited amount of starting plants, but more can be obtained via cards similar to Endless Zones.
- Endless Challenge - The player will enter a special endless challenge to beat other users by getting as many points as they can.
- Tower Defense Challenge - Or Advanced Mode in Normal Mode. In the challenges of this mode, the player does certain objectives in the level to get points. They will get their rewards completing it at the end of the week, and their progress will be resetted each week.
- Treasure Yeti - In this mode, the player plays a special level where multiple Treasure Yetis appear. Rewards are awarded depending on the number of Yetis defeated, and the amount of Yetis that appear is dependent on which of the three difficulty levels you choose to play. Unlocks at level 28.
- Shop - Obtainables, materials, plants, plant costumes can be bought with gems or gold gems here. The items refresh every 24 hours.
- Inbox - The player gains sent items from their relatives here.
- Puppets - Zombie puppets are playable zombies that can be placed on the teleporter in every RPG battle. The teleporter can handle 5 zombies, and after each turn, it will transform into an another. Here, the player can upgrade or obtain zombie puppets. Unlocked at level 55.
- Plant Illustration - Views all plants' information. The player can also exchange Plant Puzzle Pieces into new plants that can be used in Adventure Mode here.
- Backpack - Holds all the player's contents.
- Tasks - All Daily Tasks are listed here. Complete each one will earn rewards.
- Friends - The player can fight their friends' plant decks to win more hearts, have a test match, or chat with them here.
Tencent Games and PopCap today kicked off worldwide the first beta test of Plants vs Zombies Online. The game recruited 3000 players to settle down in the PvZ town and interested gamers can apply to be the first citizens in the game.
Plants vs. Zombies Online enhances the gameplay and in the beta version, players will encounter a zombie boss inspired by Sphinx in Egypt. Besides, beta participants can get their hands on a new plant exclusive for this game, the Moten. Every player has a garden to grow and develop plants and make items.
|Icon||Area||Number of Levels||Requirement||Location||Time|
|Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum||40||N/A||Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor|
|Ancient Egypt||30||Complete Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum||Egypt||2495 BC|
|Pirate Seas||60||Complete Ancient Egypt||Europe||1679|
|Far Future||60||Complete Pirate Seas||USA||2323|
|East Sea Dragon Palace||16 (not finished)||Complete Far Future||East China Sea|
|Walkthrough (all areas)|
- Main article: Adventure Mode (PvZO)
- Split Pea (Adventure Mode only)
- Chili Bean (Adventure Mode only)
- Lightning Reed (Adventure Mode only)
- Pea Pod (Adventure Mode only)
- Melon-pult (Adventure Mode only)
- Starfruit (Adventure Mode only)
- Chomper (Adventure Mode only)
- Cattail (Adventure Mode only)
- Rose Swordsman (Adventure Mode only)
- Fire Peashooter (Adventure Mode only)
- Oak Archer (Adventure Mode only)
- Acid Lemon (Adventure Mode only)
- Ghost Pepper (Adventure Mode only)
- Guacodile (Adventure Mode only)
- Hurrikale (Adventure Mode only)
- Plantern (Adventure Mode only)
- White Radish (Adventure Mode only)
Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum
East Sea Dragon Place
Adventure Mode Only