|This article is about something that is no longer available, as it was only available for a limited time. This article is archived.|
|Plants vs. Zombies Adventures|
May 20, 2013
 (No longer available)
October 13, 2014
Plants vs. Zombies Adventures is a Plants vs. Zombies based game by PopCap Games that was available on Facebook. It was first announced on March 26th, 2013, was released on May 20th, 2013, and closed on October 12th, 2014.
The game had three modes: a town-building mode where players could build up their town by buying buildings and decorations, and planting plants, and a Road Trip mode where players defended their vehicles from incoming zombies with plants harvested from the town. The players could also play Brainball mode, they invaded other players' town to get brains, the five players with most brains in the leaderboard could get gems.
On July 14th, 2014, a message appeared to all players that the game would close on October 12, 2014. This is the first Plants vs. Zombies game to close down.
Plants vs. Zombies Adventures remains a tower defense game as the original, with the following notable changes:
- In Road Trip mode, players have a limited amount of plant types that can be used during battle. Seed Slots are unlocked for Zombucks as more stages are reached. Only five of each plant type can be used, although additional plants may be purchased with gems.
- Instead of having seeds, a player takes along plants grown in the city. Only a maximum of either 15 or 25 of each plant type can be kept in a player's inventory, for use in road trips.
- There are two types of battles: road trip battles, which play similarly to the original game, and city battles, where players defend their houses against zombies sent daily by the computer.
- Other players can attack another player's city with zombies (costs coins) once a day (paying gems for multiple attacks). The attacked player will not see the battle occur, and can't do anything other than to defend all their houses in advance. If the player loses a zombie battle, the target house becomes unusable, and must be repaired. The attacker can speed up their own Zombies or stun plants for a cost of 15 fog.
- Instead of plants disappearing after getting eaten by zombies, they get KO'ed instead. Killed plants can be revived for 25 sun after ten or so seconds.
- During combat, the player can click on plants to "buff" them, or zombies to "stun" them. Boosted plants gain either attack power or attack range for five seconds, while stunned zombies are frozen in place for three seconds. This ability costs 25 sun per use, has infinite uses, and doesn't have a cool down.
- The sun given will increase to 100 sun more because of zombies appearing more earlier.
CurrencyThe game has four different currencies:
- Coins. These are periodically generated by town buildings. Planting a plant in the planter boxes in town costs coins. More advanced plants cost more coins.
- Zombucks. These are dropped by zombies, and are given to the player as rewards for completing quests and beating stages in road-trip mode. Zombucks are used in town mode to buy and upgrade buildings, place decorations, and clean up the town.
- Gems. These are purchased with real money, and can be converted to the various resources at a pre-determined ratio. Gems are also used to expedite wait times for constructing or upgrading buildings.
- Sun. These drop in battles against zombies from the sky, and are periodically created by Sunflowers. Sun does not carry across battles.
Road Trip Stages
The road trip mode has the following map stages, each with a varying number of levels:
|Map Name||Screenshot||Levels||New Zombies encountered||New Plants|
|Dire Spires||7||Barrel Zombie||
|Cadaver Cavern||10||Buckethead Zombie||
Power Flower (VIP)
|Killjoy Park||22||Rocket Zombie||
Ice Queen Pea (VIP)
|U of Z||24||Football Zombie||Magnet Plant|
|Frostbite Falls||25||Ice Block Zombie||Flaming Pea|
Mall Cop Zombie (Possible bug.)
|Grey Matter Gardens||26||
|The Sever Glades||26|
|The Sand Dooms||26|
- Main article: Plants (Plants vs. Zombies Adventures)
- Main article: Zombies (Plants vs. Zombies Adventures)
|Crazy Dave||Matilda||Burt||Dottie||Officer Ron|
Boosts are add-ons that you can use during a level. They are generated from buildings, and can also be purchased with gems.
|Boost||Screenshot||Description||Gem Cost||Collected from||Comments|
|Lawn Mower||Replenishes your lawnmowers for extra protection!||50||
|Adds lawnmowers to all endlanes; one-time use only. Free for all normal levels.|
|Zombie Zapper||Stops all zombies for 10 seconds!||50||
|Stuns all zombies on the screen for 10 seconds. Has a 45-second cooldown.|
|Gardening Glove||Pick up and move a plant!||
|A glitch causes the plant will be perked when you move it unless you don't have enough sun. Can move plants back to RV for re-using. ??-second cooldown|
|Mega-Perk||Boosts all of your plants for 5 seconds!||?||
Boost all plants on the screen for 5 seconds, is quite similar to the Zombie Zapper, but the Mega-Perk boost plants. Has a 45-second cooldown.
|Dynamite||Blow away debris to reveal more magic spots in combat!||?||
|Only some debris can be cleared.|
Note: The Taco Truck drops a random boost.
- Main article: Achievements (Plants vs. Zombies Adventures).
Each stage has three main achievements and 35 Secret ones.
Ten days countdown
- The Verge, Executive Producer Curt Bererton says that "Figuring out a core combat that would allow players to defend their towns in interesting ways, while also being a truly fun standalone experience, took a lot of iteration. We prototyped 11 different variants of combat: some were very traditional path-based tower defenses where the zombies did not attack the plants, but we felt this lost some of the appeal of the original game. In an interview with
- Even though Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time was claimed to be the sequel to Plants vs. Zombies, this was the second Plants vs. Zombies game released.
- This is currently the only game without Tall-nut as Wall-nut's replacement.
- PopCap gave the users 100,000 Gems as a gift for the game shutting down.
- This is so far the only game that introduces human character other than Crazy Dave on-screen.