- For the Chinese version of this game, see Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time (Chinese version).
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time, commonly shortened to Plants vs. Zombies 2, is a tower defense game released by PopCap Games. This game is a sequel to the award-winning game Plants vs. Zombies. It was released for iOS devices on Thursday, August 15, 2013. In this version, the player battles new zombies in a time travel motif.
After the events of the game Plants vs. Zombies where the player defeated Dr. Zomboss at the rooftop of the house, zombies once again attacked the front yard and after the zombies are all defeated, the player gets the hot sauce and gave it to Crazy Dave. Crazy Dave ate his taco, and wanting to eat the taco again, wants to time-travel and as well introduced his partner, Penny, a machine that time travels him through time. Unfortunately, they went back to the Ancient Egypt, revealed that they time traveled 4000 years ago. And the journey goes on!
App Store Description
App Store Best of 2013
Play the sequel to the hit action-strategy with over 30 Game of the Year awards. Meet, greet and defeat legions of zombies from the dawn of time to the end of days. Amass an army of powerful plants, supercharge them with Plant Food and power up your defenses with amazing ways to protect your brain.
NEW PLANTS! NEW ZOMBIES!
Meet Fire Peashooter, Pepper-pult, Bonk Choy, Laser Bean, Pea-nut, and the prickly Homing Thistle: Just a few of the powerful new plants that will defend your lawn through time. Go toe-to-missing-toe with dozens of new zombies including Troglobite, Swashbuckler Zombie, Chicken Wrangler Zombie, Jetpack Zombie, Wizard Zombie, Mermaid Imp and Weasel Hoarder – the wiliest zombie of them all!
AMAZING WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR BRAIN
Choose your plants wisely for each level and plot out your winning strategy. Use Plant Food to supercharge your plants when you need it most. Freeze, flick and zap zombies off your lawn, using your fingers with simple touch controls.
GET CRACKING IN VASEBREAKER
Defeat endless zombie waves in Vasebreaker, the #1 mini-game from Plants vs. Zombies. Use smashing power-ups like the Butterizer, X-Ray vase vision and more.
UNLOCK YOUR ZEN GARDEN
Battle zombies to win sprouts, then plant them in your very own Zen Garden. Tend to it carefully and be rewarded with extra BOOM in your blooms.
LOOK OUT! ZOMBOT TUSKMASTER 10,000 BC!
Take on Zomboss at the end of each new world. He’s coming for you with a host of diabolical inventions designed to challenge your best defenses!
NEW LEVELS OF EXCITEMENT
Unlock ultra-challenging endless levels in every world — Pyramid of Doom, Dead Man's Booty, Big Bad Butte, Terror from Tomorrow, Arthur’s Challenge, Tiki Torch-er, and Icebound Battleground.
The Springening has sprung! The lawn is in full bloom in this latest update, including:
• 17 days of glorious garden parties, March 24 – April 9
• 8 spring-themed zombies, shuffling down the bunny trail
• Explosive special-edition plant Dandelion – get her for a limited time• Eggbreaker mode – new to Piñata Party
• 5 fresh collectible costumes
• New Wild West and Pirate Seas level packs for Vasebreaker
Thanks for playing! Let us know what you think of the game by rating us after each update.
|This is a long section. Click Show/Hide at the right of the section to show or hide the text.|
- For details on the major 1.7 update, see Plants vs. Zombies 2/Version 1.7.
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time will be updated at any time, opening new features and fixing glitches that can be encountered during game.
- August 20, 2012: Plants vs. Zombies 2 is announced.
- October 19, 2012: Plants vs. Zombies 2 is renamed Plants vs. Zombies 2: Garden Warfare.
- January 16, 2013, A release date is announced: June 30, 2013.
- May 6, 2013. A new release date is announced: July, 2013. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is renamed Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time and the first trailer was released on YouTube.
- June 3, 2013: Another YouTube trailer is made, this reveals PopCap is making the game be released first on iOS and Android, and on other platforms later on. Said trailer features Crazy Dave preparing to go back in time.
- June 13, 2013: Three "secret transmissions" from the game are publicly revealed, one for each area.
- June 26, 2013: PopCap Games announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2 will be delayed to later in the summer. The first Behind the Brainz video - What's New has been released.
- July 9, 2013: PopCap soft released the game to Australia and New Zealand.
- July 24, 2013: The fourth secret transmission has been released.
- August 2, 2013: The first update for the game, the 1.1 update, has been released.
- August 5, 2013: The second Behind the Brainz video - New Worldz has been released.
- August 7, 2013: The fifth secret transmission is publicly revealed.
- August 8, 2013: An update for the app has been released, adding a teaser for Far Future.
- August 10, 2013: Started development under Far Future.
- August 13, 2013: The third Behind the Brainz video - New Plants has been released.
- August 14, 2013: The fourth Behind the Brainz video - New Zombies has been released.
- August 15, 2013: The game is released worldwide for iOS devices.
- August 26, 2013: The 1.2 update for the app has been released to fix some bugs.
- September 10, 2013: The 1.3 update for the app has been released to fix some bugs.
- September 12, 2013: PopCap soft released the game for Android to China and says that the game will come out for Android (worldwide) this fall.
- October 24, 2013: The 1.5 update is released for iOS, adding improved graphics, Piñata Party, and making an end for the Ultimate Battle sound track.
- October 24, 2013: The game is released for Android devices worldwide.
- November 8, 2013: The 1.6 update released for iOS and Android, tweaking Piñata Party alerts.
- December 3, 2013: A pre-release of the following update was released for some users only.
- December 11, 2013:The 1.7 update is released for iOS and Android, which added a new map design, Turbo Button to speed up the game, Gargantuars, and changed gameplay speed and sun values.
- December 23, 2013: The 1.8 update was released for iOS translating the Piñata Party alerts.
- December 24, 2013: The 5 Days of Feastivus began, with a new Piñata Party level every day (from 12/24 through 12/29) with a winter theme.
- January 28, 2014: Info about the Dr. Zomboss fights has been released.
- January 29, 2014: The 1.9 update has been soft released, adding Dr. Zomboss level in Ancient Egypt.
- February 5, 2014: The 1.9 update has been officially released in the Google Play Store and the App Store.
- March 6, 2014: The 2.0 update is released, bringing back Dr. Zomboss in Pirate Seas.
- March 27, 2014: The 2.1.1 update along with Far Future world released. Zen Garden has also returned in this update.
- April 30, 2014: Far Future Zomboss level was released. Some Zombies got new birthday costumes.
- May 1, 2014: The 2.2 update was released. Birthdayz Parties began, with a new Piñata Party everyday until the end of May and has a birthday party theme, and the release of the Far Future Zomboss.
- May 29, 2014: The 2.3 update was released with bug fixes and "polishing up" for the game.
- June 10, 2014: Dark Ages: Part 1 gameplay footage was released, along with photos leaked from vandal.net.
- June 19, 2014: The first Dark Ages Piñata Party became available, as well as the addition of the premium plant Hypno-shroom.
- June 20, 2014: PopCap started development under Big Wave Beach.
- June 24, 2014: The 2.4.1 update along with Dark Ages: Part 1 was released.
- June 26, 2014: Magnet-shroom was confirmed to make a reappearance.
- July 1, 2014: Advertisements for Dark Ages: Part 2 were released.
- July 22, 2014: A new premium plant: Pea-nut, was released in the shop.
- July 24, 2014: New Piñata Parties were released, featuring plants and zombies from Dark Ages: Part 2.
- July 24, 2014: Dark Ages: Part 2 trailer and Dev Diary videos were released.
- July 25, 2014: The 2.5.1 update was soft released on some Android devices.
- July 29, 2014: The 2.5.1 update along with Dark Ages: Part 2 was released worldwide.
- August 1, 2014: The 2.6.1 update was released along with improving game stability.
- August 27, 2014: A video about the upcoming, returning from Plants vs. Zombies game mode called Vasebreaker is released.
- August 28, 2014: The 2.7.1 update was soft released for some Android devices, which features Vasebreaker.
- September 2, 2014: The 2.7.1 update, which added Vasebreaker to the game, was officially released in Google Play and the App Store.
- September 25, 2014:The 2.8.3 update was released only for iOS, containing fixes, improvements, and support for iOS 8.
- September 30, 2014: PopCap announced an upcoming new Dev Diary.
- October 4, 2014: Big Wave Beach: Part 1 trailer was released, featuring the return of the Chomper and seven new zombies.
- October 7, 2014: Chomper became available in the in-game store to start off the teasers for Big Wave Beach starting the day after.
- October 8, 2014: Big Wave Beach: Part 1 teaser Piñata parties were playable.
- October 9, 2014: The 2.9.1 update was soft released on some Android devices, along with the release of Big Wave Beach.
- October 13, 2014: A Dev Diary about Big Wave Beach Part 1 was released.
- October 14, 2014: The 2.9.1 update was officially released on the App Store and Google Play Store. This version brings in the Big Wave Beach Part 1, a costume-changer, and a limited-time premium plant, Ghost Pepper.
- October 24, 2014: The Lawn of Doom Piñata Parties were released.
- November 2, 2014: Big Wave Beach: Part 2 trailer was released, featuring new plants and new zombies.
- November 4, 2014: Ghost Pepper was removed from the in game store and replaced with Homing Thistle which costs 109 gems.
- November 5, 2014: A new Dev Diary, featuring Big Wave Beach Part 2 is released through a video of Part 264 of Zack Scott's gameplay on Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time. The 3.0.1 update was also soft released on some Android devices.
- November 6, 2014: The Big Wave Beach: Part 2 Piñata Parties were released, featuring Homing Thistle.
- November 11, 2014: The 3.0.1 update was officially released on the App Store and the Google Play Store, with Big Wave Beach: Part 2 and the special-edition gem premium plant, Sweet Potato.
- November 22, 2014: Big Wave Beach Part 2 Piñata Parties have ended. Costumes for Lily Pad, Tangle Kelp, Bowling Bulb, Ghost Pepper, Homing Thistle and Guacodile were made available to be obtained.
- November 26, 2014: The Food Fight Piñata Parties began, featuring Sweet Potato.
- December 2, 2014: The Food Fight Piñata Parties ended. The version 3.1.1 has been soft released on some Android devices, featuring Sap-fling.
- December 3, 2014: Version 3.1.1 has been released worldwide for Google Play and iTunes.
- December 19, 2014: 18 Days of Feastivus Piñata Parties began.
- January 6, 2015: 18 days of Feastivus has ended, but the Frostbite Caves teaser parties began, along with the Dev Diary posted. Hurrikale is available in store.
- January 7, 2015: A new trailer of Frostbite Caves posted on the channel.
- January 8, 2015: Soft release of 3.2.1 is available on some Android devices.
- January 13, 2015: Frostbite Caves was officially released to Google Play and iTunes.
- February 3, 2015: PopCap posted Valenbrains trailer on their channel.
- February 4, 2015: The Valenbrainz Piñata Party event begins.
- February 14, 2015: The Valenbrainz event ends.
- February 17, 2015: Fire Peashooter became available in the in-game store for 109 gems. Also, Hurrikale changed prices from 129 gems to 99 gems.
- February 18, 2015: Frostbite Caves Part 2 Piñata Party starts. The trailer for Frostbite Caves Part 2 is released.
- February 19, 2015: Frostbite Caves Part 2 is soft released to the Google Play store and Android devices.
- February 24, 2015: Frostbite Caves Part 2 was officially released to Google Play and iTunes. Prior to this update, plants that need real life money or gems to be bought now have a gold lock or a gem on its seed packet instead of a normal metal lock.
- March 10, 2015: The Luck O’ The Zombie Piñata Party event begins. Also, the special edition plants are back for sale until the end of these Party events.
- March 11, 2015: The Shop is redone, adding the limited time plants and a new tab to purchase costumes.
- March 19, 2015: The Luck O’ The Zombie event ends.
- March 20, 2015: The 3.4.4 update is soft released to certain devices.
- March 24, 2015: The 3.4.4 update is officially released on Android and iOS. The Springening Piñata Party event begins, with the new plant, Dandelion.
- April 9, 2015: The Springening Piñata Party event ends.
- April 15, 2015: A Piñata Party event sponsored by the insurance company Progressive begins.
Concept art and upcoming features
Order of events
Like the first game, the game starts with one lane on the lawn and the first plant you get is the Peashooter. The zombies appear once you plant your second Peashooter. After defeating all the zombies, you win the Sunflower.
The lawn expands to three lanes and the zombies appear once you plant three Sunflowers. After defeating all the zombies, you win the Wall-nut.
The player starts the third level, but before doing so, they have to clear the lawn of backward-facing Peashooters with the shovel. The Conehead Zombie is introduced in this level, and after winning, you get the Potato Mine.
In the fourth level, the player encounters the Buckethead Zombie, and after winning the level, he gets the Hot Sauce. Crazy Dave arrives and eats his taco with the Hot Sauce. Then he wants to eat it again. His time-machine Penny arrives and, along with them, you time travel to eat the taco once again, but you "accidentally" arrive in Ancient Egypt.
In Ancient Egypt - Day 5, the player is introduced to Power Ups (after receiving a jar of them in the previous level) that are Power Snow, Power Toss, and Power Zap. Power Pinch used to be featured in this level, but was replaced with Power Snow in the 1.9 update.
Before the initial battle in Ancient Egypt - Day 25, Dr. Zomboss tries to infer that there were brains in Crazy Dave's taco. After the battle, Crazy Dave remembers that he had no meat in the Taco, so Dr. Zomboss is proven false.
The player can be sent to the Pirate Seas and when Penny asks why they were there, Crazy Dave only replies with "But Pirates!".
Before the initial battle in Pirate Seas - Day 25, Dr. Zomboss asks how Penny was created, as its "Temporal Signature" is almost identical to Dr. Zomboss's creations. Penny questions Crazy Dave if she is a Zombot, but Crazy Dave only mentions his sandwich.
The player can be sent to the Wild West and with Penny's calculations: "0.015% of Taco" and "0.016%" margin of error".
In Wild West - Day 1, the player is introduced to minecarts, a feature exclusive to the Wild West. Players plant in them and are able to move the carts across lanes.
Before the initial battle in Wild West, Dr. Zomboss wonders if you considered that you are "Sharing in Crazy Dave's madness" and that "The zombies and I are normal people trying to help". But Crazy Dave only mentions that Zomboss is probably going to say there are "No spoons". After the level is beaten, Crazy Dave exclaims that no spoons were used in the level. Dr. Zomboss replies that he is right, since zombies have no information known about spoons.
Before the initial battle in Far Future - Day 25, Dr. Zomboss talks about how Crazy Dave is very helpful in the fight against the zombies and then says that "My sleeper agent will turn against you when the secret word is said." Then says "Hypno-Zombnosis" and Crazy Dave shows up and asks to borrow your brains, but then says he meant hot sauce. After the level is beaten, Crazy Dave snaps out of "hypno-zombosis" and Dr. Zomboss tries to hypnotize him again, only to forget how to say "hypno-zombosis".
Before the initial battle in Dark Ages - Night 20, Dr. Zomboss tries to infer that the reason Plant Food causes plants to be so violent, is that Plant Food is made from zombies. After the level is beaten, Penny says that from her research Plant Food does not contain zombies or zombie byproducts.
Crazy Dave also notes that plants should not eat zombies, except for Chompers.
Before the initial battle in Big Wave Beach - Day 32, Dr. Zomboss tells you about how that Chomper and Bikini Zombie have been extra cozy lately, making him think that a plant-zombie romance is in bloom and how Chomper has the appetite of a zombie. After the level is beaten, Penny says that Dr. Zomboss was trying to sow "seeds of discontent" with Crazy Dave saying that they're the only ones that are going to "sow the seeds".
The player can be sent to the Frostbite Caves and is introduced to sliders, frozen plants or zombies, the chilling wind and a new Power Up, Power Flame, which can only be used in Frostbite Caves. After beating Frostbite Caves - Day 15, the player will get a stone tablet with brains and zombies in it.
Before the initial battle in Frostbite Caves - Day 30, Dr. Zomboss questions Crazy Dave's taco if it's a trap and a trick. After the level is beaten, Crazy Dave and Penny were going to explain the second reason why they were time-travelling in the first place, until Dr. Zomboss interrupts that he isn't defeated, is going to reveal a "BIG SURPRISE" and will stop speaking in third-person.
|Icon||Area||Number of levels|
|Big Wave Beach||32|
- Main article: Plants (PvZ2)
- Gatling Pea - Using Plant Food on a Peashooter or Repeater temporarily upgrades it into a Gatling Pea.
- Flower Pot† - The plants in the Zen Garden are in Flower Pots.
- Pumpkin - Pumpkin was on a Halloween Piñata Party promotion.
- Cactus - Cactus can be seen on a Wild West chunk.
A plant marked with " is an upcoming plant.
A plant marked with * is a premium plant.
A plant marked with ^ is a limited time plant and can no longer be obtained.
A plant marked with ` is a limited time plant, but can still be obtained.
A plant marked with † is only found in the Zen Garden.
- Main article: Zombies (Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time)
- Zombie (now known as Basic Zombie)
- Conehead Zombie
- Buckethead Zombie
- Flag Zombie
- Dr. Zomboss (using his new time-based Zombots)
- Dancing Zombie (rides a jetpack in Far Future, known as the Disco Jetpack Zombie)
- Snorkel Zombie
- Yeti Imp
- Anniversary Zombie
- Anniversary Flag Zombie
- Anniversary Gargantuar
- Christmas Gargantuar
- Christmas Imp
- Leprechaun Imp
- Easter Gargantuar
- Easter Imp
- Halloween Zombie Variants
- Franken Gargantuar
- Bride Imp
- Chef Zombie
- Turkey Wrangler Zombie
- Zombie Turkey
- Feastivus Zombie Variants
- Feastivus Gargantuar
- Feastivus Imp
- Valentine Zombie Variants
- Love-struck Gargantuar
- Cupid Imp
- Irish Zombie Variants
- Leprachaun Imp
- Easter Variants
- Treasure Yeti
- Egyptian Treasure Yeti
- Pirate Treasure Yeti
- Futuristic Treasure Yeti
|See Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time/Gallery.|
- Ancient Egypt and Dark Ages are the only worlds where sun-producing plants can be unlocked (not including Player's House).
- There was a milk carton in the trailer saying that Squash was missing.
- In the trailer, there is a poem on Crazy Dave's fridge that said "Roses are red, Snow Peas are blue, Zombies are green, and they're coming for you!".
- In the trailer, there is a photo on Crazy Dave's fridge referencing the Back to the Future movies.
- In the trailer, there is a cameo of the Day note hanging on the wall.
- In this game, tombstones, instead of zombies spawning from them at the end of the level, they are simply there to block non-lobbed shots. They regain the ability to spawn zombies in Dark Ages during the "Necromancy!" surprise attacks.
- In the old map, one of the levels on the main path (1-8, 2-5 and 3-5) are a small version of the side paths (Mummy Memory, Cannons Away, and Not OK Corral respectively).
- Some music has been brought back from the original game, but remixed to match the time the level is set in. For example, in the Endless Zone levels and mini-games of Wild West, Ultimate Battle and Brainiac Maniac can be heard, respectively, but with a western sound font.
- Ancient Egypt music uses a harp like tone font instead of original stringed instruments.
- Pirate Seas music uses a flute like instrument. But some of the instruments in the music are not invented yet. For example, the piano.
- Wild West music uses fiddling.
- Far Future music uses electrical instruments.
- Dark Ages music uses maracas, basses, drums, banjos, and human sounds (hooting?).
- Big Wave Beach music uses modified versions of the Far Future.
- Frostbite Caves presumably uses knocking on logs, hooting, knocking on icicles, and many others.
- The time of the present in this game most likely takes time in 2009. This can be proven by the phrase "Stars can help us get back to the year 2009 and your taco", said by Penny. It is likely 2009 was chosen because that was when the original game was released.
- There are 182 levels in Plants vs. Zombies 2, meaning that the player will have been traveling for almost 1/2 a year in game time once they complete all of the levels.(as each level is 1 day).
- In the 2.1 update's icon, the Shield Zombie wears a brown coat, while all Future Zombies wear red shirts.
- In every world (except Player's House), plants can be planted on the ground without Flower Pots, even though the ground consist of stone and other materials.
- Mushrooms no longer sleep during the day in this game.
- So far, the only zombies that have been shown on the game's icon are Basic Zombie, Dr. Zomboss, Shield Zombie, Knight Zombie, Wizard Zombie, Snorkel Zombie, Octo Zombie, Cave Zombie, and Troglobite.
- Unlike the first game, the almanac does not appear on the seed selection screen.
- However, one can still technically access it through the Zen Garden.
- Crazy Dave gives the player a tutorial for every plant that requires to be tapped (Coconut Cannon, Magnifying Grass, Banana Launcher, and Fire Gourd).
- The player can now sync their progress using Google+, which can be used to transfer their progress to multiple devices.
- Unlike the first game, the plants not recommended to use have not been disabled. However, Lily Pad, Tangle Kelp, and Hot Potato are the exceptions.
- In the 2.9.1 update, the option to switch/turn off costumes is introduced.
- In the reveal trailer, the part where Crazy Dave flies away into another time is a reference to Back to the Future - Part 1.
- This movie is also probably the inspiration for Penny, as both pieces of media include the time-traveling vehicle.
- All the plants from the Day and Pool levels from Plants vs. Zombies are in the game.
- All plants except Sun-shroom and Sunflower require to recharge before they can be used at the start of the level, unlike the first game where medium and slow recharge plants need to.