The following is a list of all the found glitches in Plants vs. Zombies 2. Feel free to add one if you discover one that is not written here.
Hypnotized Zombie Bull Rider Glitch
If you feed a Zombie Bull a Hypno-shroom (or hypnotize it with a Caulipower) and it encounters a zombie, it will try to throw an invisible Bull Rider. If it is too close to your house (second column from your house is the maximum distance this can occur), it will fling the Bull Rider to your house and eat your brains. It also ignore lawn mowers. Also, the Zombie Bull would suddenly be healed back to full health.
Progress Loss Glitch
If you complete a level without collecting the reward, then force close the app, it will be as if you never did it. Coins spent or boosts used will not be restored.
Left-Facing Perfumed Allied Zombie Glitch
- When the zombie is on the 2nd column from the house, use Pumpkin Witch or Hypno-Shroom on it. If you are using Magic Mushroom's plant food effect instead, make sure that one of the rows is free from zombies. This allows the spawned zombie to appear on the first column from the player's house.
- Use Perfume-shroom on that zombie to make it turn to the left. It will go past the plants and lawnmowers and into the your house, causing you to lose the level.
Note that if this is done when the zombie is further away from your house, it walks back a couple of squares left before resuming its progress right.
Pirate Seas Day 22 Glitch
Sometime, when you complete the level, the Imp Cannons will stay there and not be destroyed. It is currently unknown how to get the glitch to work.
Coin Buying Music Interference Glitch
Strangely, as of version 5.5, clicking on the coin buying menu during a level will stop the level's music completely. The only way to fix this is to click the coin purchase menu again, though this doesn't always work. Alternatively, exiting the level also works. Note: This doesn't happen in boss levels though when you click on the coin menu during those levels.
Very rarely, if a Swashbuckler Zombie is about to land on your lawn and you use a Blover, when he lands he can still be blown into the water. This has only been tested in Dead Man's Booty.
No Peas For You
If you complete the tutorial before Ancient Egypt with no Sunflowers, you will then have no Peashooter when you arrive at Ancient Egypt. This is not reversible but there have been no glitches that have been found from effects of this glitch.
PvP Plants Glitch
If you put a Pendant pot on a Level 4 plant, the pot will appear on every one of those plants in every base in PvP Mode, which very likely isn't the case that the other player has the pot on that same plant.
Bombegranate in Zen Garden Glitch
It is unknown what causes this to occur. It is possible for Bombegranate to be placed in the Zen Garden. It does not have a watering animation and if you try to boost it, the dialogue box asking if you want to boost it will appear blank. If you use it in a level, it won't count as using the "boost" and Bombegranate will remain in the Zen Garden. This is most likely an oversight.
Lost City - Day 15 Music Glitch
Strangely, once the music gets to the end before it loops in this level, the music will not loop, and there will be no music. This doesn't appear to happen in other Lost City levels.
In-Air Gargantuar glitch
If you plant a boosted Stunion right before Hair Metal Gargantuar being killed by shockwave, Hair Metal Gargantuar will become stunned while it is being pushed.
When playing a level in Dark Ages, whenever a Necromancy event happens, the ambush message appears unfinished. Strangely, Raiding Party and Bot Swarm work.
Un-completed Level Glitch
Sometimes, when you finish a level (killed all zombies in the last wave), the game simply does not give you a reward, and the stage isn't completed. You still receive sun, and you can still plant, but no zombies come since the stage ended. The only possible solution is to restart the level. This glitch has also been found in endless mode, and has no current solution, as there is no way to restart in endless.This was discovered in Modern Day, Day 2. (Bluestacks, version: 5.1.1)
In version 1.8.0, play Frostbite Caves - Day 21, and if you plant a Jalapeno near the zombies, the Jalapeno will be frozen.
Battery Kills Your Data
If your battery dies while the game is open and playing, sometimes all your data will be erased and you will have to start over. Also, if you check your save file (pp.dat), it will have 0 bytes and it will be empty. To prevent this devastating glitch from happening, you should never play Plants vs. Zombies 2 when your phone/tablet has less than 30% battery.
Modern Day Music Glitch
Sometimes, in Modern Day, the music will loop at the wrong time, and the same theme will be playing twice at different intervals. This also happens in Jurassic Marsh and very rarely in the World Map
iOS Crash Glitch
If the player turns the screen around before the EA logo pops up, the game will always result in a crash. It is unknown what causes this. Android has not been tested.
Shoveling Plants in Conveyor Belt Levels Glitch
This was discovered in the Children's Day Event in the Chinese version.
When the player digs up a plant in a conveyor belt level (tested in Special Delivery), the player will receive sun, although no sun is given in these types of levels. The sun goes to where it normally flies to, but ultimately does nothing.
Not Recharged Yet
If you rapidly tap a sun-producing plant in the beginning of the stage other than Sunflower, the game will say its usual message of plants needing recharge time, even though those plants are instantly available. This is most probably caused by plants actually starting their recharge timer before the level even begins. It would also explain the Jump-start Recharge glitch.
Two plants may be standing on the same exact tile at the same time if a plant is pulled by a Fisherman Zombie. This is because there is a surfboard on the tile where the plant was supposed to go, but because you cannot plant on surfboards, this happens.
iPhone GUI In-game
When finishing an Epic Quest level, the iPhone GUI could appear, adding at the top the time, signal, Wi-Fi signal, battery, and additional settings. It can be helpful to know what time it is or if your battery is low, though it increases difficulty of placing plants in conveyor-belt levels or giving Plant Food as the Notification Center or Control Center is pulled down much more easily. This lasts until the game reloads.
Octopi Set Ablaze by Jack O' Lantern
When an Octo Zombie throws an octopus on a burning Jack O' Lantern, the flame remains visible in front or behind the octopus.
This has been discovered in the Piñata Party of the 17th of March, 2016.
Teleporting Barrel Imps
When using Grimrose on Barrel Roller Zombie's barrel, it will still release two Imp Pirate Zombies as usual. However, an animation glitch happens where the Imps seem to fly off the screen, but then they teleport back to their respected lanes.
Mold Texture Glitch
Sometimes, when you enter any level that have "Don't plant in Crazy Dave's mold colonies" objective, click Home button, and click games icon again, all molds will have a black square texture.
This has been tested in Big Wave Beach and in the Modern Day part 1 update. This only happens with an Android emulator on Bluestacks.
Oh no you don't!
Note: This is tested in Modern Day - Day 25.
Endurian on Ice-block
In Modern Day - Day 34 (Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC battle) sometimes when the Zombot is making iceblocks with an Endurian in the way, sometimes the Endurian stays as if it were in a normal tile. It is unknown how this happens.
Level complete theme glitch
Sometimes, when you complete a Zomboss battle level, Neon Mixtape Tour's level complete theme plays, overlapping with the 'Zomboss defeated' theme.
Moonflower producing sun in Modern Day - Day 34
Go to Modern Day - Day 34 and if you get the Zombot Dinotronic Mechasaur battle and you feed Plant Food on Moonflower, it will be producing sun despite it is a conveyor-belt level. However, the sun will immediately disappear. This also happens on Modern Day - Day 44.
This glitch was encountered in Modern Day - Day 33 when the Zombot Tomorrow-tron is fought. This glitch is a graphical one. To attempt this glitch, degrade the robot into the 3rd phase, then wait for the charge attack. You may notice the legs will be in a normal condition. The reason for this is probably because the Zombot uses the same animation no matter what phase, causing the leg to revert to the 1st phase appearance.
Loading assets: Black hole
This glitch can be obtained by following these steps:
- Wait for a zombie to come.
- A few moments before the zombie steps into the 8th column, plant a Grimrose on the 9th column. If you look, the black hole sprite will not appear, causing the line to extend while the zombie stays alive.
- To kill the zombie, make the zombie walk in contact with a plant. Grimrose will now work properly.
Moonflower aura glitch
Note: This is only a visual glitch.
Hallucination/Physical Newspaper Zombie
It is unknown how rare or common this is, but sometimes a Newspaper Zombie is enraged he can sometimes go through the mower without triggering it, and ignores your brains.
Missing Valenbrainz Piñata
If you have installed the Modern Day Part 2 soft release before the Valenbrainz event has ended and you win a Piñata Party, the piñatas will be sun sprites. Clicking on the sun sprites will do nothing, so you cannot open a piñata, forcing you to kill and relaunch the game. This is because the sprites for the Valenbrainz assets (the zombies, background, and the piñatas) were deleted from the game, resulting this glitch. Sun sprites appear when the game has a nonexistent sprite that is used in the game.
Glitches associated with Blooming Heart
Sometimes Blooming Heart insta-kills a zombie. This happens more frequently than the immortality glitch.
It also sometimes makes a zombie invincible. When a zombie is invincible, Power Snow and Power Zap cannot defeat it, but Power Toss can flick the zombie. Lawn mowers can defeat invincible zombies as well, however if it happens with a frozen block, there is nothing that can break it, but since these self-destruct upon completion of level, winning is possible. It can also affect plants if the projectile is deflected by a Jester Zombie.
This can give both zombies and plants (using Jester Zombie to return projectiles, or feeding an immortal zombie with Hypno-shroom) an unfair advantage of being unable to get killed while making the other team lose.
Last Survivor Zombie
It is unknown how this happens, but sometimes a zombie will survive when any Zombot is defeated. So far the only zombies affected are the Dodo Rider Zombie (flies over lawnmower, cannot die), the Adventurer Zombie (can be killed with Boulder Tiles), and Blockhead Zombie (can be killed with lawnmower, if available).
Go to a Modern Day, or Frostbite Caves level. Make sure a Hunter Zombie is encountered. Plant a Nightshade in the Hunter Zombie's lane. When the Hunter freezes the Nightshade while the Nighshade's petal is drifting off, the petal will stay in mid-air until the Nightshade is unfrozen. This similar glitch happens to Chard Guard.
This glitch can only occur on La Brainsa Tarpits.First the Ankylosaurus hits the Jurassic Gargantuar to the plants, then a Stegosaurus snares the Jurassic Gargantuar, then a charmed raptor kicks the Jurassic Gargantuar while the Stegosaurus flings it, and then the Jurassic Gargantuar gets slanted. It could have happened with other zombies. This glitch can also happen if an Ankylosaurus hits a zombie toward a blue plasma ball from Citron's Plant Food effect.
Piano Zombie dies at the start
Go into any level where the Pianist Zombie appears, and when you're done choosing your plants, you can hear the sound effect of a Pianist Zombie dying after "Ready Set PLANT!" is said on the screen. This can also happen with conveyor-belt levels.
Hey, I paid for that!
Sometimes, premium plants don't appear on your plants selection screen after purchasing them. A weird fix is that if you defeat Zombot Tomorrow-tron, then you will receive them.
Go on Ancient Egypt - Day 18, and tap the power button on your tablet/phone. Tap it again, and the screen will not scroll to the zombies.
Last Stand: The Flying Potato Mines
Boosting Potato Mine and Primal Potato Mine and planting them in a Last Stand level will cause their clones to loop, flying up and down until it goes off screen. Planting a certain amount will disable you from planting from other tiles, since the clones are there, just that it is invisible. Pressing the Let's Rock button will make them appear and armed.
Note: This also happens with Chili Bean.
Primal Potato Mine surviving under frozen block
When a Troglobite pushes a frozen block over a Primal Potato Mine, Primal Potato Mine just acts as if there are no obstacles over it, does not get crushed, and explodes in a 3x3 area normally.
Electric Blueberry zapping Swashbuckler Zombies
If Electric Blueberry targets a Swashbuckler Zombie while swinging, it will place the cloud on the block where it will land and the cloud will continuously zap the tile. The Swashbuckler dies but still lands on the said tile with its head already lost.
Blind Electric Blueberries
Perfume-shroom Last Stand Glitch
Similar to what happens with Thyme Warp. During Last Stands, the player can plant Perfume-shroom even though it is an instant-use plant. Perfume-shrooms cannot be dug up once planted, it will also not activate unless the player starts the level.
Jurassic Bully Glitch
Whenever a Jurassic Bully dies, the sound heard from a Troglobite pushing an ice block can be heard. It is unknown whether this is intentional or not, but this could be possible that this zombie has the properties of a Troglobite and the developers forgot to remove the sound a Troglobite makes.
Sometimes, when zombies are suddenly killed, their jaws or shields will appear and disappear.
Zombie out of Water
Sometimes in Big Wave Beach, when a Primal Peashooter pushes a zombie to the water, it goes all the way to the right. When it does go there, it returns to its original place.
If you stun an Imp that has been launched out of an Imp Cannon, then push them back with Primal Peashooter, they will walk on the water. This happens to Swashbuckler Zombies as well. This happens because they are set to land on a certain tile. When the Imp gets shot out, and it was supposed to land on a certain tile, but it overwrites the data and makes the block it's on solid.
If an Excavator Zombie digs up a Jack O' Lantern, the Jack O' Lantern's fire will be on the tile Jack O' Lantern is going to land while the Jack O' Lantern is still being thrown.
Frozen Arcade Zombie
If you plant a plant with a costume on, and then change its costume via costume changer, the plant will have the same costume and when you plant another, the plant will have the new costume. It is unknown if this is unintentional or not.
Chili Faint glitch
If Chili Bean is used on a zombie protected by the rainbow by Glitter Zombie, the zombie will get glitched, and will just stand on where it is with its fainted color, unable to move nor perform any other actions. It will not die by the Chili Bean but it can be killed by other plants. It is the only way to get a chilled and fainted zombie and this can make the level go on forever.
Zombot's graphics disappearing
In version 4.1.1 on the Zombot Multi-stage Masher, there is a glitch like the "Puddles" glitch that removes sprites of the stage, leaving only Dr. Zomboss. You must save and exit the level, and then reenter the level. This will remove the Neon Zombies with the instruments and the stage, leaving only Dr. Zomboss on land. The stage will reappear when it changes to another phase. It also happens to Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC with his ice blocks, except the ice blocks on the top and bottom row will never reappear if this happens.
This glitch was found in version 4.1.1 and it was encountered in every Big Wave Beach level in the game. It removes a couple of sprites of the water and the water functions still work normally. To get this glitch, you have to save and exit in any Big Wave Beach level, then come back to the same level you have saved.
Bonk Choy Uppercut Glitch
It is unknown how this occurs, but sometimes, Bonk Choy will not stop doing uppercuts until any obstacle or zombie has been defeated/destroyed. This was tested in a day in Ancient Egypt.
Turn off the music volume then go to any boss battle. When you finish it, the Neon Mixtape Tour outro music can be heard. Also, if you finish the Zombot Multi-stage Masher and go and complete any Zomboss fight, you can hear the Neon Mixtape Tour victory theme. The Neon Mixtape Tour level victory theme will overlap the Zomboss defeated tune.
Zombie Transformation glitch
In Piñata Parties, when an event is based on a theme, e.g. Summer Nights, Sneak Peeks, when there are Imps thrown from a Zombie Bull or a Gargantuar from a different theme, the Imp will turn into the theme-based Imp instead of the supposed Imp. This also happens with the Bug Zombie.
A plant on Arcade machine glitch
When a Spore-shroom spawns and an Arcade Zombie pushes the arcade machine onto the square while the Spore-shroom is still spawning, the Spore-shroom will be on the arcade machine.
- If timed correctly, you can also place a plant at the same time Arcade Zombie pushes the machine.
- You could just plant a Primal Potato Mine to do the glitch, since it can't be crushed by the arcade machine.
Barrel Roller Zombie was a clown glitch
If the player looks in the almanac icon, you will see that Barrel Roller Zombie's face has been severely distorted, this face is used PvZ: Online. It's possible this was intended to be Barrel Roller Zombie's original face design.
Sheep doesn't exist glitch
When a Wizard Zombie transforms a Celery Stalker into a sheep, wait for a zombie to pass the sheep, and the Celery Stalker will attack as normal, as if there was no sheep. The Celery Stalker can be transformed infinite times.
Missing Music glitch
Where when you play any level in Lost City, no music will play. Your volume and setting will not change anything either.
This glitch has been fixed upon the release of Lost City Part 2.
"There is an icicle on your lawn" glitch
If you kill the Zombot Sphinx-inator while there are zombies frozen on the lawn, the zombies will die, but there will be icicles left on the ground.
No Flag on a Level
Few Piñata Parties and levels don't use a flag on its progress bar. It's part of the game programmers' error in coding. This also happens in some Jurassic Marsh levels.
Imitater Is a normal Plant
Missing Forearm and WristThis happens on any device. If a Summer Zombie, Neon Zombie (before the Neon Mixtape Tour Side A update) or Wizard Zombie loses its arm and manages to get past your defenses, and eat your brains, his forearm goes missing and his hand will float as he eats the brain. The hand will disappear and will appear like the zombie ate his hand, too. This also applies to Parasol Zombie, except the fact that her "floating hand" is still holding her parasol and only disappears during her dying animation.
Boosted Unearned Plant
This glitch probably occurs rarely. On a level, when selecting your plants before the 3.6.1 update, tap on a plant you haven't unlocked yet (for example, Banana Launcher), and boost it with gems. You can't use it until you unlock that plant, thus wasting the spent gems.
Flag Zombie's handThe basic variants of Neon Mixtape Tour have a glitch with their hand. When they die, you'll notice the hand without the other part of the arm. It is like a Flag Zombie's hand or hand of any zombie that carries something. This glitch is probably because EA and PopCap used Summer Zombie's animation (Summer Zombies always carry things) and used them for NMT basics. (It can also be due to them decomposing from being killed.) This is only obtained by hacking the early period of Neon Mixtape Tour side A to achieve the Summer zombies' sprites or playing a Piñata Party with these zombies before the Neon Mixtape Tour Side A update.
Potato Mine and Celery Stalker on PlanksThis glitch works exactly the same as the Plant on the Water Glitch, allowing you to plant Potato Mine, Celery Stalker, Primal Potato Mine, or Escape Root on planks.
Marigold texture glitch
This glitch is unknown. However, it has been noticed that it appears sometimes after the zombie drops a black square, similar to the one that causes the Mirror Background glitch. It is more likely to be in the same categorized glitch as the error causing to plants, from the strange message.
Iceberg Lettuce freeze nothing Glitch 2
When a zombie is defeated, plant an Iceberg Lettuce in front of it before the headless body falls, and the Iceberg Lettuce will freeze nothing.
No Zombies for You
While fighting the Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC, pause the game, save and quit the level, and then exit it. Relaunch the game and make sure it shows the booting splash (the one with the loading bar). Now, open the battle and then resume it. Destroying ice blocks will not show a zombie out of it. When the Zombot summons more ice blocks, it will have zombies in it.
Recharge your Seeds in Special Delivery/Zomboss Battle
After you win a Special Delivery level, tap on a seed packet while the prize is on the screen. It will say you will need to wait to recharge your seeds.
No Camp Glitch
When the Imp Porter is trying to set up a camp (while falling down), quickly plant a Stallia on the Gold Tile. The Imp Porter will be slowed down, and no tent will appear. It also works with Lava Guava and Blover.
Imp Cannon Glitch
Rarely, using Ghost Pepper on an Imp Cannon, the Cannon will launch the Imp, but the Imp after landing (almost) will freeze and stay on the same spot until it is defeated.
Cannon Stun Glitch
The player can stun zombies permanently using a boosted Coconut Cannon, but the player must plant it on the 9th column, otherwise it wouldn't work, this is most noticeable on Gargantuars or any zombie that can survive the giant coconut bomb.
The Travel Log Glitch
If you are on a level in Dark Ages where you have already updated the game to the Travel Log update, it will say, "Unlock Sun-shroom on Dark Ages Day 1!" rather than "Dark Ages Night 1."
A glitch can occur where if one starts the Piñata Party with endangered Toadstools but then saves and exits the game will crash. Loading the game up again and resuming the party will result in all the endangered Toadstools not doing their job and just having their mouths open the entire time! This can also happen in regular levels. If you use plant food on tongueless Toadstool it won't attack and plant food effect won't end. This will render her invulnerable to zombies and the shovel.
More than one World Key
At your starting screen, sometimes you'll see an advertisement about fighting Dr. Zomboss or Gargantuar. If you see it, create a new account. After you choose the new account, the previous advertisement will still be there, click on it. You will have the map and a free World Key without playing Ancient Egypt - Day 1. Now go to Lost City and unlock it, the World Key number still remain in one. Then unlock Frostbite Caves, the World Key still remain in one. However, unlocking other random world actually "spend" that said Key, therefore back to 0.
Note: Because you didn't play Player's House - Day 4 you won't get coins. To fix it, just back to the start menu and click on Play button then play Player's House - Day 4.
Hidden Imp Glitch
Sometimes when the Gargantuar throws his Imp, then the Lightning Reed/Power Zap or the Cherry Bomb/Jalapeno kills him and turns him into ashes, you should still see a burnt Imp with the Gargantuar. This is because the Gargantuar only has one burning animation, and even if the Imp has already been thrown, the same burning animation is still shared.
Gravestone On The Lava
Lost City Texture GlitchWhen starting level 11 on Lost City, rapidly go to the Zen Garden, and then to Almanac. When you come back, there is a chance that the tiles will be black, other than the Gold Tiles.
Pushed Burnt Zombie Glitch
You need a Cherry Bomb, a Coconut Cannon, and Plant Food. Use Plant Food on Coconut Cannon then use Cherry Bomb just before the Coconut Cannon's big explosive coconut touches the zombies. When timed it right, the zombies may still be pushed away by the said coconut while they're still burnt by Cherry Bomb.
Free Gems Glitch
This glitch is similar to the infinite reward, but instead if a player earns gems from piñata or Gem Jam quest then immediately shut down the game after they get the gems then turn on the device again, they will receive another reward which is equal to the first. This is likely because the game does not realize the player already collected the rewards.
This glitch is unknown. What happens is, if you plant a Guacodile in the water of Big Wave Beach, it will sometimes spit seeds, where it normally doesn't in the water.
Plant Texture Glitch
This glitch occurs randomly after switching to the phone's desktop and then returning to the game. The frequency of the glitch is unknown. It also happens when a notification appears if using the Bluestacks emulator.
Frozen Disappearing Puff-shroom
To do this glitch,you must:
- Plant a Puff-shroom and don't feed it Plant Food.
- Once the Puff-shroom is fading away, a Hunter Zombie or the freezing winds could freeze the Puff-shroom even when it hid inside.
- The same thing happens when a Boombox Zombie plays its music. You will see hearts floating above the Puff-shroom's shadow.
You need a Dandelion for this. Go to Frostbite Caves and go to a level with chilling winds and/or Hunter Zombies. When the Dandelion is frozen, use a Hurrikale (most preferably) on the lane with the frozen Dandelion. When you unfreeze the Dandelion after using Hurrikale, the seeds blow off.
When finishing Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC, make sure that there is at least one ice block left. When Zomboss is defeated and while he is doing the defeat animation, make a plant to remove the ice block, and when the Zombot is dead, the zombie in the ice block appears, and will eat your plants. It will also go past the lawn mower without triggering it. When it reaches your house, nothing happens, and it will just walk off the screen. This problem is also present with Zombot Multi-stage Masher. However, you have to make sure when Hair Metal Gargantuar is about to throw their Imp, stun them with Stunion if you want to do the glitch. This has been fixed in the Chinese version.
Speed-up Reward and Dialogue
After you defeat the last zombie on the lawn, the prize is there. Before you collect the prize, press the Turbo Button. Collect the reward and it will speed up. This is also true for any animation or scripted event until you tap "Continue", "Next Challenge" or enter the Zen Garden, but not by visiting the Travel Log.
When you go to the almanac and exit and come back, the almanac and world music will play at the same time.
On rare occasions, music may overlap with each other, like the map music overlapped with the same map music or map music with a level music. Going to your Zen Garden fixes this.
Rarely, in Frostbite Caves, or any other time period, a few levels will turn green, The list of completed levels will even say that you did not complete those levels yet, the plants by those levels will be also locked. The glitch can fix itself if you quit the app a couple times.
Corpse Statue Glitch
If you use a Stunion on a zombie right before it dies, it will become stunned, however the gas cloud is not visible, making it some sort of corpse statue. It is especially noticeable with the Seagull Zombie.
Plant on Ice Block Glitch
When you are battling Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC and you have a boosted plant (Chard Guard, Pepper-pult, etc.). If the Zombot creates an ice block (before being fully created), quickly put a boosted plant in front of Zombot (or ice block if there is one or more ice block). Your plant is now on an ice block. (It works with Plant Food, but requires coins.)
Fire Peashooter Plant Food Glitch
Note: You need Fire Peashooter to perform this glitch.
When you give plant food to Fire Peashooter before the Pinata ends, the fire and its sound effect is still there when you open the Pinatas. The same glitch happens with Red Stinger's Plant Food effect.
Unlimited Reward Glitch
When in the Zen Garden, the ability to earn free coins will not disappear.
- The player can use this to get lots of coins, but it is a very time-consuming task.
Ghost Imp Cannon glitch
This glitch requires:
- A level with Imp Cannon (Preferably Dead Man's Booty)
- Iceberg Lettuce
When two Imp Cannons stack on each other in a lane with planks, place an Iceberg Lettuce on them. This will cause the plants in that row to shoot at the ghost, now invincible and invisible Imp Cannon to no end. You can try all you want, and it cannot be removed in any possible way - not even instant kills or lawn mowers. You can get rid of it with a Plant Food on a Citron.
If this happens in Piñata Party, as soon as you quit the game and reload it, it will not say Resume Event but instead Start Event. You will then have to do the Piñata Party again from the start.
Instants don't need a lily pad
This glitch can occur with any Big Wave Beach level. By making this glitch appear, plant any instant use plant on a Lily Pad just when a Deep Sea Gargantuar is about to crush the Lily Pad or when a zombie is about to eat the Lily Pad. You will see the instant plant appear on the water.
Shovel and Plant Crash
When you shovel a plant and quickly plant another in the same space sometimes the game crashes.
Note: This happens in the 3.2.1 row soft release, and was only confirmed on Days 10 and 11 of Frostbite Caves. It this possible this glitch occur because the game doesn't have enough time to remove the ice-data about the tile in which these actions happen.
Breakdancer Zombie Still Dancing Glitch
Sometimes when you kill a Breakdancer Zombie, its body will still breakdance until it dances off the screen. This works on any Neon Mixtape Tour level with Breakdancer Zombie.
Haunted plants Glitch
- Go to a level of Frostbite Caves with a frozen plant. (For example, Day 2)
- Pick Ghost Pepper as one of your plants.
- Use the Ghost Pepper to unfreeze the plant.
- The ghosts that Ghost Pepper uses to attack will surround the plant, even if the Ghost Pepper has exploded.
- Note: When you dig up the plant on that tile, the ghosts will still surround the area.
Citron freeze glitch
When a Citron is on the lawn before the level actually starts, and it becomes fully charged, it freezes in the position it's in on its seed packet, with a little bit of light surrounding it (like it does normally). This glitch can occur in a Last Stand level before "Let's Rock!" is pressed, and in Far Future - Day 15, where some Citrons are endangered, before the level is started.
In The Daily Treasure Yeti event (level 2 Pirate Seas's), a Conehead Zombie will appear in the most bottom lane of the screen. The Conehead will just fall into the water and die. Killing him will not give a special reward. This also works on Pirate Seas Day 8 of the international version, but chances of this happening are unknown.
Puff-shroom is just blind
When a Puff-shroom is still attacking a dead zombie after killing it, the spore will not disappear instead it will fly out of the lawn. In the Chinese version, it also works with the level 2 and 3 upgrade of Iceberg Lettuce.
If there are a large amount of free Power-ups in use, particularly with 5 digits, the letters will turn white, becoming almost unreadable. This is usually obtained with hacking, but can also happen with a duping glitch. The reason this happens is because the shadow on the text disappears when the text gets below a certain size. Because the text is white but has a black shadow, removing the shadow results in the text being almost invisible on the lightly colored background.
Jump-start Recharge Glitch
Double boosted plant
This glitch only appears when you pick a boosted plant and pick it on multiple levels.
- Pick a boosted plant
- Go to a level
- Save and exit and go to another level with the boosted plant
- Close the game instantly
- Open the game and beat both levels and go to another level
- The boosted plant will still be there and still boosted
Note:This glitch will only work on Android.
Mirror Background glitch
Note: This glitch doesn't work on iOS devices, exists through updates on Android.
This glitch is triggered when a the 'ALWAYSLOADED' textures load, but don't load at the same time. The game tried to load the textures and thinks it's found the file, but it hasn't so it 'loads nothing', resulting in this creepy broken mirrored background. This causes the Sun texture for missing animations to do the same thing, and also effects the pink square for missing sprites, as well as the texture for Sprouts, as those are all in the 'ALWAYSLOADED' texture. Sun that is encountered in levels uses an identical texture stored in a different file, so it isn't affected at all. The same thing happens when you get the glitch that makes the background black. (the missing Marigold Loading Circle glitch) What happens there is a lot more simple, the game just fails to load the texture completely, and so it ends up with a transparent texture, which defaults to black since there's nothing behind the actual background.
If this glitch happens, your background is going to get very strange, showing a reflection of the object in the middle of the screen.
It is unknown what triggers a zombie to drop this square, and the occurrence of this glitch is very rare. It has something to do with locking the device while the game is still running, and happens frequently more when a sun has just dropped, being near the plant which will be the mirror image. The only guaranteed way to stop this glitch is to force-close the game and open it again.
Shop icon mirror Petals glitch
There are a few instances where there is a shop icon mirror background glitch that serve as petals whenever your game loads instead of the usual Marigold image that tells that your game is loading.
Force Field glitch 2
This glitch is similar to the Floating Wall glitch. If you plant an Infi-nut right in front of the Fisherman Zombie, it pulls the plant as usual but this time if it had the plant food upgrade, the force field stays.
The game won't let you escape
If a Vigorous Broccoli is grabbing a zombie and an Archmage Zombie causes it to sleep, the zombie will stay in place until the Vigorous Broccoli wakes up.
No Rewards Instead Crash
Since the 3.0.1 update this bug appeared on the game.
Basically when you finish a level killing a Treasure Yeti, the game will crash.
It also happens in the Chinese version, on the 1.3.0 update, whenever you finish an event.
No HUD Glitch
The occurrence of this glitch is very rare.
When this glitch happens, all the HUD elements disappear, even the buttons in menus and events. Also the lunch box from the Treasure Yeti will appear as a sun instead.
Zombies Spawned in Wrong Boss Battle Stage
Note: This was tested on the 3.0.1 version of the iOS version of the game, on iPad, and on the first playthrough. It is unknown whether this occurs in other versions or other playthrough.
- Play Big Wave Beach - Day 32. (or any other boss fight level, except Frostbite Caves - Day 30)
- Survive until the start of third stage (the Zombot's health bar is less than 1/3 of starting health).
- Then the glitch: sometimes the Zombot Sharktronic Sub (or any other Zombot from particular level) will start the stage by spawning zombies, and sometimes zombies that are exclusive to other stage(s) get spawned (e.g. Deep Sea Gargantuar) which could ruin the level and cause the player to fail or force the player to restart if the issue is serious enough.
Replanted Lily Pad Glitch
To do this glitch, you must:
- Plant a Lily Pad (or skip this part if you see pre-planted Lily Pad).
- Save and exit.
- Enter the same level. And then, plant a Lily Pad on a Lily Pad.
Your sun will be spent, but no effect will happen. It is just a replanted Lily Pad.
Tangle Kelp Glitch
Note: This glitch was tested on Android, iPhone, and iPad.
When Tangle Kelp is grabbing a zombie, exit before the Zombie is killed by Tangle Kelp. After that, enter the same level. The glitch will do the following:
- The zombies that were grabbed by Tangle Kelp will be immobilized and immortal, but the zombies don't move.
After you finish the final wave, you will be stuck with the immobilized zombies (meaning that the level will never end). This is because the zombies that were grabbed by Tangle Kelp act like the background. So it can not be hit by projectiles. The only way to fix this is restart or use a Plant Food on a Tangle Kelp.
No Chomper or Ghost Pepper
- Play a Piñata Party with a premium plant that is before Chomper in the almanac.
- After beating the party, the ad for the premium plant being on sale will be seen. Tap the ad to enter the store.
- All premium plants except the later ones are there.
Explorer Zombie eating Spring Bean Glitch
- Pick a level with Explorer Zombie in Ancient Egypt.
- Pick Spring Bean and Iceberg Lettuce.
- As soon as Explorer Zombie comes, freeze him, then ignite torch.
- Now plant spring bean in front of him so he can eat infinite times.
The Explorer Zombie will continuously eat the Spring Bean until another zombie makes it spring a zombie back.
Diamond Exit Glitch
Occasionally if you click "Save and exit" it will make the diamond noise.
Note, this was done on level 16 of "Big Wave Beach", and this also can be done on any level (even on an Endless Zone).
My Peashooter is Gone
- Open Wild West - Day 1 for the first time.
- After they tell you to move the minecart where the Peashooter is, go to the Zen Garden.
- When you come back the Peashooter is gone.
This glitch works on some other levels when a plant is already on the lawn; for example, Far Future - Day 1.
Final Wave glitch
Note: This glitch was tested on Android and iPad. It may not happen on other devices.
- Sometimes when playing a level, the zombie on the progress bar will not move and it will say final wave. After that it will start moving.
- Another version of the glitch is when playing a level, the zombie's head suddenly move back to the beginning. And when it is Final wave, the head moves again like the 1st version.
Out of bar glitch
A sub-glitch to the fnal wave glitch
- Go to any Frostbite Caves level
- At the time the final flag shows up, kill all zombies with Citron, but try to freeze them by Stunion while they are about to get flung. After that, the zombie head will break out of the progress bar.
Last Stand sound effect Glitch
- Open any Last Stand level. This glitch works on the Last Stand setup, or when playing.
- Listen carefully as you press the pause button.
- If you did not hear it, press the pause button again on the top right. But do not press "resume".
- The glitch is that when the pause button is pressed, it will make the sound effect when pressing "Lets Rock!" and the normal record scratching.
The sound glitch (only the Let's Rock sound effect) can also be heard when the player drags something (like a plant or Plant Food) and puts it back.
Cannot move Glitch
Sometimes, when the player loads up the game, he or she cannot move. The player can just restart the game.
Hypno-shroom Can Be eaten Twice Glitch
- Plant a Hypno-shroom.
- Wait until a zombie comes to it.
- When the Zombie takes a bite, quickly put Plant Food on the Hypno-shroom.
- The Zombie will be hypnotized, and the Hypno-shroom will still be there.
- Now, when another zombie bites it, it will turn into a Gargantuar.
Wizard Zombie hand eating animation Glitch
- Attack Wizard Zombie until it reaches its first degrade.
- The Wizard Zombie can only eat hypnotized zombies and Infi-nut's force field (Plant Food ability)
- When the Wizard Zombie has lost its visible arm and starts eating the force field or a hypnotized zombie, the player can see that the arm is gone, but once it raises its arm to eat, you can see the hand even though the arm is gone. As of now this glitch has been fixed.
- This also happens with the Flag Zombie. A floating hand can be seen although it has lost its arm, and this glitch has not been fixed with this zombie.
Plant on the Water Glitch
Note: This must be done in Pirate Seas.
- At the final wave select a plant.
- When you complete the level do not collect the reward, instead plant the plant on water.
- The plant will be on water!
This only works in the international version, as of 3.00.1 it makes a splash sound.
Zombie Shadow Glitch
There is a glitch that the zapped zombie shadows will not go away until the game is finished.
Note: The chances of this happening are very low, because of predicting when a Lightning Reed zaps a zombie and a Spring Bean bounces back a zombie. If attempting to do this, you likely won't get it on your first try.
- Start Pirate Seas - Day 19.
- Choose Lightning Reed and Spring Bean.
- Plant the Spring Bean near water.
- Zap a zombie while it is on the Spring Bean. The Spring Bean will bounce the zapped zombie to the water, but for some reason, the zombie will not get into the water. Instead, it leaves a boneless black shadow.
Dialogue Reset Glitch
Occasionally, if playing on a mobile device, accidentally quitting the game mid-level or if the Zen Garden Sunflower tutorial is triggered it will reset initial level dialogue if a level has it.
- This specific glitch depends on the device used as well as what causes the accidental shut down. There is no known way to do this intentionally and the chances of this happening are unknown.
- This glitch applies only until the level has been completed for the first time, and multiple occurrences to the same level are rare.
- This only partially applies to endless zones. So long as you press quit, Crazy Dave's dialogue will always reset until you start playing for the first time.
Losing the boost
There is a glitch where Plant Food Boosts can be lost.
- This glitch occurs in the same way as the Dialogue Reset glitch. An accidental shutdown of the game will reset the level, deleting selected boosts in the process.
- This will occur to any level, seeds or conveyor, new or previously completed, main, endless or Pinata Party.
- As mentioned on Dark Ages - Night 20, Big Wave Beach - Day 32, and the Sharktronic Sub battle on Modern Day - Day 33, this does not apply to the Magnet-shroom or Lily Pad while fighting the Zombot Dark Dragon or the Zombot Sharktronic Sub. The Magnet-shroom is permanently boosted to the Dark Ages - Night 20 level, so this glitch will not affect a boosted Magnet-shroom in the Zen Garden. The Lily Pad is always boosted in the Zombot Sharktronic Sub fight, so the glitch will not affect a boosted Lily Pad in the Zen Garden.
Not in Almanac Glitch
(Note: This glitch was found on a Wi-Fi device. It is unknown if this occurs on 3G/4G devices.)
There is an occasional glitch in the Almanac where previously-encountered zombies are removed. Here's how it happens:
- Encounter new zombies while the device is offline.
- Enable Wi-Fi and re-enter the game. Zombies encountered offline are no longer there.
This glitch may not apply to all devices, but if it does occur, it can be fixed. You must be online to resolve the issue.
- If it's one or more of the Zombots, you will need to re-defeat the missing Zombot(s).
- If it's any other zombie, simply play any level after their initial encounter. This applies to multiple zombies at once, even to those not in the level chosen.
- Occasionally, a Pinata Party or Endless Zone can resolve the issue as well.
This glitch used to be more severe with the Zombot Dark Dragon. It will be removed every time the app is closed, even if completed while online, but this is now patched.
No Achievement Glitch
This one is very similar to "Not In Almanac" glitch, and also must be done on wi-fi devices. It was tested only on Android.
To obtain this, basically do the same thing as above but with an achievement for beating a level. You won't get the achievement until redone for Gargantuar levels. To obtain those like "Nut Un-Common", beat the level before the one needed to be beaten. Also, another account may solve the problem.
Multiple plantings Glitch
Note: This glitch was found in the Android version of the game. It may not work on other devices.
This glitch can be performed if the device has extreme lag or if the player is using a mouse that double clicks automatically. This glitch occurs in any level. The player will select any plant they choose to plant. While the lag is still persistent, try to place the plant in another location. Repeat if necessary. Due to the lag, the game takes time to process the code in which the player is able to plant multiple plants of the same type without waiting for the recharge time (on regular levels) or wait for a new seed packet to arrive (conveyor belt). Do note that this glitch will spend sun if it is not in a conveyor belt level, the amount of sun spent will be the sun cost of the plant times how many duplicates of the plants you have planted. This glitch can be useful in high level in Terror From Tomorrow like 130 and up, which can have extreme lag which is a situation in which where this glitch can take place. If this glitch is attempted in Bulb Bowling, it crashes the game.
- Power Lily
- Cherry Bomb
- Tile Turnip
- Other plants with an instant kill ability
- Any plants with a plant boosted seed packet (The deadly ones like Laser Bean, etc.)
Mower Launch saves your Lawnmower Glitch
This must be done on an Endless Zone. Make a lawnmower go away manually by tapping and holding. You can see that the lawnmower is present in the next level.
You need the Mower Launch upgrade to do this glitch, and it may not work all the time.
Multiple Plant Food Glitch
Note: This glitch was found in the Android version of the game. It may not work on other devices.
This glitch works similarly to the Multiple Plantings glitch. Whenever the lag starts and persists, select the Plant Food (if one is available). Try to give it on as many plants as possible. When the lag subsides, the plants that have contact with the plant food will begin to take effect. Do note that this glitch will spend plant food if you have more than 1 plant food and can be used more than the amount of the actual plant food you have. This is more useful if you only have one plant food. This glitch can be useful in conjunction with plants planted on Power Tiles.Tomb Raiser Zombie creates a grave on the space the Squash was on, the Squash will land on the grave.
Change zombies with the Zen Garden
Note: It only works on Endless Zones.
- Go to any Endless Zone.
- Enter the Zen Garden.
- Exit it.
- And now the zombies will be changed.
This can be used to get your high score!
Bernie the Bee Glitch
There is also a glitch where Bernie the Bee sleeps between the third and fourth Zen Garden pots or over the pipe or sometimes it sleeps inverted or backwards.
Tile Turnip duplication Glitch
This is a glitch where Tile Turnips, while spinning in the ground, can be planted on with another Tile Turnip, even while spinning. This can only be done on Last Stand.
- On a Last Stand level, plant a Tile Turnip.
- Then quickly, plant another Tile Turnip on the same space (using Plant Food or an Imitater to avoid the cooldown) before the first Tile Turnip turns into a power tile.
- You can see that you planted two at the same spot, but it will take 250 sun off you.
- This can also happen if you plant an Imitater Tile Turnip and then a normal one.
Squash on Spikeweed/Spikerock Glitch
Note: This only works on Kongfu World Day 9, 15 and Last Stand levels.
- Place a Spikeweed/Spikerock at the second-most front lane.
- When the black hole arrives, place a Squash in front of the Spikeweed.
- Now the Squash is on the Spikeweed/Spikerock.
Plants on Rail Glitch
- Go to a level on Kung-Fu World with minecarts and Qigong Zombies at the same time.
- Plant any plant on a minecart (and make sure that Qigong Zombie is in the same lane)
- When a Qigong Zombie starts to pull plants, quickly move the minecart with the plants.
- You can see that the plants did not follow the minecart, but is pulled by Qigong Zombie and is on a rail.
- But, if you move a minecart on the plant on the rail, the plant will be back on the minecart.
Note: This also works in the Blade-Wielding Hero battle (Kung-Fu World - Day 30) but wait for it to raise its sword and strike the lawn, causing a shockwave to topple down two plants pushing the front plant two squares away.
Grave Buster busting nothing Glitch
- Plant a Grave Buster on a grave.
- Destroy the grave quickly (such as planting an instant kill near the grave, or using Plant Food on an offensive plant near the grave).
- Your Grave Buster is now busting nothing!
This is not really a glitch, but nothing was programmed into the game when the grave was destroyed but the Grave Buster still sounds like it is removing the grave.
Backwards Prospector Zombie with dynamite Glitch
This is how to get your Prospector Zombie to be backwards and still have its dynamite!
- Let a Prospector Zombie detonate its dynamite.
- Use an ice plant on it as it detonates.
- Its dynamite will be extinguished on its belt while it is backwards.
Spawned cropped zombies Glitch
Ignoring the brains Glitch
To do this glitch you have to have in the level:
- A Zombie Bull;
- Only one plant on at least one row in the back tiles.
- At least one lawn mower missing on said row.
When the Zombie Bull launches its rider over the one plant, the Zombie Bull Rider will fly onto the house's property. Once it gets up, the "The Zombies Ate Your Brains!" screen will appear, but the imp will just walk off of the screen instead of doing its eating animation.
Killed zombies eating brains Glitch
If a zombie gets to the player's house, but gets killed in the process, the player will still lose the level, despite the zombie that ate his or her brain dying as well.
Pushed back Zombie eating brains
If you plant a Hurrikale at the split second the screen goes black on a zombie that managed to get to the player's house and is chewing, it will be pushed back but still eat the player's brains.
Do not plant here Glitch
- Go to any level with Pirate Captain Zombie.
- Wait until its parrot steals a plant.
- Dig it up while the parrot is flying away.
- Now you will not be able to plant in the tile in where the plant was before.
Iceberg Lettuce freezes nothing Glitch
- Wait for a zombie to be in the tile where a grave/tombstone is and make the zombie almost pass the grave/tombstone.
- Plant an Iceberg Lettuce on the title in front of the grave/tombstone.
- The Iceberg Lettuce will try to freeze the zombie, but instead it will disappear.
The Iceberg Lettuce will also disappear when a zombie dies right before the plant tries to freeze it.
Stolen Tile Turnip Glitch
(As of 2.7.1, it can still be planted. But when stolen its sun cost decreases.) Note: This glitch was only tested on an iOS device.
- Go to any level with a Pirate Captain Zombie.
- Wait until its parrot tries to steal a plant.
- Once the parrot is about to steal the plant, plant a Tile Turnip on the tile where the parrot is.
- The parrot will steal the Tile Turnip.
It will get glitched and it won't recharge or can't be placed.
The Yeti lost its lunchbox Glitch
Note: This glitch occurred in the International version.
Double treasure drop
There is a glitch where you can kill the Treasure Yeti twice in one level, without the Treasure Yeti appearing twice.
- A boosted Citron
- A Last Stand level with a Treasure Yeti on it.
- Pick the boosted Citron in the last stand level, and then other plants that can fill the other slots.
- Plant the boosted Citron on the lane or nearest place where the Yeti is.
- The zombies and the Yeti will get flung away with the plasma, so then the Treasure Yeti drops the lunchbox!
- Play the level again and kill the Treasure Yeti again, Treasure Yeti drops another lunchbox!
Dark Ages Tombstones spawn at the extreme right Glitch
There is a glitch in Dark Ages where gravestones spawn at the right end of the device's screen. The frequency of this glitch is unknown.
This must be done on Pirate Seas.
- Let a Zombie Parrot steal a plant.
- Plant a Blover when it is flying up.
- The Parrot will leave the plant on the screen.
- After sometime, the plant flies up by itself.
I won't give your reward Glitch
The frequency of this glitch is very rare. It is done on both Android and iOS devices.
Sometimes when playing normal levels, the game doesn't give the player the plant as the reward, so the player cannot get the plant.
Switch minecart plants
- Have the Blade-Wielding Hero move a plant to the minecart tracks.
- Drag the minecarts down.
- If done correctly, there will be two plants on the minecart.
- Drag the minecart back to the original place and the plants have swapped.
Power Lily and Wizard Zombie Glitch
This requires crucial timing. When a Wizard Zombie turns a Power Lily into a sheep, The Power Lily will give a plant food and become a sheep. When the Wizard Zombie is killed, the Power Lily will turn back and give another Plant Food.
Flying Imp ate your brains Glitch
Invincible Imp Glitch
There is a glitch when a Zombie Bull is killed first after launching Zombie Bull Rider, sometimes the Zombie Bull Rider becomes invincible and will not get damaged while eating a Tall-nut. It can be fixed by digging up the Tall-nut or just by waiting for it to be eaten.
Airborne Imp Glitch
This happens when an Imp is launched and gets buttered.
- Have a Kernel-pult in a lane with a Gargantuar, Zombie Bull, or Imp Cannon.
- When the Imp is thrown, the Kernel-pult launches butter on the Imp and the Imp will stay in midair, with no butter on its head.
Sheep on Tombstone Glitch
This glitch happens when a Grave Buster turns into a sheep while it is removing a grave. This is how to carry it out.
- Choose a level where Grave Buster and Wizard Zombie can meet, such as Dark Ages - Night 13.
- Try to make sure there are no other plants on the lawn.
- When the Wizard Zombie appears, plant the Grave Buster on one of the graves.
- The Wizard Zombie will turn the Grave Buster into a sheep and it will be on the grave. It's possible that this could be intentional.
Hitting a zombie behind in the selection Glitch
This can be done on Wild West - Day 4.
- Open Wild West - Day 4.
- Plant the first Peashooter at whatever lane the zombie is in.
- When the zombie falls down, the Peashooter will shoot 1 to 2 extra peas. One pea will pass the dead body completely.
- When the pea is still going forward, the zombies in the next wave will show.
- The pea will hit a zombie in the selection!
Fainted buttered zombie Glitch
This can be done on any level where Chili Bean and Kernel-pult are chosen.
- Plant a Chili Bean near a zombie.
- If timed correctly, a Kernel-pult could butter the zombie while it is eating it or right after it just ate it.
- Sometimes after the butter wears off, the zombie will stay alive and continue to move on instead of fainting and dying.
Prospector Zombie loses head Glitch
If you kill a Prospector Zombie right as the dynamite blows up, when the zombie lands, its head will pop off.
- It's just a visual glitch. Right before the Prospector Zombie jumps, and you kill it, it shows the animation after it lands and its head falls of backward and dies.
Background swap Glitch
This background glitch can occur rarely, but can happen by exiting levels and such. Backgrounds show the night background (which is supposed to be in Dark Ages and Neon Mixtape Tour), and the day one in Dark Ages (which is supposed to be in other worlds). This glitch can also occur if the player switches to worlds with a night background (Dark Ages and Neon Mixtape Tour) and switches back to any other worlds fast enough. The frequency of this glitch is unknown.
Zombot Plank Walker and Spikeweed
Dr. Zomboss will spawn zombies right in front of your house. This was tested on Android and iPod Touch devices.
- Start Pirate Seas - Day 25.
- Place a Spikeweed in front or near your house.
- Wait until Dr. Zomboss is on the same lane as the Spikeweed.
- Place Plant Food on that Spikeweed.
- Dr. Zomboss will stay there and spawn zombies!
Note: The frequency of this glitch is ALWAYS (rare on iPhone and iPad versions), so it's not recommended to test it when you want to beat the level.
Flying Imp Cannon glitch
- Go to Dead Man's Booty. (Or a Pirate Seas level that features it.)
- When you hear an Imp Cannon, save and quit.
- Go back to the level.
- The Imp Cannon will fly up in the air and eat your brains. However, this may not always happen. Only occurs in Piñata Party.
Floating Imp Head Glitch
Note: This is in the Chinese version only, and it only appears in the Android version.
- Go to any Wild West level (Or any daily event challenge with the Wild West).
- Make sure the Zombie Bull Rider has been flung.
- A few seconds later, the Zombie Bull Rider's head will be on the Zombie Bull and will be on the lawn!
Small laser Glitch
- Go onto any level of far future with a Gargantuar Prime.
- Choose Iceberg Lettuce as one of your plants.
- When the Gargantuar Prime shoots its laser, immediately plant the Iceberg Lettuce on it.
- Only half of the laser is sticking out from the Gargantuar Prime.
Double boost Glitch
- Plant any Sprout
- After bring the boost, play any level and do not finish it.
- Save and exit the level.
- Plant the exact plant which is used.
- Wait until you get the boost for it.
- Now you have double boost for that plant.
Plant Background not being loaded Glitch
Note: The rarity of this glitch is unknown.
Sometimes, in the seed selection screen, the background of the plants (for example, Peashooter uses the Player's House background and the Winter Melon uses the Wild West background) will become a pink square with a big black X under the plant, meaning the texture was not loaded it also happens when the device screen is turned on and off while the game is loading.
Hidden sprout Glitch
- Go to any level.
- When a huge wave of zombies appear, use a Power Toss.
- Kill every zombie on the lawn.
- Sometimes, a sprout will drop from a zombie.
- The sprout has a chance of being hidden on the right side of the screen.
- The only way to get the sprout is to finish the level.
It also works without Power Toss, but kill them quickly before they reach a tile.
Floating Skeleton Glitch
- Spring Bean or Power Toss
- Lightning Reed or Power Zap
NOTE: Power Zap and Power Toss won't work together
On any level with water in the Pirate Seas, bounce a zombie into the water. A split second before this, a zombie has to be zapped. If done correctly, a floating sprite of the zapped zombie will appear where the zombie would've landed.
Unplantable space glitch
- This glitch was done on Dark Ages - Night 16. It is unknown if it works on other levels.
This extremely dangerous glitch occurs when a Wizard Zombie transforms a plant into a sheep. If the Wizard is killed, and a zombie eats the plant right when it's been transformed back, (or the player digs it up) you won't be able to plant on the space the plant was on. This is likely caused by the game not having enough time to register that a sheep is no longer on the space. This glitch can be fixed by killing any other Wizards on screen.
- Plant two Tile Turnips on the same spot
- Do the same as before.
- The cost will go from 1000 to 500.
- You can do this as many times as you want and it will always halve.
Death Screen Glitch
Occasionally, after the zombies eat your brain and you press the "Retry" button, the death screen (including the brain, the "Exit to map" button, the "Retry" button and the Zen Garden button) will remain, once you restart the level.
Zombie sounds while viewing world map
When using the "Save and Exit" button to go to the world map, rarely, zombie growls can be heard.
Imp noises when paused
- Play a Level with Imps in it.
- Pause the game when there is an Imp on the lawn, or if there is an Imp in Last Stand before the onslaught.
- Exit the level and go back.
- When you return, do not resume.
- If you listen closely, the Imps will make noises, but this only lasts for a short while.
So how did I die?
To do this you have to kill a zombie just before it enters your house. The result will be an empty death screen. In addition, the munching sound projected by the zombies will not play.
Disjointed Surfer arm
There is a glitch that if you plant a Kernel-pult in front of a Surfer Zombie and it butters it at the right timing, the Surfer Zombie's elbow seems to have split. It is wrong coding of the wrong animation of the wrong sprite.
Fainted Jetpack Zombie
This works in both versions (Chinese and international).
- Choose a level with Jetpack Zombies.
- Plant an Infi-nut and put Plant Food on it.
- Let the Jetpack Zombies eat the Force Field and wait for some more zombies to help eat the force field.
- While they eat it put a Chili Bean on a Jetpack Zombie's place.
- When they eat it, the Jetpack Zombie will eat the Chili Bean and it will faint.
Imp Outside The Lawn
- Put Plant Food on Spring Bean when Gargantuar reach 9th column on upmost or downmost lane in Pirate Seas.
- Gargantuar will land on the zombie ship. Use Cherry Bomb or Grapeshot on him before it falls into water.
- It will fire an Imp onto 3rd column. The Imp will walk forward normally causing troubles to player.
Frozen Plant Glitch
Here's how it works:
- Go to a level with Octo Zombie.
- Quickly right before its octopus lands on a plant, feed it Plant Food.
- Your plant food will be spent, but not take effect because the octopus is preventing it.
- When the octopus is defeated, the plant's Plant Food ability will take effect.
- After it is done, the plant's animation will freeze and do nothing. It cannot be defeated, because it is still in its Plant Food state and is invincible. It is unknown how the glitch can be fixed.
This was tested on the January 17, 2015 Pinata Party with the Pea Pod.
Piñata Party crash Glitch
When playing a certain Piñata Party, there is a chance that the game crashes upon placing a plant. Once reopening the app, it will say that you have lost the Piñata Party and have to pay to play again from the beginning.
This glitch occurs when a Chard Guard is frozen either by the frosty wind affect, the Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 BC ice trunk attack, and the Hunter Zombie's snowballs. When a Chard Guard repels any zombie, but then gets frozen, you will see a frozen Chard Guard and one of its leaves out of the ice block. The leaf, however, doesn't move.
Frozen Laser Bean Glitch
- If a Laser Bean gets frozen in Frostbite Caves while shooting, its laser will also be frozen. This laser will not do any damage; this only happens because the laser is technically part of the plant, not a projectile. After being unfrozen, it will continue to shoot and deal damage as normal.
Frozen Yeti Imp Glitch
- Occasionally, in Icebound Battleground and other levels with Troglobites, the level will not end even when all the zombies are dead. This is because there are frozen Yeti Imps not on the lawn that have not been pushed by the Troglobite because the Troglobite has been killed, or because there was an ice floe in the way. Since the frozen Yeti Imps are not technically on the lawn, they can not die at the end of the level like normal frozen zombies and can not be attacked by plants because plants can not attack zombies that are not on the lawn. This causes the level to never end.
On the Tombstone Glitch
Use a boosted Bonk Choy in any level that has Tomb Raiser Zombie. If you're lucky when placing Bonk Choy, the Tomb Raiser Zombie will create a tombstone at that Bonk Choy when it is using its boost animation. This also works with the Repeater.
Banana Launcher glitch
- Drag the Banana Launcher to aim.
- Wait until the Banana Launcher is frozen.
- Then release your finger. The banana should fall from sky, but Banana Launcher will not play its animation (because it's frozen). The banana won't do anything.
- Unfreeze the Banana Launcher. It will play it's shooting animation, and stop with a green body and smiling face. However, it will never give new bananas to shoot. You can fix it by giving Plant Food to the Banana Launcher.
Zen Garden Growing Period Glitch
Sometimes, the time for waiting for plants to grow is insanely long.
- This may be caused by changing the date.
Zapped Chicken on Potato Mine Glitch
To do this glitch, you must be on any level with Zombie Chickens and Potato Mines together. When a Zombie Chicken reaches a Potato Mine and then it gets zapped by a Lightning Reed or Power Zap, the Potato Mine will explode and will kill nothing if there are no nearby zombies on its path.
This glitch must have 3 criteria in order to occur:
- You must be playing a Pirate Seas level with Seagull Zombies.
- The said zombies must be the bottom lane above water.
- The Blover is one of your chosen plants.
When you kill those zombies with the Blover, occasionally, there will be double the amount of seagulls flying off than there were zombies killed.
This glitch does not seem to occur in any other lane, even if you're killing them in multiple lanes at once. Also, it tends not to occur above 3 zombies, which result is 6 in total.
Far Future Day 17
This glitch requires going into Far Future Day 17 for the first time. Go through the dialogue, then a Magnifying Grass will appear. Fire all 100 sun to defeat the Conehead. Then, the glitch will occur. Even if you have a sun upgrade, (it is going to be at least 50 sun for everybody) the sun bank will say "0."
The Lone Shield
This glitch requires Explorer Zombies or Excavator Zombies. Plant an Infi-nut in front of them, then use Plant Food on the Infi-nut quickly, otherwise this glitch won't work. The shield will appear, then the Explorer will burn the Infi-nut or the Excavator will dig the Infi-nut, but the shield will remain.
Catching Moby Dick
Plant a Citron behind a plant. If a Fisherman Zombie catches the plant in front of the Citron, use Citron's plant food before it reels the plant. The hook will stay on the plant.
Sometimes when exiting an endless zone or a premium plant quest, you may get stuck at the marigold loading screen, or during there, the marigold appears but disappears quickly. Nothing will happen forcing you to kill the game and relaunch it.
If one has parental approval turned on and purchases a plant in the shop, a request will be sent to the parent. If the parent deletes all notifications from that day, the request disappears, leaving you with an ever-lasting gray pending sign in place of the price. The only way to fix this is to wait for a new update.
This glitch only works on any iOS platform.
Camel Zombie Second Head Glitch
- The zombie's head and arm pop out after dying and the ceramic sign breaks.
- But at the same time the ceramic sign breaks, it appears that the zombie has a second head. Zombie stands for a few seconds.
- After a few seconds, the second head disappears without popping out and the zombie dies as usual.
This glitch is apparent in Ancient Egypt - Day 18.
In the 4.8.1 update, go to any Wild West level that features Chicken Wrangler Zombies and at the seed selection screen, focus on the zombie standing among the others. At every three seconds or so, both its Zombie Chickens and its bailing wire will continuously disappear and reappear altogether. This also occurs in its Almanac entry.
When you kill the last zombie with Grimrose and then dig up the Grimrose just before the zombie gets killed, the level will never end, forcing you to restart the level. This can occur in any level where you can plant a Grimrose.
Uprooted King Zombie
During one of the Lawn of the Dead Piñata Parties, you can encounter Zombie King, Thyme Warp and Spikeweed. After a Zombie King is on the field, use the Thyme Warp to reset all zombies back to the start of the lawn. Proceeding this, use Plant Food on Spikeweed in the lane of the Zombie King, and it should be dragged out of its fixed position.
Enter a Lawn of the Dead Piñata Party, use Witch Hazel to transform a zombie becomes Toadstool. Save and exit it, and continue playing, you'll see the Toadstool hiding behind a black square.
The Early Ending
If a Bonk Choy is about to destroy a gravestone, and a zombie walk on its range, Bonk Choy will punch just like defeating a zombie even its damage won't change.
No Level MusicIf you tap a specific area near the pause and turbo buttons, It will open the shop. This may be because in the world map, the shop button is located there, and only its sprite is removed when a level is entered. when the shop is exited from, no music will play in the level. Only the ambient sounds, zombie sounds and wave music (when a huge wave attacks) will remain.
List of fixed glitches
- Giving a Twin Sunflower Plant Food after exiting and entering a level gave 600 sun instead of 250 before the 2.7 update.
- Exiting and entering a level could also make Spikerocks have an extremely high amount of health, though it could degrade and die normally eventually. This was also fixed in the 2.7 update.
- In Endless Zones, the fourth card could be obtained for free by selecting a revealed card and then selecting the fourth card and then accepting the same revealed card, but it gave the player the fourth card. This was also fixed in the 2.7 update.
- The cropped spawned zombies glitch above previously affected zombies coming out of Dark Ages tombstones.
- Entering the Zen Garden in an Endless Zone could previously give all possible plants, such as Grave Busters and E.M.Peaches, even if they would be absolutely useless in that world.
- There was a glitch where the Blover's recharge speed was much longer than intended.
- Plant Food was unable to refresh a seed packet in the 2.7 update.
- In the 3.0 update, Banana Launcher could be used when a level is complete or in the choose your seeds screen for Big Wave Beach - Day 23.
- In the 3.0 update, Banana Launcher could be used when it gets sucked in by the Zombot Sharktonic Sub.
- In the 3.4 update, Fume-shroom could attack in a 1x5 area instead of 1x4 and deal splash damage in the lanes above and below. Its Plant Food ability remained the same.
- In the 3.4 update, zombies' sound effects or the music cannot be heard, although pausing and unpausing the game fixed this.
- Occasionally, when you go to Zen Garden, plant a sprout, then water it, and use Bernie the Bee, then exit and go back, you will find the time after the first growth to incredibly long, like 1,926,378 hours, same goes when you change the time of your device. Although, changing the device time to a long time in the future, going back to the game, then reverting the time back to normal will fix this.
- Prior to the Neon Mixtape Tour Side A update, there was a strange glitch of the inability of ice floes to redirect zombies to other lanes in Frostbite Caves.
- Prior to the Neon Mixtape Tour Side A update, playing a Piñata Party with an objective, player can see that the level is called "Day 0". It's because the game programmers didn't code the game to use level name for Piñata Parties.
- Using Plant Food on Lily Pads could give you infinite sun, this glitch was fixed in the Neon Mixtape Tour Side B update.
- In the 3.9 version, when Punk Zombie is warped back by a Thyme Warp and had Magnet-shroom steal its head, it will appear as a headless Punk Zombie and will continue to walk when warped back to the 9th column. this was fixed in 4.0.1 version.
- A surfboard in the 3.9.1 version only absorb 2 normal damage before being destroyed. This fixed in 4.0.1 version.
- Before version 4.1.1. the Almanac's Entry of Neon Flag Zombie showed instead a basic Neon Zombie.
- When there's a zombie with Plant Food, and you use Thyme Warp at that time, you won't get Plant Food if you kill that warped zombie. This glitch was fixed in 4.1.
- The seed packets/conveyor belt were shifted down in the iPhone version. This glitch was also fixed in 4.1.
- Previously, Primal Sunflower could be planted in every Last Stand level except for Jurassic Marsh. This was fixed on the release of Modern Day Part 1.
- Before version 4.6, when a Spikerock was stepped on by a zombie, its costume would disappear.
- Until 4.7.1 version, Shadow-shrooms remained powered-up in Last Stands without Moonflower.
- On update 4.6, the Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 B.C did not spawn zombies, causing no difficulty to the player. This is also was the same on Modern Day - Day 34 if the player gets the Zombot Tuskmaster 10,000 B.C.
- On update 4.6, you could lose Dandelion, and you had to pay 109 gems to get it back. Sometimes, you can get away from this glitch by turning the device's Wi-Fi off, then turn it back on, though it does not work all the time. If it doesn't work, kill and relaunch the game when online.
- You can also lose Gold Bloom if you unlocked it in update 4.6, but if this occurs, you cannot get it back without hacking.
- On version 5.4.1, sometimes, the projectile's visual splash didn't disappear after they hitted a zombies such as peas in this case. Instead, it remained at the point of contact. This has been discovered in Heroes Pinata Party.
- In version 5.6.1, a graphical glitch involving the cabbages thrown by Cabbage-pult looked bigger, looking similar to the big cabbages it lobs out in its Plant Food effect. The cabbages, however, still dealt normal damage.
- In version 5.5, the projectiles from Winter Melons did not rotate when being hurled at zombies.
- After the 2015 Lawn of Doom Event Update but before the 2015 Feastive Update, all of the planks in the Pirate Seas disappeared and was replaced by a double x. Zombies could still walk on the invisible planks while you could still plant some plants (Cherry Bomb, Spikeweed, etc.).
- The RNG (random number generator) for the Zombot that Dr. Zomboss would use in Modern Day does not work on the 5.0 update, meaning that the Sphinx-inator is always spawned in Day 32, Tomorrow-tron in Day 33, and Tuskmaster in Day 34. This only happens once the update is installed; if the game is rebooted, the RNG will work.
- Before version 1.8.0 in the Chinese Version, it was possible for Swashbuckler Zombie to land on the tile with the flowers and a defensive plant on it and fail the objective.
- Before version 1.8.0 in the Chinese Version, there was a glitch related to integer overflow where if the Magnifying Grass icon appeared above Far Future - Day 7, selecting that level would crash the game.
- Before the update that changed the level indicator of a leveled up zombie in Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version), there was a visual glitch where the electricity that surrounded the zombie did not go away at times.
- Before ??? version, the Deep Sea Gargantuar used the sun sprite instead of the gargantuar burnt animation if it was defeated using anything that burnt or electrocuted it.
- Before version ???, the travel log quest was glitched where certain quests were automatically cleared for you. Points and rewards earned this way was kept by the player.
- Before version 1.8.0 of the Chinese Version, killing a Swashbuckler Zombie using a Coconut Cannon while it was near the lawn would have failed the "Don't let the zombies trample the flowers" objective.
- In version 2.7 of the international version, it was possible to view all the plant's almanac even if the player did not unlock that plant's world yet. There was also some placeholder slots for plants that had coding in the game but were not released yet.
- Before the 1.9.0 version in the Chinese version, it was possible to earn puzzle pieces from the Gunpowder Devil and the Zombot Sphinx-inator of the lightning boss rush if you selected the Gunpowder Devil stage but quit it and proceeded to the lightning boss rush instead. This was due to the game thinking that the you were still doing the daily challenge even though clearly you were not. The reason why the Zombot Plank Walker never gave puzzle pieces was due to the fact that it has never been a boss in the daily challenge. The puzzle pieces earned would not count however if the daily challenge was done first.
- Before version ???, quitting a level while playing it and then restarting the app would cause the Marigold that appears in the loading screen to animate wrongly.