It was first seen in a Twitter message by EA. It was scrapped from the first game, but it later appears in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 as Rock Pea.
Peashooter's and Sunflower's Rooted abilities
In the first trailer, the rooted abilities of Peashooter and Sunflower looked different from after the game's release as there was no dirt surrounding their roots.
The Zombot was seen in an E3 2013 Demo of Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. Its model was never used in the final game, and is likely an unused boss. It does, with a slightly different visual appearance, appear in the Z-Tech Factory and Zombopolis in Garden Warfare 2, as the Ultra-Zombot 6000.
Design a Peashooter contest
These are the top 5 designs that PopCap was deciding to choose between when the Design a Peashooter contest was going on, Out of these, the Plasma Pea became the winner and was added to the game.
Bosses in Gardens & Graveyards
In one of the trailers, a Gargantuar is seen running to crush plants on Driftwood Shores. This might have been a mistake, or it was scrapped. There is also a Yeti Zombie seen near the tree garden on Main Street.
The Laser Goat is an unfinished character that is only obtainable through hacking. It is on both the plants and the zombies' side. It has green armor if it's on the plants' side, and dark purple armor if it's on the zombies' side. It can jump high and even has a double jump like the Imp. You can actually see this character in-game currently, but only when someone hacks it in. Only one player, Lop0l0v3r (a player who is famously known for hacking Garden Warfare), has ever been known to have hacked it in. Therefore, it is extremely rare to see. Its primary weapon currently has an unfinished name, reading "ID_CUS_H_WEAPON_LASERGOAT_PRIMARY" when vanquished by it. Its icon, sounds, and projectiles are the same as Hover Goat-3000's, possibly meaning that it could be an unfinished variant or just that PopCap forgot to remove the beta version in the code.
- Damage Buff Booster Beam
- Healing Gearshifter -An ability that heals teammates nearby
- Mech-Assault -An ability that tosses a grenade that explodes and deals 10 damage
The Bling Chomper was one of the original Chomper variant concepts, but it was scrapped for being too underpowered. No more details were shared about it, so it is unknown why it was considered weak. The Disco Chomper from Garden Warfare 2 is vaguely similar to it.
Differences from Garden Warfare (early) to Garden Warfare (currently)
There are many differences from the old version of Garden Warfare to the current Garden Warfare, such as:
- The ammo count on the bottom right of the screen were black, along with the plant and zombie projectiles being shown.
- The animation for the playable plants were different.
- Scaredy-Shroom and Disco Zombie were originally supposed to be playable characters, but the idea was scrapped. Instead, Scaredy-Shroom became a Spawnable Plant, While Disco Zombie became a zombie boss.
- There were different sounds and audios from the plants and zombies, like Peashooter's voice being high-pitched.
- The crosshairs for the plants were different.
- In Garden Ops, they had a "life system". Supposely, it can be assumed that the plants instantly revive themselves when they go down, at the cost of one life.
- The health icon was a plus instead of a heart.
- In E3 2013 gameplay, a Zombot appeared in the end and crushed the Cactus. Afterwards, it never appeared, suggesting that it was originally an unused boss.
- You could only plant four Spawnable Plants, those being Peashooter, Gatling Pea, Bonk Choy and Scaredy-Shroom.
- In Garden Ops, the wave counter was bigger, more darker and had more zombies.
- Crazy Dave appeared on the screen instead on the top center. His animations and design are borrowed from Plants Vs Zombies, only sped up. However, his audio are borrowed from Plants Vs Zombies 2.
- The Chili Bean Bomb had a sombrero that looks exactly like the Sombrero Bean Bomb. The bean also had a much more higher pitched voice and took longer to explode.
- Hyper's icon showed a Repeater at full speed. The Repeater's look is from PVZ2.
- Him eating a zombie was shortened.