For other uses, see plants.
Plants are living organisms that belong to the Plantae kingdom. They obtain most of their energy from sunlight in a process called photosynthesis. However, not all plants absorb energy via photosynthesis. They are the main protagonists of Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time and the player's main defense against the undead assailants.
A total of 22 plants return from the first game, five of which are now premium plants that must first be bought from the in-game store with real money before they can be used. The majority of losses from the first game are due to environmental differences between the levels of the two games. For example, there are no nighttime or pool levels in Plants vs. Zombies 2: it's About Time, so no mushrooms or water plants are present. Additionally, ten new plants were added, one of which is another premium plant, bringing the grand total up to 32.
In the months following the game's release, PopCap intends to add more worlds to the game via updates, and these worlds will bring with them more plants. The following list is therefore open to expansion.
Additionally, a few of the plants not returning from the first game instead appear in cameo roles.
List of plants
|Plant||Image||Description||Unlocked||Plant Food Ability||Sun Cost||
|Peashooter||Peashooters are your first line of defense. They shoot peas at attacking zombies.||Available at the beginning of the game||Turns them into faster-shooting Gatling Peas shooting 60 peas for three seconds.||100 sun||Fast|
|Sunflower||Sunflowers are essential for you to produce extra sun. Try planting as many as you can!||After beating Tutorial - Day 1||Produces 150 sun.||50 sun||Fast|
|Wall-nut||Wall-nuts have hard shells which you can use to protect other plants.||After beating Tutorial - Day 2||Gives it a hard armor shell for extra strength.||50 sun||Sluggish|
|Potato Mine||Potato Mines explode on contact, but they take time to arm. Plant them ahead of zombies.||After beating Tutorial - Day 3||Arms itself and produces two armed Potato Mines on other spaces.||25 sun||Sluggish|
|Cabbage-pult||Cabbage-pults hurl cabbages at the enemy.||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 2||Launches several cabbages at once, hitting every zombie onscreen.||100 sun||Fast|
|Bloomerang||Bloomerangs can hit up to three targets in their lane, twice!||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 3||Shoots approximately ten boomerangs up, down, left and right.||175 sun||Fast|
|Grave Buster||Grave Busters consume graves they're planted on.||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 9||N/A||0 sun||Mediocre|
|Iceberg Lettuce||Iceberg Lettuces freeze a zombie when stepped on.||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 5||Freezes every zombie on screen similar to the Ice-shroom from Plants vs. Zombies.||0 sun||Sluggish|
|Twin Sunflower||Twin Sunflowers give twice as much sun as a normal sunflower.||After beating Ancient Egypt||Gives 250 sun.||125 sun||Mediocre|
|Bonk Choy||Bonk Choys rapidly punch nearby enemies that are ahead or behind them.||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 13||Punches zombies in every direction at a high rate.||150 sun||Fast|
|Repeater||Repeaters fire two peas at one time.||After beating Ancient Egypt - Day 19||Shoots like a Gatling Pea at first, but at the end it shoots a much larger Pea.||200 sun||Fast|
|Kernel-pult||Kernel-pults flings corn kernels and butters at zombies.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 1||Fires butter at every zombie onscreen.||100 sun||Fast|
|Snapdragon||Snapdragons breathe fire that causes damage in 6 adjacent tiles.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 3||Sets a 3x3 area in front of it on fire dealing massive damage.||150 sun||Fast|
|Spikeweed||Spikeweeds destroy one rolling zombie and hurt any zombies that step on them.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 6||Creates temporary spikes throughout the row.||100 sun||Fast|
|Coconut Cannon||Coconut Cannons fire down a single lane, causing a medium explosion on impact.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 11||Fires one big Coconut that pushes all zombies to the rightmost of the screen and then explodes.||400 sun||Fast|
|Spring Bean||Spring Beans bounce back zombies that get too close. Will bounce them into water nearby.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 9||Bounces all zombies around it.||50 sun||Sluggish|
|Cherry Bomb||Cherry Bombs can blow up all zombies in an area. They have a short fuse so plant them near zombies.||After beating Pirate Seas||N/A||150 sun||Slow|
|Spikerock||Spikerocks destroy multiple rolling zombies and damage zombies that walk over it.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 18||Draws all zombies in the row on to it.||250 sun||Fast|
|Threepeater||Threepeater shoot peas in three lanes.||After beating Pirate Seas - Day 14||Shoots a widespread volley of peas in front of it.||300 sun||Fast|
|Split Pea||Split Peas shoot peas forward and backwards.||After beating Wild West - Day 1||Turns to Gatling Pea. forward like Peashooter and backwards like Repeater.||125 sun||Fast|
|Chili Bean||Chili Beans deliver a crippling bout of gastrointestinal distress.||After beating Wild West - Day 4||Launches 3 extra beans randomly.||50 sun||Sluggish|
|Lightning Reed||Lightning Reeds shoot lightning at nearest zombie up to one lane away. The bolt then arcs and hit other zombies.||After beating Wild West - Day 9||Makes a storm cloud that strikes lightning at the zombies.||125 sun||Fast|
|Tall-nut||Tall-nuts are heavy-duty wall plants that block low flying zombies.||After beating Wild West - Day 18||Gives it a hard armor for extra strength like Wall-nut.||125 sun||Sluggish|
|Pea Pod||Pea Pods can be planted in the same space for up to 5 times the destruction.||After beating Wild West - Day 6||Turns into a giant Peashooter that shoots 5 giant peas.||125 sun||Fast|
|Melon-pult||Melon-pults do heavy damage to groups of zombies.||After beating Wild West - Day 12||Launches melons out from the top that does 2x the damage.||325 sun||Fast|
|Winter Melon||Winter Melons do heavy damage and slow groups of zombies.||After beating Wild West||Same as Melon-pult with added slowing effect.||500 sun||Fast|
|Plant||Image||Description||Purchase Cost||Plant Food Ability||Sun Cost||Recharge|
|Squash||Squashes will smash the first zombie that gets close.||$2.99||
Squashes two random zombies.
|Imitater||Imitaters let you use two of the same plant during a level!||$2.99||
As the Imitated Plant.
|Depends on plant to copy||
As the Imitated Plant
|Snow Pea||Snow Peas fire frozen peas making it hard for zombies to advance.||$3.99||Slows down all the zombies infront of it then fires peas rapid.||150 sun||Fast|
|Jalapeno||Jalapenos destroy an entire lane of zombies.||$2.99||N/A||125 sun||Slow|
|Torchwood||Torchwoods turn peas that pass through them into fireballs that deal twice as much damage.||$3.99||The fire peas become blue and peas do three times damage.||175 sun||Fast|
|Power Lily||Power Lillies create one Plant Food out of thin air.||$2.99||N/A||175 sun||Very Slow|
- Marigold - Featured on the game's loading screen and in the shop in the Chinese version. (May appear later)
- Gatling Pea - Using Plant Food on a Peashooter or Repeater temporarily upgrades it into a plant that resembles the Gatling Pea.
- The plants now take four bites before being eaten.
- More plants start with the letter "S" than any other letter, with eight.
- Half of these plants are introduced in the Pirate Seas.
- Most of the original plants' appearances have changed either with small or large changes.
- Sunflower has two leaves on the stem.
- Potato Mine's flashing light is permanently red, and Potato Mine itself has one tooth.
- Cabbage-pult's leaf on its stem is gone and its basket is now like a cabbage.
- Grave Buster is a group of vines now.
- Twin Sunflower has two leaves on each stem.
- Kernel-pult's basket has changed to a green cup-like basket.
- Spikeweed's color is changed from brown to green.
- Cherry Bomb's heads are now equal size, are rounder and has one leaf on their stem.
- Threepeater's heads are now equal size.
- Split Pea's stalk is in between the heads and the head-shape growth is bigger.
- Tall-nut is more rectangular.
- Melon-pult's basket has changed to a hollowed-out melon.
- Winter Melon is completely blue.
- Snow Pea's ice crystals are lessened from 6 to 5.
- Squash is larger.
- Torchwood is shorter and has a larger flame.
- Imitater, instead of a grayish color, is changed to brown, making it more potato-like.
- Twin Sunflower, Winter Melon, and Spikerock are no longer Upgrade Plants.
- Minus the Chomper, all plants from the Day area of Plants vs. Zombies were brought back in this game.
- But inside the game's files, there is data for the Chomper, so in an update the Chomper may be added.
- The only way to use Premium Plants for free is in Piñata Party.