- For other uses, see Plantern (disambiguation).
Plantern is a plant obtained in the Fog area that will illuminate and disperse a large area of fog (7x5), allowing the player to see approaching zombies and their own defense within the cleared radius, like Torchwood. This makes him an environment modifier. They can be planted anywhere, but are only used for their real purpose in the Fog and Vasebreaker levels. Technically, like the Grave Buster, the Plantern is not actually a Night plant, because he is not a mushroom, and therefore, he does not need to be planted in the Mushroom Garden to grow.
He name is a portmanteau of "plant," referring to his leaves and roots and the fact that he is a plant, and "lantern," referencing his light-producing ability and the fact that he is also a lantern. However, he resembles a streetlamp more than an actual lantern.
In Plants vs. Zombies
Planterns light up an area, letting you see through fog.
Range: one lane
Special: lets you see through fog
Plantern defies science. He just does. Other plants eat light and excrete oxygen; Plantern eats darkness and excretes light. Plantern's cagey about how he does it. "I'm not gonna say 'sorcery,' I wouldn't use the term 'dark forces,' I just... I think I've said enough."
In Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
Sun cost: 25
Plantern illuminates an area of the floor grid, Rogue Zombie can also be seen in an invisible state.Plantern defies science. He just does. Other plants eat light and excrete oxygen; Plantern eats darkness and excretes light. Plantern's cagey about how he does it. "I'm not gonna say 'sorcery,' I wouldn't use the term 'dark forces,' I just... I think I've said enough."
Plants vs. Zombies
The only purpose of Plantern is to illuminate areas of Fog in the fog levels and It's Raining Seeds. Plant him within the foggy area on the right side of the screen to reveal the enemy. If Planterns are planted one square into the foggy area in the rows on either side of the Pool, all of the fog will disappear aside from some scraps of it in the corners of the screen.
In Vasebreaker, he is used to reveal what the vases contain within a 3x3 range.
He is a more easy-to-use and a more sun-saving alternative than the Blover. The latter however can be used in a harder but more practical way.
Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese)
Plantern's purpose remains mostly the same, except he can now reveal any invisible Rogue Zombies in an area. The area Plantern lights up is as follows:
L L L L L L P L L L L L L
L: Lighted area
The foggy area he illuminates is roughly the same.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Plantern shines in a 5x5 area for a while.
Plantern stuns all zombies in the area for a while.
Plants vs. Zombies
It is a good idea to put Planterns behind defensive plants such as Wall-nuts or Garlic, or inside a Pumpkin, to prevent them from being eaten if you can. The player should plant only two Planterns in a level, place him near the pool on the fourth row to the right side of the lawn.
The Plantern will reveal the contents of any surrounding vases - up to eight at most. In an emergency, a Plantern may be used as a poor man's blockade to briefly delay zombies while attempting to kill them with other plants. Ideally, he should be placed in the middle of as many vases as possible. Try to break a vase in the middle of a 3x3 square and then plant a Plantern there.
In the mini-game, It's Raining Seeds, there is fog, so use Planterns the same way that you do in the Adventure Mode levels. However, it depends on luck whether the player will receive the seed packet or not.
In Survival: Fog and Survival: Fog (Hard), use Planterns in the usual way. It is recommended that they are planted during the first two flags (before you get to choose new seed packets). Alternatively, for the Survival Mode levels, you can use Blovers instead, which also gets rid of Balloon Zombies and makes room for more plants, although there is the loss of sun every time you use Blover. Torchwood is also a viable replacement for Planterns, as he doubles the firepower of all peashooting plants in addition to clearing fog, but it clears a much smaller area of fog than a Plantern. It is suggested to use a Pumpkin around your Plantern to prevent zombies from eating him easily. Also, Garlic can be placed in front of the Plantern to divert zombies from eating your Plantern easily, while reinforced with Spikerock in front of the Garlic for increased damage.
Only select Planterns when you see fog or the Rogue Zombie in the seed selection in Dark Ages. However, the Plantern will illuminate more squares unlike in the prequel. Try to keep a defensive plant adjacent to him or you will risk 25 Sun wasted. It is best to use Plant Food on your defensive plants so that you will protect your Planterns from being eaten.
Try to be careful of Wizard Zombies as if they turn Plantern into a sheep, the fog will come again and Rogue Zombies will be invisible again. The same thing also applies to Archmage Zombie, except that he is more dangerous since plants will be vulnerable when sleeping and that you need Plant Food or Coffee Bean to wake them up. Sunflower Singer can help his recharge get faster.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Plantern.
- He and Groundcherry are the only plants based on lanterns.
- His leaves and roots are the only parts of him that are found in most plants.
Specific to Plants vs Zombies
- He, Torchwood, and Sea-shroom are the only plants with visible roots.
- Only Plantern, Torchwood, and Blover can make fog disappear.
- He and Torchwood are the only fog-affecting plants which make fog stay away infinitely until they get eaten, crushed, or dug up. Blover clears the fog for a while, but then it comes back.
- His range, rather than being one lane as the Almanac states, is actually a three square radius around him. Due to this, planting him on the far left of the player's defenses will reveal nothing.
- Since he is used in Vasebreaker and there is no fog, his light will illuminate the vases around where he is planted, allowing the player to see what is inside the vases.
- Also, in Vasebreaker, his range is only 3x3, not 5x7.
- Plantern is one of the two non-mushroom plants that have a night background in the Suburban Almanac, with the other one being the Grave Buster.
- If he is planted in Survival: Fog or Survival: Fog (Hard), every time after reselecting plants, fog will appear around the area it covers for about a second, then recede.
- He makes an illuminating sound when he is planted.
- In the iPhone version of Zen Garden, the Plantern casts a light.
- He is one of the plants that is not available in Versus Mode. The others are Lily Pad, Tangle Kelp, Sea-shroom, Blover, Flower Pot, and Marigold.
- On the iPad version of Plants vs. Zombies, he only has one leaf in each corner of the lantern, instead of three. However, the seed packet shows three leaves.
- His Imitater variant has his eyes barely visible.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2 (Chinese version)
- His idle animation in-game changes once the costume is on. However, in the almanac and seed selection screen, the idle animation is the same.
- His code name is "streetlamp." It is referring to Plantern's Chinese name, Street Lamp.
- He illuminates in a different pattern and has a different lighting animation than the first game.
- He, Coffee Bean, Gatling Pea, Cattail, and Cob Cannon are only plants from first game that appear in Chinese version but not appear in international version.