|Special||Crushes plants with his piano and makes Cowboy Zombies change lanes.|
|Absorbs||40 normal damage shots|
|First seen||Wild West - Day 3|
|Pianist Zombie only knows two songs, and they're both groaners.|
Pianist Zombie is the sixth zombie found in Wild West. He rolls over plants, killing most instantly (with a few exceptions such as Spikerock and Wall-nut) and causes all Cowboy Zombies, Conehead Cowboys, and Buckethead Cowboys on the screen to dance and change lanes every few seconds. He instantly dies if he encounters a Spikeweed, Spikerock, Cactus (when in the ground) or Bamboo Shoot.
His rolling piano crushes plants while his music causes dancing zombies to switch lanes.
Damage: crushes plants with piano
Special: causes cowboy zombies to switch lanes
Pianist Zombie only knows two songs, and they're both groaners.
Pianist Zombie absorbs 40 normal damage shots and his appearance changes upon absorbing 20 normal damage shots before dying at 40 normal damage shots. When he enters the lawn, he starts playing music, causing every Cowboy Zombie except the Flag Cowboy Zombie to dance until it dies.
The music is played as follows:
|Pianist Zombie's music|
|Pianist Zombie's Feastivus music|
Big Wave Beach: Piñata Party
Frostbite Caves: Piñata Party
Despite his slow speed, his ability to instantly destroy plants in his way and allow other Cowboy Zombies to swap lanes with its music can cause this zombie to become very problematic. Try to destroy the Pianist Zombie as fast as possible or eliminate as many Cowboy Zombies as you can before they swap lanes on the screen. Otherwise, you will have a hard time if the other zombies shift to eat your plants you have placed (Lightning Reed, Pea Pod, and others). A Pea Pod with five heads will quickly kill him. Banana Launcher, Strawburst's large berry or Missile Toe can destroy it in one shot. Wall-nuts, Tall-nuts, Sweet Potato, or Endurian cannot stop him, as his piano crushes your plants. You can delay a Pianist Zombie with Iceberg Lettuce, Stunion, or butter from Kernel-pult to force the zombies to stop dancing. A good choice to deal with him is to use any instant kill. Bowling Bulbs can eliminate many zombies at a time with each bulb. Planting a Spikeweed or Spikerock on the tile his piano is on will also instantly kill him, since he is a rolling zombie. Long-ranged plants that splash damage or attack multiple zombies such as Coconut Cannon, Melon-pult, Winter Melon, Laser Bean, Fume-shroom or Electric Peashooter may be required to kill a group of them. You could plant a Guacodile on the lane where the Pianist Zombie is so that the zombie who shifted where the plant is will trigger its rush attack, quickly eliminating the Pianist Zombie. Do not use plants such as Cabbage-pult, Citron, Spore-shroom, Blooming Heart, Electric Blueberry, Primal Peashooter or Nightshade because if you do not kill the Pianist Zombie, these plants will have hard time shooting at him as the other Cowboy Zombies continue shifting because of their low fire rate. In addition, they do not splash damage and can only kill one zombie at a time. Bonk Choys, Snapdragons, Puff-shrooms and Phat Beets should also be avoided as their minimal range can cause shifting zombies to eat them up quickly without support from other long-ranged plants. Chompers and Toadstools are also useless as they cannot instantly devour the Pianist Zombie while other zombies will quickly overwhelm them. Avoid using Garlic against the zombies as they are already switching lanes under the Pianist Zombie's music and can shift back automatically over a certain amount of time, rendering its ability useless.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Pianist Zombie.
- In the 2.4.1 update, a phrase in his entry was changed from "summons cowboy zombies who switch lanes" to "causes cowboy zombies to switch lanes."
- This was likely done to prevent confusion, because he does not spawn zombies on his own.
- Even though the projectiles hit the piano, the zombie will still lose its arm and head.
- Before the 1.7 update, there was a glitch that when he appeared, he would not play music and the normal Wild West background music would be gone. When defeated, the Wild West background music came back.
- Whenever at least one is alive and onscreen, his piano song will replace the stage's current music.
- This trait is shared with Disco-tron 3000, but he always plays music until he is defeated while Disco-tron 3000 only plays music when it is first encountered in a level for a while.
- He moves fast first then slow from the 1.0 update to the 1.6 update (similar to Gargantuars), while in the 1.7 update onwards, his animation and speed changes to that of a regular zombie before entering the lawn and then proceeds to his original speed once it plays his music.
- He still rushes into the yard in the Chinese version.
- When it is slowed by either Snow Pea, Winter Melon, or Sap-fling, his animation will slow down, but the music will continue at normal speed. This also happens with other zombies that play music.
- If he comes into contact with any defensive plant, he will take a slightly longer time to kill them. This trait is shared with Barrel Roller Zombie.
- During his first degrade, the player can see the tip jar slide off the piano. It then disappears when he dies.
- Before the 2.1 update, he would squash a Chili Bean, die, and release gas.
- When killed by Lightning Reed, he dies by electrocution just as a normal zombie does, but the piano disappears.
- He is one of the six zombies to get a new Christmas look for the 5 Days of Feastivus, along with Swashbuckler Zombie, Camel Zombies, Poncho Zombie, Gargantuar, and Imp.
- His costume for Feastivus resembles a green Santa Claus.
- He also plays Christmas music when he appeared in the Feastivus event.
- His music was written and performed by Korby Sears, as seen in the game credits.
- He is referred to as "Piano Zombie" in the credits and in the Travel Log.
- He, Dancing Zombie, Disco-tron 3000, Announcer Imp, Jack-in-the-Box Zombie, and Boombox Zombie are the only zombies that play music.
- While the Almanac states his toughness is Hardened, his toughness is actually Dense because he only absorbs 40 damage shots while Zombie King absorbs 50 normal damage shots.
- He, Camel Zombies, Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie, and Hunter Zombie are the slowest zombies in the game so far.
- When he is just about to crush a Spring Bean or Chard Guard, not only his piano is bounced but both he and his chair is bounced too, despite the fact the piano and the chair are separated.
- When he crushes an Infi-nut, it will disappear but the projector stays and the zombie will just pass by. This also happens with Barrel Roller Zombie.
- Technically, he and Barrel Roller Zombie deal a lot of damage to the plants to "crush" them, unlike how Gargantuars or All-Star Zombies do.
- According to the code, they deal 40 bites each time, which is enough to make any plant except most defensive plants instantly killed.
- He is the first zombie to play music while using his special ability.
- The second is Disco-tron 3000 and the third is Boombox Zombie.
- If a Primal Peashooter knocks him back, his music will reset.
- As of the 4.4 update, he plays music off-screen and when immobilized. This is likely a glitch.
- After an update, starting any level with Pianist Zombies after choosing plants will result in the sound of his piano being destroyed can be heard once the level starts.
- When shrunken by Shrinking Violet, the music played by him changes to a higher pitched, faster version.
- He, Barrel Roller Zombie, and Gargantuar are the only known zombies capable of destroying potions.
- Pianist Zombie's Almanac entry states that he only knows two songs, and they're both a bore. This may be referring to the regular and Feastivus music he plays (two songs) as they are 10 seconds of music looped over and over (a bore).
- He makes a sound of a plant completely eaten when he crushes a plant, similar to the Barrel Roller Zombie with a barrel.
- When hypnotized by Caulipower he will keep playing his music and zombies will keep dancing.