He stays inside his sarcophagus, which has a face similar to Crazy Dave's on it. When it is broken, the player can see the appearance of the zombie. He appears as a Mummy Zombie wearing an Egyptian crown, a golden necklace and a belt.
His sarcophagus greatly protects him but slows down a rather fast zombie.
Speed Details: moves like a hungry zombie once free
The second cousin once removed of King Rot, he rose to power with his disappearing sarcophagus act, but met his untimely end in an unfortunate goat accident. His tale is told in great detail on the back of his sarcophagus, which no one will ever see.
Pharaoh Zombie absorbs 1535 damage per shot, and his appearance changes upon absorbing 400 and 800 damage per shot before the sarcophagus breaks at 1200 damage per shot. Pharaoh Zombie loses his arm at 1370 damage per shot before he dies at 1535 damage per shot. Pharaoh Zombie also eats plants at a 1.5x faster rate than an average Basic Zombie.
Prior to version 5.9.1, this zombie couldn't have been fully destroyed by instant kills in one hit until the sarcophagus has been destroyed, since any instant kills would only destroy the sarcophagus and the zombie would still be a problem. Now, using an instant kill will destroy both the sarcophagus and the zombie altogether so that the player does not need to deal with his speed. A Bonk Choy behind a Wall-nut can deal with the sarcophagus quite easily, although he might need assistance from other offensive plants. When they come in swarms, Plant Food might be necessary to deal with all of them quickly.
Pharaoh Zombies are resistant to a lot of attacks and is challenging to deal with. He is also unique in the fact that, when in his sarcophagus, he can eat a Chili Bean or Garlic without fainting or moving into other lanes, unlike other zombies which either faint upon eating them or crush them (however, robot zombies also act like Pharaoh Zombies in his sarcophagus). Using Cabbage-pults and Potato Mines against Pharaoh Zombies are valid alternatives to Chili Bean. Using Snow Peas against him is a very good idea, as he will slow the already slowed down zombie and deny him from using his speed boost. Instant-kill plants are also a good idea, as they can now instantly destroy the zombie in one go.
In Pyramid of Doom, these zombies will become very annoying, since they can absorb a lot of damage and are sometimes found in large hordes. Planting one Winter Melon to deal with a single Pharaoh Zombie will just barely defeat him, assuming that there are no other zombies in that lane, so be sure to use many heavy-offense plants against Pharaoh Zombies.
Magnifying Grass is also useful as an armor-breaker, since she can kill the Pharaoh Zombie in four shots. Sun Bean with Plant Food will destroy the zombie instantly and give the player large amounts of sun. Chomper can devour him in one bite even if he is still in the sarcophagus without Plant Food's help, although the player will need to be careful as Chomper may eat the wrong zombie and cannot do anything while chewing. The same goes with Toadstool. Hypnotizing him also works well, as you use his high health to your advantage.
Shadow-shroom can defeat this zombie easily since poison directly damages zombies themselves. However, the player should plant Shadow-shroom near Moonflower to power it when this zombie comes in large groups so the player can spread poison all zombies together or feed Plant Food with it to poison all zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Pharaoh Zombie.
- He, without his casket resembles the Egyptian king Ramses the Great. Also, his crown resembles a crown from lower Egypt.
- His Almanac entry mentions King Rot, which is a pun on Tutankhamun's colloquial name, King Tut.
- There is a glitch where if the player breaks a Pharaoh Zombie's sarcophagus and kill him with peas before he starts moving again, his headless body will move and play his death animation at the same speed he moves with his sarcophagus, basic. This is most likely because the game does not register that he should move at speedy speed, because the player did not let him move after his sarcophagus broke, so it thinks that he should still move at basic speed.
- He is similar to Newspaper Zombie, Barrel Zombie, and Sunday Edition Zombie, as all four of them will increase their speed once they lose their armor or shield.
- The Mummified Gargantuar uses his sarcophagus to smash plants, which resembles the Pharaoh Zombie's sarcophagus.
- He growls first to know he is going to enter the player's lawn, in a similar manner to how the Zomboni and Dolphin Rider Zombie from the first game announce their arrival by making noise. The growl sounds like a coyote howling.
- He, Poncho Zombie, Zombie Bull, Pirate Captain Zombie, Imp Cannon, Shield Zombie, Robo-Cone Zombie, Mecha-Football Zombie, Jester Zombie, Dodo Rider Zombie, MC Zom-B and Breakdancer Zombie both during a rap jam, Gargantuar and his mechanized variant, and Imps are the only zombies that make noise before entering the lawn.
- He is the only zombie that is able to move faster than a Basic Zombie without a status alignments even when slowed down. When his sarcophagus is broken, he will still move relatively fast under the slowing effects of both ice and sap.
- Pharaoh Zombies can eat the plants while still in their sarcophagi even though they do not appear to be able to eat them. They may be just scratching the plants instead of biting them.
- If his sarcophagus is still on, he will not die when he eats a Chili Bean. On the contrary to this, he can be hypnotized by a Hypno-shroom or inflected with Sun Bean's Plant Food effect despite not eating them.
- His sarcophagus is also used by Mummified Gargantuar to crush the player's plants, but it appears to be longer. Additionally, when the Mummified Gargantuar crushes a plant with it, players can see a normal Mummy Zombie inside it for a split second.
- He can be slowed down or frozen, even when he is inside his sarcophagus.
- The only exceptions are Snapdragon's and Sun Bean's Plant Food effects, which will kill Pharaoh Zombie, even if he is still in his sarcophagus. Snapdragon can kill a Pharaoh Zombie due to the effect lasting long enough to destroy the sarcophagus and kill the zombie afterwards, unlike other instant kills. Sun Bean can make the Pharaoh Zombie explode and burst out a huge amount of sun, even with his sarcophagus on.
- After the sarcophagus has been destroyed, Pharaoh Zombies will stop for a moment, a trait he shares with Camel Zombies.
- His sarcophagus has the face of Crazy Dave, marking the paradoxical idolization of him, along with the Sphinx-like monument from which zombies emerge in Ancient Egypt.
- Although the Almanac says his speed is Hungry, it is Speedy compared to other zombies, but he really has a speed that is between Flighty and Speedy as he moves one tile per second. He has the speed of a Dolphin.
- The candles from his Birthdayz costume will remain lit even if he is frozen.
- When the Dark Ages update was released, his stated toughness in the Almanac was increased from Dense to Hardened.
- Despite being immune to Chili Bean, he can be hypnotized by a Hypno-shroom and gain the effects of eating a Sun Bean. This trait is shared with the robot zombies in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- As of the 2.7.1 update, Pharaoh Zombie can be buttered by Kernel-pult's butter while still in his sarcophagus, implemented as a counter to his high health.
- His Almanac entry states that "no one will ever see" the back of his sarcophagus. This is actually true, since there is no back sprite for the sarcophagus in any of the game's files.
- If an Electric Blueberry attempts to shock him, the cloud will remove the sarcophagus and leave the zombie. However, the same cloud will then attempt to shock the zombie, killing him.