Penny Pincher is an achievement unlockable on the PC, iOS, Nook, and Android versions of Plants vs. Zombies. It is worth ten points on Game Center. The player unlocks it when they collect 30 coins of any kind without missing one in a single level.
Its name is a reference to "penny pinchers," people who are careful with money and pinch it before letting it on a surface.
This achievement can be completed at any level, including Adventure Mode, but only if enough coins are dropped. The best levels to do so are Survival: Endless because of the large waves of zombies that arrive. However, you cannot let any disappear or this achievement will not count. Playing the Last Stand mini-game and using Marigolds and/or a Gold Magnet would be a good example. Another would be playing Whack a Zombie (or Level 2-5) because the zombies drop coins very often in that mini-game. You can also get this achievement in Zen Garden, and it is quite easy (the more plants you have, the easier you can get it). Another excellent way to get this achievement is through Wall-nut Bowling and Wall-nut Bowling 2. Just wait for the screen to be filled with zombies, then send a few Wall-nuts through to make combos and therefore, earn coins. Replaying level 4-10 after your first playthrough can help, as killing the Zombie Yeti for the first time will provide 5 diamonds, leaving you with 25 coins or diamonds left for the needed amount.
- The player can earn this achievement in Zen Garden, despite it not being a level, though the player has to stay in the Zen Garden to collect coins.
- Its icon is misleading, as only 18 silver coins appear in the icon when 30 are needed to get the achievement.
- It is possible that they are behind the other stacks.
- This and Lucky Spin are the only achievements related to money.
- This achievement shares its name with one of the cogs in Disney's Toontown Online.