Octo Zombie is a premium legendary zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. He costs 8 to play, and has 8/8. He has the Amphibious and Frenzy traits, and his ability gives him the Bounce effect when he is destroyed.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribe: Pet Zombie
- Traits: Amphibious, Frenzy
- Ability: When destroyed: Bounce this Octo Zombie.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Legendary
Is the correct term "octopuses" or "octopi"? You'd think he'd have an opinion, but he doesn't.
- ▼ Afterlife Trait removed.
- ▲ Ability added: When destroyed: Bounce this Octo Zombie.
Being one of the two strongest Beastly zombies, having the Amphibious and Frenzy traits, along with solid 8/8 stats and the ability to return to the player's hand indefinitely, he is one nice card to have in most decks. Pair him with some supportive zombies, such as Loudmouth or Electrician, and utilize his Amphibious trait against the plant hero. This is especially that you can play this zombie anytime and whatever it is destroyed, you can play him again and again. Overall, he is a really great zombie and worth adding to almost all Beastly decks.
He is best used against Water Chestnut or Hibernating Beary because of his high strength to counter their high health, and using Zookeeper and Cat Lady can create threats to the plant hero due to his pet tribe. This way, not only does the plant hero have to worry about Octo Zombie, but also other aggressive pet zombies.
You can place this in the aquatic lane to get a major advantage over Solar Flare, Chompzilla, and Captain Combustible, who lack Amphibious plants. You can play him in front of plants at low health to finish them off, as he is mostly able to defeat them due to his extremely high strength and a high chance to strike the plant hero. You can also move him to the aquatic lane with Smoke Bomb if you want a free strike. However, only Brain Freeze can normally perform this combo. You can also play Brain Freeze's signature superpower, Frozen Tundra, to allow him to strike the plant hero without getting damaged himself, as long as he is in a ground lane.
For an odd reason, while the ability mentions that it bounces this Octo Zombie when it's destroyed, it actually does not get bounced and just conjures the same Octo Zombie into your hand. This means that it can benefit Dr. Spacetime as if Octo Zombie was destroyed, you will get Octo Zombie that cost 7 instead of 8. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are holding 10 cards and Octo Zombie is destroyed, you will not get Octo Zombie back into your hand.
It is not recommended to use an instant-kill trick on him as it will be played again in the next turn. Once Octo Zombie is on board, it can be bounced if it gets destroyed. If you are able to get him to be moved, move him to the ground. If he comes back on the aquatic lane, use strong Amphibious plants, such as Guacodile to deal with him. If playing as Citron or Grass Knuckles, placing a plant in front of him and then using Root Wall or Peel Shield on him will negate his Frenzy trait, saving you from heavy damage. Additionally, you can Freeze him, as it will stop his attack for a turn. Beware if you are playing against Immorticia, as she can use Lurch for Lunch to unfreeze him. If you get the chance, Bounce him, as killing him does the exact same thing.
As a Solar hero, it is recommended to play Squash or Lawnmower to destroy him, although this will not be able to completely destroy him since he can reappear in the next turn. If you predict your opponent playing this, try keeping instant-kill tricks into your deck. As Wall-Knight, since he has access to the most instant-kill tricks as well as using Guacodile to stop Octo Zombie, you should reserve such tricks for big threats such as this.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Octo Zombie (PvZH).
- He is stronger than most Gargantuars and some Zombots, unlike in Plants vs. Zombies 2. This includes Zombot Plank Walker and Zombot Sharktronic Sub.
- The fact that he has 8 health, 8 strength and costs 8 brains to play may be a reference that he is called Octo Zombie, as the prefix "octo" means "eight."
- On the advertisements for the Zombie Premium Pack and the Legendary Pack, he is seen to have only one tooth.
- Ironically, Neptuna cannot play this zombie card, despite both being closely related to octopi.
- His description is a reference to the grammatical issue of the plural for "octopus."
- Soul Patch is the only plant in the game that can survive a hit from Octo Zombie, without the help of any abilities or stat-boosting tricks.
- He only throws orange octopuses to attack even though he also has pink and purple octopuses on both of his hands. In addition, these octopuses does not have the ability to bind plants unlike in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- He is the only card that cannot be removed from the hand or the field once you get this card in the game, with the exception of transformation cards.