Modern Day - Day 1 is the first level of Modern Day in Plants vs. Zombies 2. Portals make their first appearance in this level. When this level is finished for the first time, the player unlocks Moonflower.
Dr. Zomboss: Aha! Project Paradox begins...NOW!
Penny: Timeline alert, User Dave!
Penny: We have arrived moments before our departure!
Penny: If my guess is correct, Dr. Zomboss will attempt to prevent your initial taco-consumption!
Penny: Our journey will cease to exist!
Crazy Dave: NOOOOOOOOOO!
Crazy Dave: ...OOOOOOOO! Sorry, I was busy screaming "No." Did you say "taco"?
Penny: We must aware, User Dave. Dr. Zomboss will surely deploy all his time-varied zombies against us!
Crazy Dave: TACOOOOOOO!
The level itself is not too difficult, only consisting of the three zombie variants plus the Flag Zombies, and very few of them too. However, what makes this level escalate in that are the summoned zombies by one of the gimmicks of this world, portals. The zombies spawned appear in specific spots, which are generally in the player's defenses. The player should be aware of what portals spawn, where they spawn, and finally what zombies come out of it. Zombies like Mecha-Football Zombie, Robo-Cone Zombie, Pharaoh Zombie, Barrel Roller Zombie, and Shield Zombie can be devastating to the player.
- The small number next to the zombie icon means that zombie will always appear in that lane, with 1 being the topmost lane and 5 being the bottommost one.
|Waves||Non-dynamic zombies||Ambush zombies||Note(s)|
|3||None||100% Plant Food|
|5||1 2 4 5||None||First flag; spawns at 4th column, 3rd row|
|6||1 3 5||None|
|7||2 1 4||None|
|8||3 3 3 3||None||spawns at 6th column, 2nd row|
|9||2 1 5||None||100% Plant Food|
|10||2 3 4 1 5 2 3 4||None||Final flag; spawns at 5th column, 1st row|
- Plant some Primal Sunflowers on the back rows. When the first zombie comes, stall or stun it.
- Start building some offense once you have enough Primal Sunflowers. Fill in three columns with Cacti.
- When the Ancient Egypt portal comes, stall zombies coming out with Stallia or Stunion and Primal Wall-nut. This will prevent the Pharaoh Zombie from eating your plants easily.
- Plant a Cacti next to the Pirate Seas portal to stop Barrel Roller Zombies from crushing your plants. Re-plant if needed.
- Use the E.M.Peach after all robots come out of the Far Future portal. If needed, stall or stun the robots.
- Give Plant Food to Cacti if a row is in danger. Use the Intensive Carrot if you cannot re-plant an eaten plant quickly.
- Created by Coollittlepeashooter
Awesome Strategy of Nostalgic Awesomeness
- Start placing Sunflowers, have at least two columns of them.
- Potato Mine the first zombie.
- Now that you got sun, plant Repeaters, Peashooters and Snow Peas.
- When the first portal comes, plant Chomper and dig it up to eat the zombies that come out.
- When the Pirate Seas portal comes out, plant a Potato Mine to destroy the Barrel Roller.
- Collect as much sun, use the Plant Food on Chomper when the Far Future portal comes out, but do it when all three mechs come out, so it can push them, place a Cherry Bomb next to the mechs.
After Ancient Egypt Strategy
- Created by Moon Snail
This strategy can be done directly after you have completed Ancient Egypt - Day 8, but you also must have completed Far Future - Day 1. The point of this strategy is to help you obtain Moonflower early on, which will be used in the rest of my strategies.
- Required plants:
- Start by placing down Sunflowers. They will be planted in the first and second columns.
- When the first zombie comes, plant a potato mine in the third column.
- Plant Cold Snapdragons in the fourth and fifth columns, and Explode-O-Nuts in the sixth.
- Whenever a portal appears, plant an Explode-O-Nut in front of it.
- Plant Laser Beans in the third column.
- Once the Far Future portal appears, use Plant Food on a Laser Bean when all zombies appear from it. Using Explode-O-Nut will not work, since Mecha-Football will push it away.
- If all is done correctly, you should have completed the level, and obtained Moonflower. Moonflower is a very good sun producer, and will help you through most of the game from here.
- Required plants:
When the round starts, focus on planting Primal Sunflowers. Try and get two columns of those. Use Primal Wall-nut to stall the first zombie and then Primal Potato Mine. Do that to the next zombie and then use Primal Peashooter. Try and get one column of those. Then plant another column. When the first portal arrives, use Stallia to stall the first zombie and then Chard Guard. Primal Wall-nut for the Buckethead Zombies. Do the same until final wave. Also, use Cherry Bomb for the tomb-raisers (the zombie who barfs up bones). In the final wave, use Primal Potato Mines to kill the far future zombies. And cherry bomb too. If you do that, you will still have two Plant Foods. No premiums. No 8th seed slot. Brilliant!
- This level and Jurassic Marsh - Day 1 are the only 'Day 1' levels that have two flags.
- It is currently the only regular level where Dr. Zomboss speaks, similarly, this is the first time he speaks during the first day of the world.
- *: Removed