|Abilities||A Zombie gets +5/+5 and Frenzy.|
|It's not so much "hahaha" as it is "mwahahaha."|
Maniacal Laugh is a premium super-rare zombie trick card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. It costs 6 to play, and its ability gives a selected zombie +5/+5 and the Frenzy trait.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribe: Trick
- Ability: A Zombie gets +5/+5 and Frenzy.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
It's not so much "hahaha" as it is "mwahahaha."
- Card image design change.
Maniacal Laugh can easily turn the tide of the battle, or even potentially end the game in your favor. Using this on strong zombies can obliterate your opponent's defenses, and using it on weaker ones can make them quite formidable as well. However, since this trick is very expensive, you shouldn't waste it on a weakling unless you need it to save yourself. Rather, it is optimal to use it on one of the recommended zombies below.
Examples of zombies that form powerful combos with it are:
- Any zombie with the Strikethrough trait, as it has a higher likelihood of activating its Frenzy trait due to it also being able to hit a frail plant behind a tanky one. This is more so with Space Cowboy since he will move to the right and then do incredible damage to the plant hero. Only Brain Freeze can do this normally.
- Any zombie with the Anti-Hero trait to allow it to plow through plants in its way and hit your opponent for extra damage. Only Brain Freeze can do this normally.
- Any zombie with an ability that gives it lots of strength, such as Newspaper Zombie or Zombot Sharktronic Sub.
- Any zombie who needs to survive or take damage to be formidable, such as Jester or Zombie King.
- Any zombie with the Bullseye trait, as its high strength will most likely tear through the plants and deal massive damage to the opponent without charging up their Super-Block meter. If this is done on either Shieldcrusher Viking or Wizard Gargantuar, the game can end within two turns unless they heal or Soul Patch is on the field. Only Immorticia can do this normally.
- Paparazzi Zombie, as his ability gives him a small boost on top of the Maniacal Laugh boost. Only Immorticia can use this normally.
- Nurse Gargantuar to strengthen his ability, as he will do 11 damage to a plant, which is enough to destroy any unboosted plant, heal for 11 health, attack the hero for another 11 damage and heal for another 11 damage, basically recovering all damage done to you.
- Undying Pharaoh to boost his overall survivability. Only The Smash can do this normally.
- Valkyrie to further strengthen her and potentially end the game. Only Electric Boogaloo can do this normally.
Zombies with the Frenzy trait like Smashing Gargantuar and Vimpire are better left alone from this trick unless you think the huge stat boost is worth it for them, as they already have the the Frenzy trait by default, and the zombies above may be more favorable to get Frenzy. Vitamin Z may be a better option for zombies that already have Frenzy, as it gives them a similar boost for a cheaper price.
If you are playing as The Smash, you could also consider Coffee Zombie or Going Viral instead, if giving the Frenzy trait to all your zombies is what you really want, but Maniacal Laugh could still serve as a great game ender in a deck that utilizes Frenzy.
If you see your opponent saving 6 brains or more for tricks, and there are no threatening plants on the field that may otherwise tempt them to play Locust Swarm or Hail-a-Copter (against Immorticia only normally), it is likely that Maniacal Laugh is about to be played. In that case, you can play Brainana to take away their brains, try to destroy the zombies on the field before they become a huge threat, or play Dark Matter Dragonfruit to ruin any plans of playing this trick for the next few turns.
Wall-Knight can use Uncrackable to avoid taking damage, allowing you to stall and avoid taking damage, although you will not be able to predict this trick being played on the current turn unless you block and get it. Using tricks or fighters that allow you to Freeze zombies, such as Chilly Pepper or Iceberg Lettuce can also stall a zombie boosted from Maniacal Laugh for a turn or more. Ideally, Root Wall or Peel Shield can also be used if a plant is in the same lane as the boosted zombie.
Smarty heroes can use cards with the Bounce effect, such as Spring Bean, as bouncing that zombie removes both its huge stat boost and its extra Frenzy trait. As a last resort, you can play Shamrocket, Squash, or Doom-Shroom to destroy that zombie, but for the latter, see if any of your key plants get destroyed from it first. Also, all these can only be done if you can survive the Fight! phase since zombie tricks happen after plants get to play.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Maniacal Laugh.
- Its appearance is similar to the screen that appears in Neon Mixtape Tour when the Rap Jam is playing in Plants vs. Zombies 2, or the small screen of Dr. Zomboss next to the boss slots in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.
- It, Zombot's Wrath, and Gargantuars' Feast are the only cards to feature Dr. Zomboss.
- Coincidentally, they are all tricks.
- However, in the case of Maniacal Laugh, he only appears on the screen.
- It and Gargantuars' Feast are the only robots or part-robots to not be in the science tribe.
- In the Brazilian version, its description is Time for the famous evil 'Mwahahah'.