Mad Chemist is a premium super-rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Brainy class. He costs 4 to play, and has 2/3. He has the Gravestone trait, and his ability adds a random trick card into the zombie hero's hand when the first zombie trick is played every turn, starting from the turn he is revealed.
- Class: Brainy
- Tribe: Science Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When you play your first Trick each turn, add a random Trick to your hand.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
He's not so much "mad" as he is "mildly annoyed."
Having less than average stats for a 4 cost zombie, Mad Chemist isn't mainly used for combat, but for his rather useful and interesting ability. If you manage to protect Mad Chemist, he can compensate for trick usage. Note that you will only get one trick from this zombie per turn. If you want to keep him alive as long as possible, you can use Vitamin Z, Camel Crossing, or Rock Wall so you can keep using his ability.
Because of his ability, it is best to play this zombie with other zombies that benefit from trick usage, such as Paparazzi Zombie, who gets stronger whenever a zombie trick is played, or Trickster, who gets cheaper by the same method.
Try to play at least one trick per turn when he is on the field, and protect him as well as you can, since he gives you a random trick regardless of rarity or class, giving you a chance to get very powerful tricks like Maniacal Laugh or Gargantuars' Feast.
This zombie spawns from a gravestone, so using a Grave Buster is an ideal counter to him. Another strategy is using a powerful plant to deal with him, since he has low stats. Black-Eyed Pea and Sportacus can also be used to discourage the zombie hero from playing tricks, while Brainana can shut down the use of tricks entirely unless there is a Gentleman Zombie on the field.
- According to Gadget Scientist's description, he copies Gadget Scientist's hairstyle. However, his hair looks somewhat different from Gadget Scientist's, but with the same color.
- Chemist's default hairstyle in the Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare series is spiked, while Mad Chemist's hairstyle sticks up.
- Mad Chemist's hairstyle is more similar to the "Perfect Hair" accessory for the Scientist in Garden Warfare.
- Since update 1.14.13, Mad Chemist is glitched so that he can also give cards that cannot been seen normally by the user. Examples of such cards include the Bungee Plumber used in the tutorial and a Blank Zombie that cannot be played (which is used as a filler card in early AI and a few Witty Wednesday decks).