- For other versions, see Lightning Reed (disambiguation).
Splash Damage 1
|I do it for the shock value.|
Lightning Reed is a premium rare plant card appearing in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Smarty plants. It costs 2 and has 1/2 when first played. It has the Amphibious and Splash Damage 1 traits.
Its name is a portmanteau of "lightning rod," referring to its electrical ability and "reed," the real-life plant this plant is based on.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribe: Leafy Plant
- Splash Damage 1
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
I do it for the shock value.
Despite having only 1 strength, Lightning Reed can be devastating if used correctly. If placed between 2 zombies, Lightning Reed will be able to hurt (and possibly destroy) both zombies and damage the zombie hero. If placed in the middle of 3 zombies, Lightning Reed will damage all 3 of them. However, since Splash Damage is fixed, you cannot increase its Splash Damage if you boost its strength. Lightning Reed can also be placed in the water lane, which can make it safer from zombie heroes like Rustbolt.
It can easily be countered by Rolling Stone, or any strength-reducing trick or zombie such as Nibble or Landscaper. Zombies with the Armored 1 trait or more can easily nullify Lightning Reed's Splash Damage. The Chickening can also take this out, along with other plants.
- Interestingly, the Lightning Reed in this game is able to be planted on water, while in Plants vs. Zombies 2, it is unable to be planted on water.
- The glow for Lightning Reed is reversed in this version; in Plants vs. Zombies 2, it has a white inside with a cyan glow, but in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, it has a cyan inside with a white glow.
- The "shock value" mentioned in its description is a portmanteau of "shock," a life-threatening medical condition and "stock value," a term used in finance and accounting that means stated value.
- Unlike Plants vs. Zombies 2, Lightning Reed can't destroy Zombie Chickens in one attack.