- For other versions, see Lightning Reed (disambiguation).
Splash Damage 1
|"I do it for the shock value."|
Lightning Reed is a premium rare plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Smarty class. It costs 2 to play, and has 1/2. It has the Amphibious and Splash Damage 1 traits, and does not have any abilities.
- Class: Smarty
- Tribe: Leafy Plant
- Traits: Amphibious, Splash Damage 1
- Abilities: None
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
"I do it for the shock value."
- Description change: Quotation marks were added on the start and end of its description.
Despite only having 1, Lightning Reed can be devastating if used correctly. If you play it between 2 zombies, Lightning Reed is able to hurt, and possibly destroy both zombies and damage the zombie hero. If you play it in the middle of 3 zombies, Lightning Reed does damage to all of them. Examples of early-game threats weak to Lightning Reed are Tennis Champ, Cuckoo Zombie, Pool Shark, Exploding Imp, and Mini-Ninja.
However, since splash damage is fixed, you cannot increase its splash damage even if you boost its strength. Lightning Reed can also be played on the aquatic lane, which makes it safer from zombie heroes who have no Amphibious zombies, such as Rustbolt, Professor Brainstorm, and Z-Mech.
Ironically, despite having the Amphibious trait, Lightning Reed is more effective when played next to the aquatic lane, since it can hit the Amphibious zombie and have its splash damage activated to its full potential at the same time, while you have one less lane for splash damage to take effect if played on the aquatic lane. This only applies if the aquatic lane is the fifth lane in the field and Lightning Reed's strength is unboosted.
Lightning Reed is actually not very hard to deal with. It is effectively a Sting Bean with Splash Damage instead of Bullseye, so every strategy for Sting Bean should work well here. Unless its strength is boosted, you can destroy it with Rolling Stone. Strength-reducing cards such as Nibble or Landscaper also work, since Lightning Reed will be unable to fight back. Zombies with the Armored trait can easily nullify Lightning Reed's splash damage. The Chickening and Bungee Plumber can also destroy it easily assuming its health was not boosted.
- It can played on water in this game, but it cannot be planted on water in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- The glow for it is reversed in this game. In Plants vs. Zombies 2, it has a white inside with a cyan glow, but in this game, it has a cyan inside with a white glow.
- The "shock value" mentioned in its description is a portmanteau on the words "shock," or commonly known as an electric shock, the physiological reaction or injury caused by electric current passing through the body, and "shock value," the potential of an action or media to provoke a sharp negative reaction of disgust, shock, anger, fear, or similar emotions.
- Unlike in Plants vs. Zombies 2, it cannot destroy Zombie Chicken in one attack.
- It, Winter Melon and Pea Pod are the only plants to return from Wild West in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Lightning Reed and Snake Grass are the only non-galactic plants on the background of the Galactic Gardens battlefield.
- Lightning Reed is also the only non-event plant to appear there.
- Coincidentally, they are both in the Smarty class.