Kiwifruit (猕猴桃; pinyin: míhóutáo) is a monthly special plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. It attacks by throwing its staff at zombies, which stops when it hits one, and spins for a few seconds, damaging all zombies on that tile. When upgraded, its staff spins around for a longer amount of time.
This plant is based on the Actinidia chinensis. It's name, in Chinese, however, is a pun, as the word '猕猴' in its name '猕猴桃' means macaque, a genus of monkey famous in China.
Its appearance, according to the aforementioned monkey resemblance, is a reference to Sun Wukong, also known as the Monkey King, originating from the old Chinese classic folk Journey to the West, who wears a golden headband and attacks with a golden staff. Its costume and appearance, along with its idle animation, and its Level 5 ability of summoning minions from its hairs, also refers to the character.
Note: Kiwifruit's in-game recharge is Mediocre.
Sun cost: 200
Kiwifruit pulls out his staff to attack the nearest zombie and also does damage to all zombies in that square.
Special: Causes damage to all zombies in an area.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, Kiwifruit gets a giant Monkey King Bar and smashes zombies in a range of five tiles in front of it.
Kiwifruit will now smash zombies twice and stalls them in the ground for a while.
Kiwifruit is a tough plant to use, as it has a very small range, unless you count its Plant Food. And on early levels, it attacks very slowly. In order to be used effectively, you should try to a use a defensive plant such as Small Chestnut Team, Tall-nut or Infi-nut. Otherwise, it may be eaten up easily.
Support it with far-ranged plants, such Laser Beans and Winter Melons. Kernel-pult can be used, as if it butters a zombie, it will allow Kiwifruit to attack that zombie for a longer period of time without that zombie advancing too much, though you may also use Stunion or Iceberg Lettuce. If it is supported via Sunflower Singer, it can boost its strength, specifically on later levels, as it gets stronger and attacks for longer periods of time.
- It was released at the same month when the Chinese New Year begins as a new-year-themed plant, since the year 2016's symbol is a monkey.
- Although it swings the bar to the left before throwing it, it cannot use it to hit zombies behind.
- It, Kiwibeast and Kiwi, the unused plant from Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars are the only plants based on the kiwi fruit.
- It is one of the two only non instant-use plants that do not have a dancing animation caused by Sunflower Singer, the other being Lily Pad.
- It is based on the Monkey King in the book "Journey to the West", with exactly the same costume with the Monkey King.
- Its Level 5 ability is based on one of Monkey King's abilities.
- Its costume, if equipped, will momentarily disappear during its throwing animation.