King of the Grill is an event zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. He costs 6 to play, and has 6/6. He has the Frenzy trait, and his ability Conjures a gourmet card when a Gargantuar zombie, including him, destroys a plant. This ability persists until all Kings of the Grill are removed from the field.
He was only obtainable by purchasing the Summer Nights Bundle. He is now craftable.
His name is a pun on "King of the Hill," a recreational children's game based on attempts to reach the top of a hill and keep possession of it, and "grill," referring to King of the Grill's costume.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribes: Gourmet Gargantuar Zombie
- Trait: Frenzy
- Ability: When a Gargantuar destroys a Plant, Conjure a Gourmet card.
- Set: Event
Chillin' beside the ol' backyard grill, cookin' up some brains, hangin' with his zombies... that's the good unlife.
- Added to the game.
- Sound effect change: Now has no sound effects, previously the same as Gargantuar-Throwing Imp.
- Became craftable.
- Sound effect change: Now uses the same sounds as Gargantuar-Throwing Imp.
This card has good stats along with the Frenzy trait for his cost. However, his ability is what makes him shine in a Gargantuar deck and a Conjuring deck. This can be an alternative to Cheese Cutter as his ability involves any Gargantuar destroying a plant instead of a single zombie hurting the plant hero, but unlike Cheese Cutter, gourmet cards Conjured from King of the Grill don't have their brain cost lowered. Additionally, Gargantuar cards with the ability to destroy multiple plants at once such as Supernova Gargantuar and Zombot 1000 work well with King of the Grill, because you will be able to Conjure lots of gourmet cards.
Each Beastly hero has their their ways of using this card well:
- The Smash can play this earlier using Gargologist or use health-boosting cards such as Camel Crossing to help let his Gargantuars take more damage, allowing them to Conjure more Gourmet cards. He can also use his signature superpower, Slammin' Smackdown, to earn a free gourmet card.
- Electric Boogaloo can use damaging tricks such as Bungee Plumber and Final Mission to weaken the plants severely, making it more likely for him to gain a gourmet card. He can also finish off weaker plants with Zombot's Wrath to earn a gourmet card.
- Immorticia can use Teleport to play him in a lane filled with weak plants to allow easy card conjuring and to hit the plant hero hard. She can also combine King of the Grill with Wizard Gargantuar to ensure that if King of the Grill does hit the plant hero, it will be unblockable.
- Brain Freeze can use this with Dr. Spacetime to reduce the cost of the Conjured cards or move him with Smoke Bomb into a lane filled with weak plants. He can also reset its health and protect it from most tricks with Cursed Gargolith.
Here is a list of cards that King of the Grill can Conjure:
- Cheese Cutter
- Yeti Lunchbox
- Conga Zombie
- Energy Drink Zombie
- Exploding Fruitcake
- Healthy Treat
- Hot Dog Imp
- Lurch for Lunch
- Medulla Nebula
- Mystery Egg
- Sugary Treat
- Trapper Territory
- Brain Vendor
- Vitamin Z
- Overstuffed Zombie
- Thinking Cap
- Coffee Zombie
- Another King of the Grill
- Gargantuars' Feast
However, if you are using him to Conjure cards, then although he can Conjure useful cards such as Coffee Zombie and Nibble, or even powerful cards such as Gargantuars' Feast, he may also give cards that are either weak, such as Trapper Territory, or ones that do not synergize well with your deck, such as Trick-or-Treater in a non-trick deck.
Stat-wise, King of the Grill is a dangerous zombie. His ability will allow the zombie hero to earn free cards and it also allows all Gargantuars to do the same, especially Supernova Gargantuar and Zombot 1000. The best counter is to destroy him with tricks like Squash, Doom-Shroom and Shamrocket before your opponent plays other dangerous Gargantuars. In the case of Supernova Gargantuar, using Molekale can lessen the impact of Supernova Gargantuar. In the case of Zombot 1000, consider playing a few plants first and then retaliating.
- He is one of the three Gargantuars who naturally has the Frenzy trait. The other two are Supernova Gargantuar and Wannabe Hero.
- Out of the three, King of the Grill is the only one that is an event card.
- He is carrying a Hot Dog Imp on his back.
- When activating his ability, his chef hat catches fire. He then puts out the fire by smacking the hat with his spatula.
- When he is first played, there already appears to be a scorch mark on his hat where the fire appears.