- Not to be confused with Kernel-pult from Plants vs. Zombies and Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, see Kernel Corn (PvZH).
|Variants|| Pops Corn|
|Abilities|| Butter Barrage|
Bigger Better Butter
Kernel Corn is a new playable plant class introduced in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. He returned to Suburbia from fighting overseas during the events of Garden Warfare, only to find that the zombies have conquered Suburbia. Then he decided to bring the fight to them.
Fighting overseas during the events of the first Garden Warfare, the Kernel is ready to take the fight to the Zombies. What he lacks in a sense of humor, he makes up for with attitude, and dual Cob Busters.
Kernel Corn was stationed overseas for the events of the first Garden Warfare. Hearing about the conflict at home, he returned to a Suburbia transformed. Now he's ready to lead the Plants to victory, and tacos, but mostly victory.
The Kernel's dual Cob Busters, explosive Shuck Shot and Butter Barrage airstrike mean he's always on the front lines.
Kernel Corn's primary weapon are the Cob Busters, a fully automatic weapon that deals 5-7 base damage and 7-9 critical damage depending on range.
Kernel Corn tosses a Hot Potato. A massive amount of butter is deployed from the sky in an "x" shape wherever it lands.
Kernel Corn leaps into the air in a forward distance while firing his Cob Busters directly below him which damages any target below him.
Similar to ZPG, Kernel Corn fires 2 big cobs straight in front of him. It does massive damage and is capable of instantly vanquishing anything it hits (except for Z-Mechs), if the cobs manage to score a direct hit.
Bigger, Better Butter
Revealed in a live stream, it is the alternative ability to the Butter Barrage. Kernel Corn tosses a Hot Potato, but one giant piece of butter falls from the sky where it landed and does 20 damage if it lands on a zombie, which then makes a large explosion.
Tips & Tricks
- The Butter Barrage is great at taking out groups of zombies.
- Husk Hop can be used to attack zombies and also hop up onto rooftops or tactical areas, making it easier to fight.
- Pull the joystick/control key back to make Kernel Corn stay in one spot. It deals massive damage to zombies and players usually do not notice you nor can they escape in time.
- Shuck Shot is great for taking out Z-Mechs as they are such big targets.
- Additionally, one Shuck Shot can take out a massive amount of health from the Z-Mech, only leave for about one sixth to seventh of its health, and can instantly kill the Pylon Mech.
- Kernel Corn has more firepower than the Foot Soldier, making him a good front line assault class.
- Try to sneakily use the Butter Barrage. The Hot Potato's steam will warn Zombies of the incoming butter airstrikes if they notice it.
- A good tactic for taking out a Z-Mech is to use the Butter Barrage, then Husk Hop over them, then use your Shuck Shot against them when you land.
- Kernel Corn is very similar to the Foot Soldier in many ways, so play it similarly.
- Shuck Shots don't have to be completely accurate. They give off small splash damage when they hit something.
- Husk Hop can be used to quickly and easily get in and out of situations.
Post Beta Patch
- ▲ Primary Weapon Start Damage increased from 6.5 to 7.5
- ▲ All of the Kernel Corns, variants and the default, health have been changed to 150 to make him more of a front-line fighter.
- ▲ Magazine capacity was increased by 5.
- ▲ The reticle bloom when shooting was reduced.
- ▲ The accuracy of Kernel Corn when shooting was increased slightly.
- ▲ Magazine capacity was increased by 5.
- ▲ The ranged damage was increased from 5.5 to 6.5.
- The "Kernel" part of his name might is likely a reference to the military rank "Colonel", because Kernel Corn is in the plant military, as well as the fact that the seeds on corn are called kernels.
- The names of his abilities are all alliterative.
- The fact that he fires projectiles from his "arms" seems to reference a concept idea from the original Garden Warfare that deceits plants attacking using their arms rather than their mouths and heads.
- He yells occasionally while firing his primary weapon or using abilities.
- In the beta, the Cob Busters had 40 ammo instead of the 35 ammo in the finished game.
- This also applies to his variants.
- The default Kernel Corn is currently the only character in the game to be buffed in every character balancing update.
- He is also the only character out of all his variants to not have a hat without customization equipped.
- His Cob Busters lose kernels when the ammo from his primary weapon is used.
- Kernel Corn is a Legendary character in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.