Jester is a premium rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Crazy class. He costs 3 to play, and has 1/5. He has the Gravestone trait, and his ability does 2 damage to the plant hero every time he takes damage.
His description is a reference to the phrase "the joke's on you," which refers to when a person tries to pull a joke on someone, only to have it backfire and affect them instead.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Dancing Party Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When hurt: Do 2 damage to the Plant Hero.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Rare
The joke's on you!
- Rarity change: Super-Rare → Rare
- ▲ Ability change: Jester now does 2 damage per hit taken.
- ▲ Ability mechanic change: Jester only charges up the Super-Block Meter once when he takes damage from two plants at once.
- ▼ Ability mechanic change: If Jester is hit by two plants at once and the second hit is what destroyed him, he no longer activates his ability for the second hit.
- ▲ Ability mechanic change: If Jester is hit by two plants at once and the second hit is what destroyed him, he now activates his ability for the second hit.
- ▼ Ability mechanic change: Jester now charges up the Super-Block Meter every time he activates his ability.
Due to his high health, the main goal for Jester is to try and give him the slowest destruction as possible so that he can make use of his ability to its highest potential. He can pressure your opponent into not playing a weak plant against him, as he will slowly damage your opponent regardless of whether that plant is there or not. Due to him having the Gravestone trait as well, your opponent cannot tell if he is played until it is too late. Stat-boosting tricks or abilities can help Jester and make him extremely dangerous if your opponent cannot destroy him quickly.
Jester can be quickly played and cause a nuisance towards the plant hero. Because of his high health, the opponent must take him out as quickly as possible to minimize damage. However, Jester has very low strength, so raising it can make him more troublesome. This zombie is perfect with Aerobics Instructor due to him having high base health, and constantly gaining strength from Aerobic Instructor's ability. Brute Strength or Maniacal Laugh is also a great option as it boosts Jester's strength, leaving the plant hero a limited amount of choices to block him without activating his ability, although only Impfinity and Z-Mech can use Brute Strength.
Boosting Jester's health can increase the number of times his ability can activate, making him a great choice to put in a stat-boosting deck, especially to put some pressure on the opposing hero. This is especially so for Z-Mech, as he can use Rock Wall, Camel Crossing and Monster Mash to boost Jester's health. Z-Mech can also move plants into Jester's lane with Sumo Wrestler and use Landscaper to reduce the plant's strength to a lower value, just don't reduce it to 0 or else the ability will be wasted.
Fireworks Zombie can synergize with Jester effectively, as his ability to damage every plant and zombie on the field can be used to deliberately trigger Jester's ability. This combo can be improved by Barrel of Deadbeards, as it gets destroyed by Fireworks Zombie, thus causing Jester to be hurt once again. This is especially useful to try and use the ability one more time before being destroyed by a plant fighter in the fight phase. As Impfinity, In-Crypted and Mixed-Up Gravedigger can be really useful with Jester, they will reset Jester's health to 5, meaning he can take more hits. He can also be substituted with Exploding Imp or Abracadaver as they all cost the same, in which your opponent either plays something that can do enough damage to take out Jester in one hit or leave that lane empty, only to find out it was Exploding Imp or Abracadaver. You can also play him in Spikeweed Sector or Hot Lava to make him do 2 damage before combat. However, be careful with his health.
Because he comes out of a gravestone, it is best to use Grave Buster to deal with him efficiently without worrying about taking damage from his ability. Target the gravestone if Grave Buster is not available at the time. Using Iceberg Lettuce or Spring Bean can help too, as they will stall for some time to get a powerful plant to attack it. Bouncing methods will set Jester's health back to 5, so take caution when bouncing this. In extreme cases where you hero's health is low, bounce him in order not to get your hero damaged.
You should not use two attacking plants such as Shroom for Two or other Team-Up plants in the same lane to hit Jester, as Jester will return double the damage to the plant hero. Take careful actions when using direct damage tricks such as Cherry Bomb, as Jester will deal 2 damage to the plant hero anyway. You would also want to avoid using Spikeweed Sector as he will do additional damage to your hero.
Jester only benefits through slow destruction. A plant fighter with at least 5 strength can destroy him with ease, while only having his ability to trigger only once. Or to avoid more damage given to the plant hero, avoid playing a plant there. However, there is a chance that a powerful zombie such as Exploding Imp is revealed instead, so be forewarned.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Jester.
- The Jester in this game has juggling balls, unlike Jester Zombie in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Unlike in Plants vs. Zombies 2, he takes damage from any projectile, but he can deflect damage regardless of what hits him.
- He, along with Knight of the Living Dead and Zombie King are the only zombies from Dark Ages to be featured in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
- Additionally, Jester is the only one out of the three zombies that isn't in the Hearty class.
- He is also the only zombie that doesn't have history as his tribe, despite being from the Dark Ages.