Ice Level is one of the 17 hidden mini-games in the Limbo Page which can only be played using Cheat Engine. This mini-game was considered useless, as no one knew how to play it. It only has six seed slots with plants: Peashooter, Cherry Bomb, Wall-nut, Repeater, Snow Pea, and Chomper. There is no "Restart Level" button and it cannot be saved. In order to obtain the trophy, one would have to hack even more to make it a regular level. This is the only level in the Limbo Page and in the game itself, where zombies do not reach the players house (without hacking twice).
The creators were thinking of making levels covered in snow where the Zombie Yeti would appear, but it did not work out, so it was left in an incomplete state. When they ended up abandoning the idea, it was still left in the game's data, but there were no zombies and no snow. Supposedly, this was because they forgot to remove the data for the level itself, and only removed the level's settings. For more information, click here. Just use the arrows below to flip through the pages.
How to play
- Main article: Limbo Page
With no zombies (or nearly anything for that matter), you need to hack the game more in order to win this level.
Play Survival: Day modes, until the final wave. When all zombies have appeared on the screen, change the saved data to game1_42.dat. Then go to the Ice Level and kill the last zombie. Get the trophy and you win the game.
Close Plants vs. Zombies if it is open, then open your save file in a hex editor (located at C:\ProgramData\PopCap Games\PlantsVsZombies\userdata in Windows Vista and above, or in the Plants vs. Zombies installation folder in Windows XP), go to offset 0x0B4, change the data from 00 to 01, and then save it. The next time you open the Limbo Page, there should be a trophy mark on the Ice Level button.
- The level was supposed to be an area from Adventure Mode with new zombies and ten levels, but the idea was later scrapped and changed into a mini-game, which was then abandoned.
- According to PopCap, they got inspired by the popularity of the Zombie Bobsled Team, Zombie Yeti and the unknown "Santa zombies" that makes the world finish, however they scrapped this idea.
- The icon of the mini-game is the Wall-nut Bowling icon. (However, this states that the code is completely absent, thus making it the first minigame to be unlocked, icon.)
- It is the only canceled mini-game which does not work, as its code is completely absent.
- It is also the only canceled mini-game that both cannot be won without cheats and is also an actual mini-game level.
- It, along with Zen Garden, are the only parts of the game with no zombies. (Technically, this has zombies with no finished codes in it, thus making this the mini-game without zombies encountering in it.)
- According to some comments in the development of the area, the Zombie Yeti was going to appear in that area and was able to throw snowballs which would freeze the player's plants permanently, there was also Polar Bear Zombies, which dropped pies to quell the rage of the Zombie Yeti, and make them go away.
- There were also supposed to be Santa Zombies on this level, but their purpose is unknown.
- The Zombie Yeti freezing the player's plants by throwing snowballs would later be done officially by Hunter Zombie.
- Without hacking, the player can only place a lone Wall-nut, after placing a lone wall-nut, a game over sounds plays.
- There is no music playing and no sun falling from the sky in this level.
- However, if the player waits for 30 seconds, they will hear the floop.ogg sound effect (the one that's played when you make a wrong move in Beghouled), and then immediately followed by a game over sound.
- There's no "Restart Level" button in the pause menu, since the level has no save data.
- There is a world similar to it in Plants vs. Zombies 2, called Frostbite Caves.
- Given the "music" that plays is the game over jingle, it can be assumed that the game over jingle's file overrides where Ice Level's music once was. This is how the game over starts to play when the Ice Level is starting. (When not hacked.)
- Maybe, this world stopped because the Zombie Yeti is going to be unlocked at the second time Fog 4-10 is, making this world without zombies, leaving an incomplete state. The Bobsled, however did not make in this level even through hacking because theres no data AT ALL to spawn it.
- However, second theory is that this is maybe the base of the zombies: Zombonis and Zombie Bobsled, but it didn't make its way and just got to the pool level which is now where to be unlocked.
†: That mini-game is not shown in Limbo page.
*: That mini-game is playable without needing to access the Limbo Page.