- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, see Ice-shroom (PvZ: GW). For the plant in the Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 with a similar name, see Freeze Mushroom.
|Damage||Normal, immobilizes zombies|
|Usage||Single use, instant|
|Unlocked||Beating Level 2-7|
|Planted on||Ground, Lily Pad, or Flower Pot|
|Sleeps during the day|
|Ice-shroom frowns, not because he's unhappy or because he disapproves, but because of a childhood injury that left his facial nerves paralyzed.|
Airborne enemies will only suffer from the freezing effect while Zomboni, Zombie Bobsled Team, and underground Digger Zombie are immune to Ice-shroom altogether. Attacking with fire-based plants will also immediately remove both the stunning and freezing effect.
Suburban Almanac entryIce-shroom
Ice-shrooms temporarily immobilize all zombies on the screen.
Damage: very light, immobilizes zombies
Range: all zombies on the screen
Usage: single use, instant
Sleeps during the day
Ice-shroom frowns, not because he's unhappy or because he disapproves, but because of a childhood injury that left his facial nerves paralyzed.
Recharge: very slow
Ice-shroom is a useful plant that can help the user in delaying the horde and maximizing the plants' efficiency. As it can affect every single enemy on the screen, Ice-shroom will prove to be highly useful in normal levels, as other slowing options are either expensive or limited in scale. Ice-shroom's value, however, suffers greatly in Survival: Endless, as the player is likely going to have enough Winter Melons to suppress the horde, and the stunning duration of only 3.25 seconds is too trivial to have a great impact on the battle.
Unlike most other mushrooms, the nocturnal plant mechanic does not necessarily affect Ice-shroom negatively, as it will not activate immediately when planted in daylight levels. This allows the player to "stockpile" Ice-shrooms by planting them on safe space and activating them when needed. Pumpkins can also be used to guard sleeping Ice-shrooms, giving the player more liberty in storing them for further use.
Ice-shroom is provided at this level as the only method to negate Dr. Zomboss's fireball attack. Therefore, the player should not try to deplete their stock too quickly, and instead, only use Ice-shroom when either a fireball or dangerous enemies are present. Stunning Dr. Zomboss when he lowers his robot can also speed up the level by giving the plants more time to damage him. However, unless there is an iceball present, avoid using Jalapeno when he is frozen, as the fire will take away both the chilling and freezing effect.
As invisible zombies will still have ice formed on their feet when frozen, Ice-shroom can be used to scan the lawn for potential threats. This will not work on pool lanes however.
In Survival: Endless, Ice-shroom will see its value inversely proportional to the amount of Cob Cannons utilized by the player, as the few seconds earned with each Ice-shroom will matter more when less firepower is present to actually fight the horde. Stockpiling Ice-shrooms remains a powerful strategy, and there are three ways the player could do this:
- Placing Ice-shroom on the pool row is the safest option since there is much less pressure from the zombies in these lanes. However, the pool is also the best place for installing Cob Cannon and Twin Sunflower for the same reason, therefore, this option will force the player to sacrifice great amounts of firepower.
- Placing Ice-shroom on the back columns in normal lanes will expose it to Imps and Digger Zombies, forcing the player to divert further attention to Pumpkin maintenance. This is usually the preferred option, however, since it does not require much firepower sacrifice.
- Placing Ice-shroom at the frontline is the most dangerous option, as this will put Ice-shroom in the path of various threats such as Zombonis, Football Zombies, and Gargantuars. This is usually a last-ditch option, but it still has its merits, namely not allowing Imps to attack Ice-shroom and not requiring Pumpkin if the crowd is well controlled.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Ice-shroom.
- When an Ice-shroom explodes, snowflakes can be seen.
- It is the only explosive plant in Plants vs. Zombies that is not an instant kill.
- It is also the only explosive plant in Plants vs. Zombies that only deals one normal damage shot.
- This and Blover are the only instant-use plants that affect the entire screen.
- When used on a Pool or Fog level, the pool's animation stops until the zombies are unfrozen.
- Even though its Suburban Almanac entry says that the damage is very light, it is actually the same as damage from one pea, which is stated as normal in Almanac.