- For other uses, see Potato Mine (disambiguation).
Hothead is a token plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Kabloom and Guardian classes. He is made by Tater Toss, Spudow's signature superpower, but can also be made by Cornucopia's ability, or transformed into by Seedling, Petal-Morphosis, or Reincarnation's ability. He costs 3 to play (only when he is Bounced or transformed into by Reincarnation), and has 1. He has the Team-Up trait, and his ability does 6 damage to a zombie on his lane when he is destroyed.
His appearance is a visual pun on "hothead," a person who gets angry easily, as Hothead is literally Spudow's head.
- Classes: Kabloom, Guardian
- Tribe: Root Plant
- Trait: Team-Up
- Ability: When destroyed: Do 6 damage to a Zombie here.
- Set: Token
Sure, he has an explosive temper. But for the most part, he's pretty even peeled.
- Name change: Hot Potato → Hothead
Apply the same strategies as you would for Potato Mine. However, since this does 6 damage opposed to 2, it is recommended to save this to defeat a tough zombie like Shieldcrusher Viking, Drum Major, Smashing Gargantuar, etc. He can also immediately counter Trickster, especially if the zombie hero spent all their brains. Be careful of Teleport if they are using Trickster, though. Also, because he has the Team-Up trait, you can protect a plant with this and apply some pressure to the opponent. However, be wary that this will not defeat some zombies such as Wizard Gargantuar or Knight of the Living Dead without support. In that case, boosting its stats, playing a plant behind it or damaging the target first can improve the total damage output on that zombie.
Unless you need to block the lane for a turn, do not use this against shielded zombies, as they will not get harmed and will waste Hothead. Alongside, unless you are about to block or the lane right to it is occupied, do not use this against Space Cowboy as it will move before activating Hothead's ability, wasting him as well.
Against this, there is very little to counter him. If he is played near a really important zombie, the best option is to Bounce this to save some time. In this case, the hero would have to spend 3 sun in order to replant him. It is not recommended to use damaging tricks as he will also still activate his effect. Another option is moving zombies or this to other lanes, so they will not be hurt from this. At this point, you could also use a damaging trick to waste his ability in the process. You can also use Escape through Time to prevent damage to that zombie.
- Hothead and Explode-o-nut are the only plants that share the appearance of another plant, but are tinted red instead of their regular coloration.
- He is the only plant to do this in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
- In some missions, Spudow can play him as if he was a normal plant.
- Prior to update 1.4.14, Hothead was called "Hot Potato."
- Hothead, Zom-Bats, Impfinity Clone and Octo-Pet are currently the only cards that are in two classes.
- Coincidentally, they are all token cards that are normally made by signature superpowers.
- However, before update 1.2.12, Goat used to be in two classes as well, albeit it was in plant classes.
- Out of these four, it is the only one from the plants side.