Hot Lava is a triassic uncommon plant environment card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Kabloom class. It can also be made by Lava Guava and Fireweed. It costs 1 to play, and its ability does 1 damage to all plants and zombies in it before combat.
It is based on lava, molten rock expelled by a volcano during an eruption.
Its description references its ability to damage both plants and zombies.
- Class: Kabloom
- Tribe: Environment
- Ability: Before combat here: Do 1 damage to each Plant and Zombie here.
- Set - Rarity: Triassic - Uncommon
Lava has no loyalty. It's just hot. It just IS.
- Set - Rarity change: Token → Triassic - Uncommon
While this environment is a downgrade to Spikeweed Sector in some aspects, it can be more beneficial than it if used correctly.
Plants which feature abilities that activate when they take damage or get destroyed can be taken advantage of. For example, Hibernating Beary will get +4 before combat on this environment, which will be very helpful at destroying most zombies or doing serious damage to the zombie hero. Similarly, Prickly Pear and Mirror-Nut will also activate their abilities before combat. Potato Mine, Primal Potato Mine, or Hot Date can be used to take out zombies with 3 or less, clearing way for a direct attack, assuming there is a plant behind them.
As this is an environment, Invasive Species gains a boost from this, which makes it another good choice. However, be warned that Hot Lava will decrease its longevity.
But other than that, don't play plants that have 1 in it, as they will be destroyed before combat. Don't play this on lanes with Jester or Newspaper Zombie either, as doing so will activate their abilities.
This environment can destroy zombies with 1 such as Exploding Imp, Mini-Ninja, Pool Shark, etc. before they even get a chance to attack. If this is played on a lane where one of these zombies is played, you can keep them alive by boosting their health with tricks such as Camel Crossing and Vitamin Z.
However, some zombies can benefit from this environment. A good example is Newspaper Zombie, as he will gain +4 before combat, which will let him destroy stronger plants, or do heavy damage to the plant hero. Jester is another good option, as this will activate his ability every turn before combat. Barrel of Deadbeards and Gas Giant can also be used to activate their damaging abilities.
- It is one of the two plant cards that are capable of hurting plants as well as zombies. The other is Galacta-Cactus.
- Coincidentally, both were introduced in the Galactic Gardens update.
- It is the only one out of the two that is an environment.
- It and Trapper Territory are the only token environments to be obtainable after an update.
- It is the only plant environment to cost 1 sun.
- During development, it was simply called "Lava."