|Is he a zombie? Is he a ghost? He refuses to be pigeonholed.|
Haunting Zombie is a premium uncommon zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. He costs 2 to play, and has 2/1. He has the Afterlife trait, which gives the zombie hero a Haunting Ghost card with identical stats when he is destroyed, unless the zombie hero has the maximum number of cards in their hand.
Also, in the boss battle for the mission Haunting at Morbid Manor, Immorticia starts with three Haunting Zombies, again on the same lanes as before.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribe: Monster Zombie
- Trait: Afterlife
- Abilities: None
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Uncommon
Is he a Zombie? Is he a ghost? He refuses to be pigeonholed.
- ▲ Tribe change: Ghost → Monster
Because he has the Afterlife trait, you can play this again safely if the original Haunting Zombie gets destroyed from a trick or a bonus attack. Other than that, this zombie is not in a tribe that benefits from other cards and has low stats, so he becomes less useful in the late game. He can also be hard to use early game as well, as he can likely take up an entire turn to use. Still, he can put pressure on the plant hero because they know he'll come back when they destroy him. Decks that have few zombies can benefit with Haunting Zombies, as he can be replayed again. He is best to be used in Immorticia decks that uses mostly tricks, but does not benefit well with Electric Boogaloo or Brain Freeze as they can only be easily buffed from the Beastly class.
Mostly anything can destroy this. Sour Grapes can destroy him with ease, especially if the returned Haunting Ghost is on the field. In plant missions, Immorticia will likely have lots of these on field from the start. When playing as Solar Flare or Chompzilla, consider using Scorched Earth immediately to ease the pressure.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Haunting Zombie.
- The Haunting Zombie is not a ghost; rather, he is a zombie with a white sheet on top of him.
- However, the Afterlife version is a real ghost.
- His description is a nod to Cattail's Almanac entry from Plants vs. Zombies, where he "refuses to be pigeonholed", just like the last line on Cattail's entry.
- Haunting Zombie and Octo Zombie are the only cards with the Afterlife trait so far.
- Coincidentally, they are both premium Beastly zombies.