|Is he a zombie? Is he a ghost? He refuses to be pigeonholed.|
Haunting Zombie is a premium uncommon zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. It costs 2 to play, and has 2/1. It has the Afterlife trait, which allows it to return to the zombie hero's hand as a Haunting Ghost when defeated (except when the zombie hero's hand is full and cannot accept additional cards).
In the Boss Battles of the missions Beware the Bewitching Zombie and Haunting at Morbid Manor, Immorticia starts with a Haunting Ghost on every Ground lane, making for a total of three Haunting Ghosts.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribe: Monster Zombie
- Trait: Afterlife
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Uncommon
Is he a Zombie? Is he a ghost? He refuses to be pigeonholed.
- Tribe change: Ghost Zombie → Monster Zombie.
Because it has the Afterlife trait, you can play this again safely if the original Haunting Zombie gets destroyed from a trick or a bonus attack. Other than that, this zombie is not in a tribe that benefits from other cards and has low stats, so it becomes less useful in the late game. It can also be hard to use early game as well, as it can likely take up an entire turn to use. Still, it can put pressure on the plant hero because they know it'll come back when they destroy this.
Most of anything can destroy this. Sour Grapes can destroy it with ease, especially if the returned Haunting Ghost is on the field. In plant missions, Immorticia will likely have lots of these on field from the start. Consider using Scorched Earth immediately to ease the pressure.
- The Haunting Zombie is not a ghost; rather, it is a zombie with a white sheet on top of it.
- However, the Afterlife version is a real ghost.
- Its description is a nod to Cattail's Almanac entry on the first game, where it "refuses to be pigeonholed", just like the last line on Cattail's entry.
- Haunting Zombie and Octo Zombie are the only zombies with the Afterlife trait.
- Coincidentally, they are both premium Beastly zombies.