Haunting Zombie is a premium uncommon zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Beastly class. He costs 2 to play, and has 2/1. He has the Afterlife trait, which gives the zombie hero a Haunting Ghost card with identical stats when he is destroyed (unless the zombie hero has the maximum number of cards in their hand of ten), and no abilities.
Also, in the boss battle for the mission Haunting at Morbid Manor, Immorticia starts with three Haunting Zombies, again on the same lanes as before.
- Class: Beastly
- Tribe: Monster Zombie
- Trait: Afterlife
- Abilities: None
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Uncommon
Is he a Zombie? Is he a ghost? He refuses to be pigeonholed.
- Tribe change: Ghost → Monster
Because he has the Afterlife trait, you can play him once again safely on the next turn if the original Haunting Zombie gets destroyed from a trick or a bonus attack. Other than that, this zombie is not in a tribe that benefits from other cards and has low stats, so he becomes less useful in the late-game. He can also be hard to use early game as well, as he can likely take up an entire turn to use. Still, he can put pressure on the plant hero because he may easily come back when they destroy him. Decks that have few zombies can benefit with Haunting Zombie, as he can be replayed again. He is best used in Immorticia decks that focus on tricks, though he can also be used in The Smash decks that contain many expensive zombies.
Mostly anything can destroy this due to his low health. Sour Grapes can destroy him with ease, especially if the returned Haunting Ghost is on the field. In plant missions, Immorticia will likely have lots of these on field from the start.
Plants with the Splash Damage trait such as Lightning Reed, or tricks like Berry Blast, Scorched Earth, or Water Balloons can easily deal with him, although you need to repeat the procedure to completely destroy him due to his Afterlife trait.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Haunting Zombie.
- Haunting Zombie is not a ghost; rather, he is a zombie with a white sheet on top of him.
- However, Haunting Ghost, the Afterlife version of him, is a real ghost.
- His description is a nod to Cattails Almanac entry from Plants vs. Zombies, as "Refuses to be pigeonholed" is also the last line on Cattails entry.
- Haunting Zombie and Octo Zombie are the only cards with the Afterlife trait.
- Coincidentally, they are both premium Beastly zombies.