Groundcherry (灯笼草; pinyin: dēnglóng cǎo) is the sixth plant obtained in the Sky City in Chinese version of Plants vs. Zombies 2. It is the flying equivalent of Plantern, but unlike Plantern, its light will become weaker over time, then disappear. It can't be eaten nor destroyed. However, this plant does not affect the fog in Dark Ages. It is an environment modifier.
It is based on a groundcherry, more specifically Physalis alkekengi, commonly known as Chinese lantern or strawberry groundcherry.
Sun cost: 25
Groundcherry makes invisible zombies in visible state.
Special: It shines for some time and can't be attacked.
Plant feature: red plant, flying plantGroundcherry, Torchwood, and Snapdragon became inseparable friends, and called themselves "The three flame musketeers". But the Tiki Lounge is scared of serving them, because its owner does not want to see burnt tables again.
Plant Food effect
When fed with Plant Food, Groundcherry shows all invisible zombies on screen.
It makes all sun-producing plants on screen activate their Plant Food ability.
It can make all zombies hidden by the Arbiter-X's force field visible and targetable by plants and cannot be destroyed. However, the Arbiter-X does not hide itself and there are no Area-of-effect aerial plants so there is usually no slots for this plant and the player is better off destroying Arbiter-Xs with raw power.
The only thing that redeems this plant is it does activate other sun-producing plants' abilities using its costumed Plant Food ability, but there will be a scarce amount of Plant Food in Sky City levels, and the player may need a Power Lily, which decreases the number of usable slots.
- It and Plantern are the only plants to be based on lanterns.
- For some reason, on its Puzzle Pieces, it appears to be yellow, instead of red like it appears everywhere else.
- Its Almanac entry references Torchwood and Snapdragon.
- Its Almanac entry is similar to Torchwood's too, as they both mention the Tiki Lounge.
- The Chinese name of "Groundcherry," that is "灯笼草," should be a pun. As "灯笼" means "lantern" and "草" means "Grass." Also, "灯笼草" is another name for Plantern in Chinese.
- It is one of the three plants that have an ability to make other plants use their Plant Food effect, the others being Tile Turnip and Puff-shroom.
- It is the only Chinese plant with this trait.
- When planting it in the Last Stand, it will stay without disappearing.
- This will only work when the player waits as the time of Ground Cherry's shining passes.
- Its original Chinese name is exactly the same as Grass Lantern's, another Chinese exclusive plant.