Garlic is an event plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Guardian class. It costs 1 to play, and has 1/5. It has the Team-Up trait, and its ability moves a zombie onto the lane on its left when that zombie hurts it. However, if said zombie is Vimpire, it will instantly destroy him instead.
It was made available in the Weekly Event which ran from May 9, 2017, to May 16, 2017.
- Class: Guardian
- Tribe: Onion Plant
- Trait: Team-Up
- Ability: When a Zombie hurts this, move that Zombie to the left. If it's a Vimpire, destroy it.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Event
"Vimpires. They're the worst. I don't like to use the word "hate" but yeah, I hate 'em."
- Added to the game.
- ▲ Health change: 4 → 5
Garlic has the ability to divert zombies into a lane where they can easily be destroyed. You should not play it on the leftmost lane as it will nullify its ability. Try to boost Garlic's health so it can divert more zombies and keep in mind that it has the Team-Up trait.
This card is the best counter against Vimpire, as it will destroy him whenever he attacks Garlic, and only costs 1. This is especially useful on missions where the zombie hero plays Vimpire, as Garlic can take care of him easily. However, do not always rely on this ability as not every player plays Vimpire, and even then, there are a few ways that Vimpire can avoid its ability.
You can also use this as a low-offense but high-defense plant like Cactus, as Garlic can destroy 1 health zombies while it survives a few attacks. In addition, its Team-Up trait can help protect your strong plants and move any threats onto lanes for them to attack.
Never use Vimpire to get rid of Garlic as this will destroy him as soon as he attacks Garlic. Although if you need Frenzy zombies to attack through Garlic, you can bring Smashing Gargantuar or Coffee Zombie. Interestingly, when using this strategy, the zombie with Frenzy that destroys the Garlic will move to the left and then it does a bonus attack at that left lane. This can be useful if there are weak plants to the left of Garlic.
If you use a zombie to destroy it, be sure to remember that it will end up in the lane to the left after it attacks. A great way to combat it is to use cards like Terrify and Sumo Wrestler to move it to the leftmost lane. This will nullify its ability, which makes it easier to destroy. If that is not an option, resort to using tricks on this instead.
- Garlic moves the zombie to the immediate left of Garlic itself. This can be seen when a zombie in another lane such as Conga Zombie or Foot Soldier Zombie attacks it.
- It retains an almost identical appearance to its Plants vs. Zombies 2 incarnation.
- The fact that Garlic destroys Vimpires that hurt it is a reference to the myth that garlic is a weakness of vampires.
- It is also a reference to its Plants vs. Zombies 2 description, "Good against zombies, as well as proof against any vampires who might accidentally wander by."
- This is the only card whose ability can be activated towards another specific card.
- It is the only card in the game that is in the onion tribe.
- It is the first card to introduce a new tribe.
- With 5 for the cost of 1, it has the second health-per-cost ratio out of all plant fighters in the game. The first is Wall-Nut, having 6 health for the cost of 1 sun.