Gargologist is an event zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Hearty class. She costs 2 to play, and has 2/3. She does not have any traits, and her ability reduces the cost of all Gargantuar cards that are in the zombie hero's hand by 2. This ability stacks with each Gargologist on the field, and persists until all Gargologists are removed from the field.
She was added in the 2016 Feastivus event, but was not obtainable until the Gargantuar Week event. She was available from January 10, 2017 to January 17, 2017.
Her name might be a pun of garbologist, which means a person who studies modern refuse and trash as well as the use of trash cans, compactors and various types of trash can liners.
- Class: Hearty
- Tribe: Science Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: Gargantuars cost 2 less.
- Set: Event
After years of studying Gargantuars in the wild, she's dedicated herself to telling the world they're just misunderstood gentle giants. So far, nobody's buying it.
- Added to the game.
- Became craftable.
Gargologist is mainly useful for any Hearty hero as each zombie class has at least one Gargantuar card, but she is most useful with The Smash, as the Beastly class has the most Gargantuar cards out of all of them.
While Gargologist is on the field, you can play Gargantuar zombies such as Smashing Gargantuar, or even Gargantuar tricks like Zombot's Wrath for fewer brains after she is played in the previous round. If you are planning to play a Gargantuar card on a turn, play her first as her cost and ability combined allow for twice as much lawn coverage at the same brain cost, as well as decreasing the cost of every Gargantuar card drawn given Gargologist survives combat.
Each Hearty hero will be able to use this with any Gargantuar card, though more can be used with different classes:
- The Smash has the best use of Gargologist. Since he has access to more Gargantuar cards than any other Hearty hero, he can create any strategy with Gargantuars using Gargologist. For example, he can play Zombot 1000 earlier to turn the tide. His signature superpower, Slammin' Smackdown, is also a Gargantuar card, so he can combine this with Gargologist to allow him to play it for no cost.
- Rustbolt can use Gargologist in a science deck as a good zombie to use on turn 2, though cards like Beam Me Up could replace her for his ability to be played during the Zombie Tricks phase. He can also play Wizard Gargantuar early on to surprise his opponent.
- Z-Mech can combine this with Zombot's Wrath and Gargantuars' Feast, the latter of which he can play early on, making a potential game ender.
- Neptuna can combine this with Headstone Carver to make a very powerful Surprise Gargantuar early on. This strategy can also be applied to Rodeo Gargantuar.
Since she needs to stay alive to keep her ability in effect, try to boost her stats to increase her survivability. Fortunately, though, Gargologist is pretty tough for her cost. Playing Gargologist on Cone Zone allows her to survive Berry Blast or Fire Peashooter on turn 3. If you play as Rustbolt, you can use Teleport to play her in the Zombie Tricks phase.
Here is the list of Gargantuar cards that can be lowered when Gargologist is in play. The number represents the brain cost with the arrow shows the brain cost change, assuming exactly one Gargologist is on the field.
- Beastly (The Smash only):
- Brainy (Rustbolt only):
- Crazy (Z-Mech only):
- Sneaky (Neptuna only):
Try to destroy her as quickly as possible as the opponent can play dangerous Gargantuars early, such as Smashing Gargantuar, Imp-Throwing Gargantuar, and Surprise Gargantuar, which your opponent can play next turn. However, she is the most dangerous with The Smash, as he has access to the most Gargantuars out of all heroes that can normally use Gargologist. Because Gargologist has average stats, she can be easily destroyed with plant tricks such as Berry Blast.
- During her idle animation, she may occasionally swipe her hand at the hologram in front of her, changing it to a picture of a Gargantuar's head. After a couple of seconds, she swipes her hand at the hologram, changing it back to what it normally shows.
- Prior to an update, her mouth opened abnormally wide when attacking. This has since been fixed.
- She used to be glitched, as if she was destroyed by plants with Splash Damage trait such as Snapdragon, it would cause the game to softlock (triggers and events are hit out of order, causing the games script to break, and further game progression to be impossible).
- She, Zombology Teacher, Cheese Cutter, Flag Zombie, Cosmic Sports Star and Dr. Spacetime are the only zombies that can change the cost of zombie cards.
- She is the first female zombie in the Hearty class. The second is Zombology Teacher.
- Coincidentally, both are event cards, both are in the science tribe, and both have abilities that reduce the cost of the zombie hero's cards.
- She and Torchwood are the only cards to benefit a tribe without being in the tribe themselves.
- She can be obtained in the Gargantuar Pack, despite not being in the Gargantuar tribe.
- This is most likely because of her synergy with Gargantuars.