The Garden Variety DLC is the first DLC update of Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare which was released on March 19th, 2014. It included the alternate abilities, new maps, customization items, pirate zombies, and the Gnome Bomb mode.
New Spawnable Plants
- Pirate Zombie
- Conehead Pirate
- Buckethead Pirate
- Screen Door Pirate
- Imp Pirate
- Barrel Pirate
- Map Pirate
- New Map: Chomp Town – playable in Garden Ops, Team Vanquish and Gnome Bomb.
- New Game Mode: Gnome Bomb – be the 1st team to destroy all three gardens or graveyards with the explosive new Gnome Bomb.
- Pirates have invaded Port Scallywag and Sharkbite Shores in Garden Ops
- New Abilities for all characters – new character abilities are tucked away in the sticker shop (hint: Crazy Pack and higher are your best bet to get them! Supremium Pack, Incredi-Plant Pack & Vengeful Zomboss Pack have the highest chances to get them)
- 125 new customization items added to the sticker shop – spread across all characters/rarities.
- Added Doom-shroom potted plant consumable for plants – Added Barrel Pirate, Treasure Map Pirate consumable for zombies
- Improved reliability for the hold (B) interaction wheel – when reviving, building turrets etc.
- Added Bonus Score for playing Garden Ops Solo or with a friend.
- Added a min player requirement to each game mode.
- Tweaked various hats to improve overall visibility.
- Added improved audio to slow firing weapons to queue players when next shot is available
Gameplay Balance Changes
- Alternate Abilities – Gameplay tuned and balanced all new alternate character abilities to be balanced with existing abilities
- Corn Artillery – Some slight tweaks to gameplay and vfx for Corn Artillery at end of Main Street in Gardens & Graveyards
- Giga-Gargantuar – Increased damage radius for pole slam
- Mystic Flower – Some improvements to aiming
- Various stability & performance improvements.
- Toned down some vfx that were making things hard to see,
- Fix for players that were sometimes not getting their level up card packs and re-awarded those card packs to any impacted by this.
- Fix for characters able to spawn as a character on the opposing team but still be assigned to the previous team.
- Disabled 2 players able to spawn garden at same time in Garden Ops
- Fixed Engineer default Handlebars not being selectable once changed in customization.
- Fixed Peashooter smiley tattoo not being able to be acquired in sticker packs.
- Some general UI cleanup and polish.
- Fix for AI Engineers not building teleporters properly in Garden Ops.
- Fix to prevent Crazy Dave & Zomboss from flying through shark teeth in Sharkbite Shores.
- Various Map fixes to prevent players getting stuck and getting incorrect out of bounds messages when in bounds.
- Some Chomper animation clean up and polish.
- Added proper title to boasts on leaderboard.
- Fix for not getting extracted in Garden Ops when piloting drone standing in extraction circle.
- Fix for tallnut cannon not vanquishing players directly in front of it.
- Toned down challenges requiring players to plant Rare and Super Rare Consumables.
- Fix to disable other items able to be worn at same time as Astronaut Scientist helmet.
- Fix in split screen for zoom getting momentarily stuck when using abilities.
- Zoom fix issue when near potted plant or grave dirt that would kick players out of zoom when exiting range of pot/grave dirt.
- Fix for bossmode counting as player slot – allowing players to switch teams making teams unbalanced.
- Stats fix for total coins earned not tracking properly on individual characters .
- Fix for out of bounds message sometimes not disappearing if player dies out of bounds in split screen.
- Fix for potato mines sometimes still being active once destroyed for a few seconds.
- Fix for tombstone looping zombies forever when playing coop in single player and the tombstone challenge failed.
- Fixed exploit in bossmode where a player could collect infinite suns before the garden was planted in Garden Ops.
- Fix for Engineer Jackhammer that would stick out of engineer when chomper eating engineer gets vanquished before animation was complete .
- Fix for some characters not playing their reload animation client side
- Fix for Camera sometimes detaching from character when being shot from cannon in Driftwood Shores Gardens & Graveyards mode.
- Fix for Bags of Coins and diamonds coming up in slot machine in Garden Ops sometimes not awarding correct amount.
- Fix for Black screen sometimes being displayed joining at a specific point during post round cinematics.
- Fix for when character select screen would go under the world and look bad.
- Fix for vanquish icon sometimes displaying inconsistently.
- Fix for interactable yellow sparkles sometimes not playing on the correct item and generally being unreliable.
- Garden Ops fix for Bossmode player looking like unassigned player in leaderboard.
- Prevent player from being able to revive when vanquished out of bounds.
- Southpaw button layout option did not work properly for drones and has been corrected.
- Fixed responsiveness of weapons/abilities after spawning (there were a few seconds of limited input)
- Fixed video audio sometimes not getting turned off when skipping initial videos before reaching title menu