There are a large amount of different Game Versions of Plants vs. Zombies; the original, the Steam version, the iOS version, the Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 versions, the Game of the Year Version, the Nintendo DS version, the DSiWare version, the Windows Phone 7 and the online demo version. They vary in gameplay, quality, and even the playable modes. Plants vs. Zombies is also available in many languages, too.
Steam VersionThe Steam release of Plants vs. Zombies was on 5 May 2009 as the original available through Steam. It became different from the other versions when PopCap Games added twelve achievements to the game on 8th May 2009.
The game was updated to the Game of the Year edition, free of charge, on 8 August 2010.
- The Steam version was the same as the original, but with Achievements. However, the Achievements that could be unlocked were different than those in other versions with them.
- The prices for the full version on Steam is $9.99 . a half prices of Non-Steam GOTY Version from PopCap which is $19.99
Online Demo Version
- Main Article Plants vs. Zombies Web Version.
Popcap has an online version of Plants vs. Zombies on their official website. It is essentially an online demo to encourage players to buy the full version. It is also available for Google Chrome (Can be only open by Google Chrome Web Browser), Facebook, PopCap Korean Site and PopCap Japanese Site.
As this is only a demo of the full game, it does not include much of the content in the full release. The main differences between the online version and the full release include:
- A black and white Football Zombie called "Giga-Football Zombie" appears instead of the Gargantuar.
- There are fewer plants available for use.
- There are no Jack-in-the-Box Zombies. Instead, in Vasebreaker, it is replaced with Dynamite which explodes much like the Jack-in-the-Box Zombie.
- In Wall-nut Bowling (Level 1-5) when a Wall-nut hits a zombie it turns at a sharper angle than other versions
- In-game advertisements between levels.
- Zombies will not try to eat the instant kills.
- Inability to save the game which is a disadvantage.
- You can only play Adventure mode until Level 2-4
- There are fewer modes, with only Adventure Mode, Survival: Night (Endless) and Vasebreaker Endless.
- The Potato Mine being replaced with Squash.
- Codes not being included.
PlayStation 3, Vita, & Xbox 360
Plants vs. Zombies PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 version is one of Plants vs. Zombies version. This version of the game already came out with the XBLA and PSN Exclusive Mini-Game known as Heavy Weapon, Versus Mode, and Co-op added in as bonuses.
The PS Vita version comes without Versus Mode or Co-op, and has several features of its own. The first is the ability to Tilt the Vita system to collect Sun and Coins. Another feature is the usage of both Touchscreen and PS3 Controls as a user's preference. The last feature is a copy of Zombatar that has all the features of the GOTY Predecessor.
- Main Article Plants vs. Zombies iOS.
Plants vs. Zombies iOS version runs smoother than the PC version. It also includes retina graphics, making it the version with the best graphics. The iOS version also includes Quick Play mode, which lets the player replay their favorite levels from Adventure mode. The iOS version was the first Plants vs. Zombies version to be updated with the new Dancing Zombie. Another difference is that Mini-games and Puzzles must be purchased in highly-priced packs from Crazy Dave, encouraging players to use the in-app coin purchase feature. All Mini-game packs can be purchased for 50,000 coins each, I, Zombie game pack for 150,000 coins, Vasebreaker game pack for 150,000 coins, and Last Stand game pack for 100,000 coins.
- Main Article Plants vs. Zombies (Nintendo DS).
The Nintendo DS version of Plants vs. Zombies was released on January 18, Extern view of the box cover 2011 in the US and May in the UK. It is a version of Plants vs. Zombies for the Nintendo DS. In addition to the usual content it includes Versus Mode, new Mini-games and new Achievements. The DS Card will automatically read the system username. The DS Version has lower quality than other versions.
- Main Article Plants vs. Zombies Android.
The Android version of Plants vs. Zombies was free on the day of release, and now costs $0.99. It uses the unique Quick Play feature from the iOS Versions, and also includes Mini-games, Puzzle Mode, Survival Mode, and the Zen Garden. It's playable on some small screen Android device, while on older ones the screen will be completely black.
Plants vs. Zombies in Other Languages
Plants vs. Zombies PC version is also available for many languages i.e. Japanese, Spanish, English, Dutch, Chinese, Korean and many more, they can be download separately in different PopCap Website.
- It is unknown how could Plants vs. Zombies Chinese Version released while PopCap Chinese site has never found.
- It may have been hacked.
- PopCap Korea is on NCSoft website.
- The Japanese Version initial release of Plants vs. Zombies is GOTY version.
Plants vs. Zombies in other Languages available on XBLA too.