Frankentuar is an event zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Crazy class. It costs 5 to play, and has 5/5. It does not have any traits, and its ability gives it +1/+1 every time another zombie is destroyed.
Its name is a portmanteau of "Frankenstein," a novel written by Mary Shelley, referring to its appearance, and "Gargantuar," the type of zombie it is.
Its description is a reference to a famous quote by Victor Frankenstein, a young scientist who created Frankenstein (or Frankenstein's monster). But since Frankentuar is a zombie, it is undead.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Monster Gargantuar Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: This gets +1/+1 when a Zombie is destroyed.
- Set: Event
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALI-I-I-IVE! Ok, strictly speaking, it's not alive.
- Design change: Increased in size.
This zombie can be quite similar to Imp-Throwing Gargantuar in terms of costs and stats, but the similarities end there. Its ability only activates if another zombie is destroyed just like Valkyrie, which gets a small boost of +1/+1. Unlike Valkyrie, however, it must be on the field instead of in your hand.
Tricks like Final Mission to another zombie can help activate its ability. Imp-Throwing Gargantuar can generally pair well with this zombie as Imp-Throwing Gargantuar can create Swabbies in random lanes. Since Swabbies have low stats, they can be destroyed very easily and in turn, boost Frankentuar's stats. You can also play dancing zombies as they usually have low health. If the plant hero refuses to destroy your weak zombies, using Fireworks Zombie or Barrel of Deadbeards can help do this, but make sure Frankentuar has more than 1 health.
To utilize this zombie effectively, it is best to play it on the rightmost non-aquatic lane as zombies destroyed from the left of it will make it become stronger, which allows it to do additional damage and get more health before it engages in combat itself.
Each hero can use this zombie greatly:
- Z-Mech can play this zombie as early as turn 3 when Gargologist is on the field. This can be useful as his opponent may focus on destroying Gargologist, which will result in Frankentuar getting boosted.
- Electric Boogaloo can use this with Smashing Gargantuar to give it Frenzy, allowing it to destroy weak plants in front of it. He can also destroy plants in front of Frankentuar to prevent it from being destroyed.
- Professor Brainstorm can play this with Wizard Gargantuar to give it Bullseye. He also has Rocket Science to destroy a high-strength plant that can destroy this zombie.
- Impfinity can quickly swarm the field with weak zombies that can boost Frankentuar when destroyed. He can also combine this with Laser Base Alpha for a potential finisher.
Be very careful as plant tricks from the Guardian and Solar classes can destroy this zombie, especially Squash, Shamrocket, Lawnmower (if on the ground lane), or Doom-Shroom. A strategy to avoid this is to play bigger threats, as they will either have to leave it alone, or give it a stat boost. The same goes for Smarty heroes, who can Bounce Frankentuar off of the field, or Freeze it.
Statwise, this zombie is like an Imp-Throwing Gargantuar that does not create Swabbies. Instead, it gets buffed when another zombie gets destroyed. This can be dangerous when combined with swarms of zombies or Imp-Throwing Gargantuar. Try to avoid destroying any weak zombies if you cannot manage to destroy it as it can grow stronger. Other than that, you can easily destroy it using Shamrocket, Doom-Shroom, Squash, or any plant that has enough strength to destroy it.
- Prior to update 1.22.12, it was noticeably smaller than other zombies, especially other Gargantuars.
- This was likely a visual bug.
- Unlike the other Gargantuars in Plants vs. Zombies 2, it does not have a velociraptor skeleton in replacement of his arm and ribcage.