- For the version in Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, see Football Zombie (PvZA). For the similar zombie in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, see All-Star. For the similar zombie in Plants vs. Zombies 2, see Mecha-Football Zombie.
|Absorbs||80 normal damage shots|
|First seen||Level 2-6|
|Football Zombie gives 110 percent whenever he's on the field. He's a team player who delivers both offensively and defensively. He has no idea what a football is.|
Football Zombie is a tough and fast zombie which first appeared in Plants vs. Zombies and then in Plants vs. Zombies Adventures and Plants vs. Zombies: Great Wall Edition. Football Zombie himself without a helmet is only as strong as a Zombie, but the zombie cannot be damaged until his helmet is destroyed or stolen by a Magnet-shroom. There is also a giga version that is only found in the Plants vs. Zombies Web Version.
Football Zombie first appears in Level 2-6, and he is the eighth zombie encountered in Adventure Mode. The player gets the Hypno-shroom after beating Level 2-5, so he or she can try to hypnotize the Football Zombie to make the level easier. Later, the player can use the Magnet-shroom to remove the football helmet in order to make the Football Zombie very weak. Football Zombie appears in many mini-games and all Survival Mode levels.
Suburban Almanac entry
Football Zombie makes the big plays.
Toughness: very high
Football Zombie gives 110 percent whenever he's on the field. He's a team player who delivers both offensively and defensively. He has no idea what a football is.
Football Zombie absorbs 80 normal damage shots, and his appearance changes upon absorbing 24, 47, 70 (at this point, the football helmet is destroyed), and 75 normal damage shots before dying at 80 normal damage shots.
- Adventure Mode: 2-6, 2-7, 2-10, 3-2, 3-5, 4-2, 4-5, 5-4, 5-10
- Mini-games: It's Raining Seeds, Beghouled, Beghouled Twist, Big Trouble Little Zombie, Portal Combat, Column Like You See 'Em, Last Stand, Dr. Zomboss's Revenge, Buttered Popcorn, Heavy Weapon, BOMB All Together!, Zombie Trap, Sunny Day, Big Time
- Puzzle Mode: Chain Reaction, M is for Metal, Scary Potter, I, Zombie (Level), All your brainz r belong to us, I, Zombie Endless, all Last Stand (Puzzle Mode) levels except Last Stand: Fog
- Survival Mode: all levels
- Co-op Mode: all levels except Co-op Day and Co-op Bowling
- Others: Versus Mode
The Suburban Almanac advises the use of a Magnet-shroom, reducing the maximum absorption to ten normal damage shots. He is very fast and has a lot of health. The use of heavy damage plants, such as Melon-pult or movement restricting plants, such as Snow Pea, Kernel-pult, and Winter Melon, are other options. In general, just pile tons of fire power onto him. If these options are unavailable, use an instant kill. Hypno-shrooms are also good against them in earlier levels if the player has not obtained other instant kills. Spikeweed and Spikerock can heavily damage the zombie as he approaches the player's plants, though the two are better when in front of a Wall-nut, Tall-nut or a Pumpkin to stall him while being damaged. Also, Gatling Pea is useful to weaken their helmets quickly, once the player buys them. Using Gatling Pea is better when combined with Torchwood.
Deploy this zombie when very large amounts of damage needs to be absorbed (sometimes, it may be more efficient to use a Ladder Zombie, instead of one if there is a Snow Pea, as frequently less damage would need to be absorbed if the zombie in that row was able to move at a normal speed, and the freezing effect can't go through the ladder). Also, avoid using when there are Magnet-shrooms around, as it will remove the football helmet and render the Football Zombie almost useless.
- Main article: Giga-Football Zombie
Giga-Football Zombie is a black and white Football Zombie that is only seen in the online versions of Survival Mode and Vasebreaker. Giga-Football Zombie has the health of a Gargantuar except that he moves around faster, has to chew on plants to kill them, and has no Imp to throw. Unlike normal Football Zombies, Giga-Football Zombie has spikes on his shoulder plate.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies
- Football Zombie is the only zombie that appears in Plants vs. Zombies and Plants vs. Zombies Adventures but not in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Most zombies lose their left arm when they take enough damage. The Football Zombie loses his right arm instead (unless he has eaten a Hypno-shroom).
- If a Football Zombie chews on a Garlic, he will not stop and make a face, but he will instead go instantly to another lane.
- Football Zombie's helmet is available in the Xbox Live Marketplace for 160 Microsoft Points.
- Football Zombie himself has the same hit points as a regular zombie (ten hit points); the only reason why his toughness is so high is because of his helmet, which absorbs seventy hit points. Because of this, Football Zombie's hit points is oddly on par with an Imp, despite him being much bigger than the Imp, and he has less hit points than a Pole Vaulting Zombie or Ladder Zombie (seventeen hit points each).
- If a Football Zombie is hit by butter while running, it may freeze him in mid-air, while running. This may also happen if he is frozen by an Ice-shroom.
- He is the one of the fastest moving headwear zombies, with the others being Balloon Zombie and Digger Zombie while he is underground.
- Football Zombie, Giga-Football Zombie, Zombie Bobsled Team, Balloon Zombie, Dancing Zombie, Backup Dancers, and Imp are the only zombies that fall backwards when they die.
- Football Zombie has the second toughest headwear, the toughest being Giga-Football Zombie's headwear.
- In the Nintendo DS version of the game, when a Football Zombie loses his arm, instead of showing his arm falling off, the game shows the arm of an ordinary Zombie falling off.
- It is odd that the football helmet protects Football Zombie from projectiles and some plants like Spikeweed, as they mostly hit him in the other body parts except for lobbed-shot plants.
- A Spikeweed and a Spikerock can still damage Football Zombie when he is in mid-air.
- Football Zombie (with helmet) makes the same sound when hit as Conehead Zombie and Digger Zombie.
- Football Zombie is one of three zombies to have facepaint, the others being Gatling Pea Zombie and Giga-Football Zombie. All of those characters all have their facepaint under their eyes.
- It is unknown how Football Zombie is able to eat with his helmet on, as the mouth guard would prevent that, although his headwear still has holes for his mouth which are pretty big.
- Football Zombie is the most powerful zombie to show up in a first wave as he was in Column Like You See 'Em (not including Survival: Endless).
- In the Nintendo DS version of the game, Football Zombie eats and runs faster.
- On the I, Zombie seed packet for this zombie, his head is bigger than it should be.
- Football Zombie, Dancing Zombie (when approaching), Zombie Yeti, and the hypnotized zombies (excluding Football Zombie) are the only zombies that lose their right arm before death.
- Despite what other sources say, a Football Zombie can be more dangerous than a Gargantuar.
- Newspaper Zombie (after the newspaper is destroyed), Football Zombie, and Giga-Football Zombie are the only Zombies which are looking straight to the players house.
- It is unknown how Football Zombies can kick up dirt on the Roof.
- Many promotional images for the game show the Football Zombie as having a piece of dirt stuck in the mouth guard of his helmet.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars
- He attacks plants by shooting footballs at them.