Fire Chomper is the Rare fire variant of the Chomper in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. Along with the Fire Cactus, Fire Pea, Fire Flower, BBQ Corn, and Fire Rose, he is one of the six fire-based variants on the plants side.
The Fire Chomper enjoys chasing the Zombies around, using his intimidating flames to make them flee."
Fire Chomper belches flames, dealing fire damage over time.
Instead of the normal purple head the Chomper has, the Fire Chomper's head looks to have a lava texture. Its mouth appears to be on fire.
The Fire Chomper's basic attack is not a bite, but he breathes out fire to harm nearby zombies instead. The fire breath itself deals ten damage continuously, and causes damage over time to the zombies at a rate of five damage per second for a few seconds after the enemy is hit. He is still able to swallow a zombie whole from behind, however.
An additional benefit to the fire breath is it bypasses additional defenses on NPC zombies such as screen doors, coffins, barrels, and even outhouses making short work of heavily defended zombies, similar to the Fume-shroom.
Flame Spray is the primary weapon of the Fire Chomper. It deals ten damage continuously and five damage for every second for four seconds.
Goop is Chompers' only "ranged" attack, purple goo is spit out. If an enemy is directly hit, they will take light amounts of damage over time, obtain lower speed (including turning around), and preventing the use of their abilities, making the zombie an easy target to chomp.
Burrow allows the Chomper burrows underground to cover a large distance quickly or to ambush zombies. Can easily be countered by Engineer's Sonic Grenade. While burrowing, the time remaining in burrow mode is displayed in a meter at the bottom of the screen, called Dig Power. Not moving will reduce the rate at which the Dig Power is consumed. The player may remain motionless once activating Burrow for approximately 15 seconds before being forced back to the surface.
Chomper deploys a Spikeweed, which snare zombies that step on it, making it defenseless from its adversaries and hung upside-down (deals 25x2 damage) for a short period of time or until being vanquished. Any zombies using improvised armor will have their armor destroyed by being caught in a Spikeweed, leaving them vulnerable. The Spikeweed can be damaged and destroyed by zombies. The player can have three Spikeweeds.
Super Sticky Goop
An alternate ability of Goop, Super Sticky Goop renders an enemy zombie unable to move, with the same reduced turn speed as normal goop. The downside is that the cool down is twice of the normal goop and its damage is halved.
An alternate ability of Burrow, Sprint Burrow is just like Burrow, but faster and leaves the player underground with a shorter time.
An alternate ability of Spikeweed, Spiky Spikeweed does increased damage to zombies caught for a total of 70 damage (35x2 damage). The downside is that only two can be stockpiled at a time, versus the regular three.
An alternate ability of Spikeweed, Vampweed doesn't deal any damage, but it will heal you a total of 40 hp (10x4 hp) and still snaring zombies. Like the Spiky Spikeweed, only 2 can be stockpiled at a time.
An alternate ability of Goop, the Chomp Cannon does not goop zombies, but rather launches a projectile from the Chomper's mouth after a second that deals a great amount of damage if it hits a zombie. This is useful for attacking Zombies on the rooftops.
Fire Chomper moves slightly below blazing speed.
Reduced chance of heartburn decreases digestion time when eating Zombies.
Flame Hardened Skin
Flame hardened skin provides extra health boost.
Although Fire Chomper has a spray that allows him to fight at slightly longer range, you should still play him as you would any other Chomper. The fire affect allows you to deal lots of damage when combined with the spray's initial damage. Combining this with Goop or Spikeweed works well to stack up the damage in a hurry.
- ▲ Digestion time was decreased after a chomp escape (i.e. victim got away using anti-chomp ability like Jackhammer).
- ▼ Brought Chompers regeneration delay to parity with all other playable characters.
- Tuned Chomper camera to be closer to that in Garden Warfare.
- ▲ Improved all digestion time upgrade multipliers.
- ▲ Increased overheat time from 1s to 1.25s.
- ▼ Fire DOT damage was decreased from 5 to 4.
- ▲ Number of damage ticks were increased from 4 to 5.
- ▼ Damage was decreased from 10 to 8.
- He appears to have slight range increase with his primary attack, the Flame Spray.
- When the player gives him accessories, his mouth will not burn anymore.
- He may be a reference to the Venus Fire Trap from the Super Mario games.
- He deals the same damage and fire rate as the potted plant Snap Dragon, however it does not increase damage over time.
- When he is using Flame Spray and an All-Star uses Sprint Tackle on it, the flame has a visible range while he is flying away.
- He, Fire Pea, Yeti Chomper and Garlic Drone are the only plants mentioned in another plant's Stickerbook entry. Fire Chomper is mentioned in Power Chomper's entry.
- He is redesigned in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. He now has an all-yellow mouth, yellow spots, and reddish spikes.